It's a tough way to make a living | Syracusefan.com

It's a tough way to make a living

SWC75

Bored Historian
I like boxing. it's exciting and a really good boxer is a heck of an athlete and pleasure to watch. I recognize the downside of it but take a libertarian attitude: if they want to do it and they want people to watch them do it, I'll watch. I don't like the idea of outsiders moving in and preventing people from doing what they want to do.

Today's fight between British star Kell Brook, (he had the IBF welterweight title) and fast rising American prospect Errol Spence Jr. was a terrific battle between two very talented fighter (combined record coming in: 67-1 with 43 knockouts), who could punch, move, throw combinations, jab, fight inside - the whole thing. They were also good strategical fighters, sizing each other up, looking for weaknesses. it made for a fascinating show.

That one loss was Brook's, last year against intimidating middleweight champion Genady Golovkin. I saw that fight and Brook was was actually doing well against "Triple G" (his middle name is "Gennadyevich") when brook suffered a fracture of his right eye socket. His corner refused to let him come out for the 6th round. He had to have an operation to reconstruct his eye socket with titanium. This was his first fight since and he performed very well. I had him winning the first two rounds and the 5th and 6th.

But Spence's body punching eventually wore him out and brought his arms down and Brook took a beating to the face after that. One eye was closing and in the 10th, Brook sank to a knee and refused to continue. They examined him after the fight and - his left eye socket was broken!

http://www.espn.com/boxing/

Spence landed 246 punches to 136 for Brook. Can you imagine being punched even 136 times, much less 246? Brook earned a lot of respect but he'd earn even more if the decided to look for another line of work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom