It'll always be Georgetown | Syracusefan.com

It'll always be Georgetown

In a few years the student at SU will have no idea about Georgetown.

No one cares about the HooDoo or whatever anymore either.

Gotta love though how GTown's old AD and Big John weren't on the same page about doing what's in the best interests of that conference.

I think if we get one more crack at NC State in the tourney this year ...

Uconn was a bigger rival for us after Big John left. Nothing will match the rivalry we had when he was at Georgetown.

Uconn was a bigger rival for us after Big John left. Nothing will match the rivalry we had when he was at Georgetown.
UConn became a much better and more successful program.
A tougher matchup.
But G-town was and is the Arch-rival.

What's the difference?
I really want to beat UConn. But I respect their success.
On the other hand, I despise G-town with every fiber...even just writing this my blood is starting to boil.
It happens from just thinking about those despicable $#@^&! and all their phony posturing.

The sad thing is, a lot of people who became SU fans in the past two decades don't seem to make that distinction.
There's little sense of SU tradition or history.
And now that we're in the ACC...it dissipates further.

Getting G-town on our schedule should be a top priority.

A tougher matchup.

What's the difference?
On the other hand, I despise G-town with every fiber...even just writing this my blood is starting to boil.
It happens from just thinking about those despicable $#@^&! and all their phony posturing.

The sad thing is, a lot of people who became SU fans in the past two decades don't seem to make that distinction.

Its seems like getting Gtown on the schedule is more a priority for the Syracuse administration than it is for Gtown. It should be reversed at this point. Will be interesting to see what they do with the contract we sent them.

A tougher matchup.

What's the difference?

The reason people 25 and under don't understand the Gtown rivalry is purely on Gtown. They promoted Escherick, and they went in the crapper, while UConn was winning.

But honestly the Gtown you talk about was pretty much the Ewing years. I'm old enough to vaguely remember the Mutombo/Mourning years, but I think the "paranoia" was starting wane. By the Page/Iverson years, they were knuckleheads and you hated them, but they weren't vicious on the court like Ewing teams.

The reason people 25 and under don't understand the Gtown rivalry is purely on Gtown. They promoted Escherick, and they went in the crapper, while UConn was winning.

But honestly the Gtown you talk about was pretty much the Ewing years. I'm old enough to vaguely remember the Mutombo/Mourning years, but I think the "paranoia" was starting wane. By the Page/Iverson years, they were knuckleheads and you hated them, but they weren't vicious on the court like Ewing teams.

The 80's were the "Thug-U" years, also, they went from "Big John" to JT Lite and that lessened it as well.

While I respect and love the rivalry that once was, it just isn't the same. Not to say it no longer exists, it does, but just not close to the same intensity. It feels like this rivalry is on life support... perhaps we should just pull the plug and move on. I know that probably won't be a popular sentiment around here, but that's how I feel about it. I'm all for continuing to schedule them but at the same time, wouldn't lose any sleep over it either. Gtown is simply irrelevant. It's really too bad it has gotten to this point because it will never be the same and the kind of rivalry that we had, particularly in the 80's, was very special looking back at it.

Not in the same world as the hate for g-town and I hate Pitt. I almost can't type because of the hatred I feel just thinking their name.

It's all dependent on your age. I hate Pitt much more than Gtown, simply because of the era I grew up watching. There's no right answer because times change.

It's all dependent on your age. I hate Pitt much more than Gtown, simply because of the era I grew up watching. There's no right answer because times change.
G-town did so many things to be hated for. Fights. They disgust me.

Col. Bleep said:

I don't understand why people want to schedule them so badly. We already get complaints yearly about our crappy out of conference SOS.

Right now I am in the GTown haters camp. Hard to forget the Ewing & Michael Graham years - not to mention the Manley is closed statement. And those were only the highlight incidents - there were many, many more.

However, that being said, if we don't play them and especially if they descend to mediocrity it will be hard to keep up the acrimony for season after season when we will have new and ugly rivals to hate that we actually are playing once or twice every season.

As much as I want to cling to my hate of GTown, I suspect there will be a time coming relatively soon when i will have to let go.

As a 20 year old who can remember games since the 2000 season I'd say the rivals of the 21st century are..

1. Pittsburgh
2. Villanova
3. Uconn
4. G Town
5. UL

Its seems like getting Gtown on the schedule is more a priority for the Syracuse administration than it is for Gtown. It should be reversed at this point. Will be interesting to see what they do with the contract we sent them.

Meh, the contract was about PR - Georgetown's main interest is in complaining about how Syracuse killed the rivalry. Having a contract that Syracuse has signed sitting unsigned on their desk kinda cuts off that angle. I think Syracuse knows Georgetown won't sign off on a deal that doesn't let them play ticket games, so Cuse knows the contract won't be signed. And more importantly, I doubt JB or Gross care one bit, either.

While I respect and love the rivalry that once was, it just isn't the same. Not to say it no longer exists, it does, but just not close to the same intensity. It feels like this rivalry is on life support... perhaps we should just pull the plug and move on. I know that probably won't be a popular sentiment around here, but that's how I feel about it. I'm all for continuing to schedule them but at the same time, wouldn't lose any sleep over it either. Gtown is simply irrelevant. It's really too bad it has gotten to this point because it will never be the same and the kind of rivalry that we had, particularly in the 80's, was very special looking back at it.
Agree. This is basketball's version of "you never can go back home again."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom