It was 20 years ago today, Coach Boeheim taught the team to play. | Syracusefan.com

It was 20 years ago today, Coach Boeheim taught the team to play.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
To paraphrase the Beatles and Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

The greatest game in Syracuse Basketball history. Yes, we sold our soul to win one NC. Who would have thought the heartbreaks since. I don't even want to rehash them, but let's hope Red can right the ship.

Happy 20 years. I'm sure everyone remembers it vividly. Thank you JAB, and Melo and Hak and Gerry and Kueth and Billy and Craig and Josh and Jeremy and everyone else connected with the 2003 Syracuse basketball program.

The naked fool in the tree?

Or the fool grabbing his ass?
Not me.

I was in New Orleans doing similar things. Actually I might have been the only sober Syracuse fan at the team hotel.

I have never seen so many really happy, really drunk people as that night. The hotel lobby was absolutely packed with Syracuse fans.

It was a wild scene.

Not me.

I was in New Orleans doing similar things. Actually I might have been the only sober Syracuse fan at the team hotel.

I have never seen so many really happy, really drunk people as that night. The hotel lobby was absolutely packed with Syracuse fans.

It was a wild scene.
Guilty as charged. To this day, it remains the greatest day of my life -- happy anniversary everyone!! (and hard to believe it has been 20 years already). But yes Tom, that hotel lobby sure was a blast after the game.

1680873322364.jpeg

One of the best days of my life.

I remember going into work, being completely unable to concentrate, and reading everything I could about the game. I'd written the pre-game summary for Mason's OrangeNation site, and there was an epic thread about the game on the version of this forum that existed back then, and I spent the whole morning posting about the game.

Ended up leaving around lunch time, since I wasn't getting anything done. Went and worked out and went for run, just to kill time. Was climbing the walls all day.

The first half was unbelievable. At the end, when we hung on to win, instead of feeling jubilant, I just felt relieved. Winning it all went a long way toward exorcising the demons of '87 and '96 for me.

One of the best days of my life.

I remember going into work, being completely unable to concentrate, and reading everything I could about the game. I'd written the pre-game summary for Mason's OrangeNation site, and there was an epic thread about the game on the version of this forum that existed back then, and I spent the whole morning posting about the game.

Ended up leaving around lunch time, since I wasn't getting anything done. Went and worked out and went for run, just to kill time. Was climbing the walls all day.

The first half was unbelievable. At the end, when we hung on to win, instead of feeling jubilant, I just felt relieved. Winning it all went a long way toward exorcising the demons of '87 and '96 for me.

So many stories from that whole weekend really between watching at the Dome, Marshall street... craziness at B/B that evening...

What a day. I remember deciding the evening before that I had to go (from atlanta) and writing my bosses/clients asking if ok. Coordinated with someone from the board who I’d never met (and haven’t since!) to meet up when I got to town and spend the day together. Was on the road in Alabama when I got the ok from work (worst case I woulda turned around and missed a couple hours). My future wife booked a hotel while I was en route. Had tickets procured within 7 minutes of entering New Orleans and proceeded to have just about the best 24 hours of my life.

What a game. Watched it in my buddies place on Ackerman. We had a rather serious ice storm the weekend leading up to the game and there were piles of downed branches and limbs stacked up along the sides of the roads in Syracuse. When the game was over we headed outside to make our way to Marshall St. Many of those piles were ablaze as celebrating students set the night on fire in their revelry. The walk to Marshall was bathed in the sound of Syracuse fire trucks being dispatched. What a wild night and an even better memory.

I think I may have been at a bar in Georgetown......incidentally going to bar there is about the ONLY reason to be there.

I have never felt such exhilaration before or since. And this was for a sporting event! My wedding? Nope. Having my two babies? Ouch! Nope. I am talking the sheer adrenaline of exhilaration that lasted for hours and days. I have had many blissful moments in my life but nothing like the ZIIIIINNNNNG of that championship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom