It's Official: Premier Lacrosse League Announces Formation for 2019 Season | Syracusefan.com

It's Official: Premier Lacrosse League Announces Formation for 2019 Season

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
It's Official: Premier Lacrosse League Announces Formation for 2019 Season

The initial release is an impressive showing for PLL, confirming previously reported details such as founding investment partners and the league’s plan to form six teams for a 14-week, 12-market tour based model in the summer of 2019, and provide players with league equity, a salary and health insurance. Moreover, the announcement included news of a linear and digital broadcast partnership with NBC Sports that’ll see two games air on NBC, 17 on NBC Sports Network and 20 games on NBC Sports Gold, the network’s digital streaming platform.

Should be interesting to follow.

Here's a list of Syracuse players who've decided to play.

A Kevin Rice Syracuse
M Steven Brooks Syracuse
M JoJo Marasco Syracuse
M Jovan Miller Syracuse
M Sergio Salcido Syracuse
LSM Joel White Syracuse
D John Lade Syracuse
D Brandon Mullins Syracuse
G John Galloway Syracuse

DqHpmKcUUAAbhz6.jpg

If my calculations are correct, the entire MLL season next year will be Dylan Donahue vs. Nick Mariano in a series of braveheart style 1 v 1 games in various US cities. Good luck to both of them.

Shots fired...

this is exactly what I expected to happen. the PLL was necessary--and still is. the MLL has NOT been paying the players the amount of money they deserve. "excess of $9 billion in assets" and these players who are professionals are only getting paid 10k-30k a year? ridiculous. hopefully the competitiveness between the two leagues will make each league improve every year to where players coming out of college can make this their primary focus rather than having a 9-5.

With cny being a hotbed, I assume we will see a tour stop around these parts. Here’s hoping.

Interesting how the MLL failed to mention the failure of the franchises in LA, San Fran, Hamilton, Philly and Chicago and twice in Rochester.

With cny being a hotbed, I assume we will see a tour stop around these parts. Here’s hoping.
I would say there is a very slim (like almost 0) chance there will a tour stop in Syracuse, let alone upstate NY. Not enough money for it to come to Syracuse. Think Dallas, San Diego, LA, SF, Austin, NYC/NJ/Conn, DC/Baltimore, Denver. This will be about emerging markets, media markets and investors.

FYI, I asked via social media and a member of Pauls staff said cny is definitely on the short list. Might be all talk, but that would be great.

I would say there is a very slim (like almost 0) chance there will a tour stop in Syracuse, let alone upstate NY. Not enough money for it to come to Syracuse. Think Dallas, San Diego, LA, SF, Austin, NYC/NJ/Conn, DC/Baltimore, Denver. This will be about emerging markets, media markets and investors.

MLS venues.

I think the PLL is probably a mistake. I don't know that it is really good for lacrosse.
When you look at the major pro-sports like football and baseball, there is a lot to building up fan loyalty in a location, i.e., you have your Cowboy fans, Redskin fans, Yankee fans, ... The MLL being in locations is trying to build that.

I think the PLL is probably a mistake. I don't know that it is really good for lacrosse.
When you look at the major pro-sports like football and baseball, there is a lot to building up fan loyalty in a location, i.e., you have your Cowboy fans, Redskin fans, Yankee fans, ... The MLL being in locations is trying to build that.
I'd bet that an AFL/NFL style merger is down the road at some point. This is probably a way for players to get a bigger piece of the (tiny) pie.

As a complete outsider, I think the PLL is ahead right now. They definitely won the talent war during this breakup. He's a good lacrosse player, but when Colin Heacock is the third biggest name in your league, you have a lack of talent. I'm also not too sure how many people are going to show up to a MLL game when the big stars are Max Adler and Liam Byrnes. The PLL will also have larger attendance than the MLL because of the location movements instead of being in the same city for a whole season.
The NBC deal is huge for the PLL also. 2 games on NBC and 17 on NBC sports is big time. Not sure that the MLL will get a game on anything more than watchESPN or maybe a championship game on ESPN2, but if attendance and viewership is bad, that won't happen.

I think this will be settled after this season. Where will the current seniors in college now play professionally? If the PLL doesn't expand, they won't need to replace many of the athletes they currently have and the MLL will control most of this class' talent in the space that they need to replace. But if the MLL attendance and viewship is way down, it could spell disaster after all of the investment they have recently made in response to the PLL and they could fold or have to downsize. Hopefully whatever ends up happening between these leagues is best for the game of lacrosse in the future, I am just not sure exactly what that is at this moment (permanent franchises or games around the country in developing areas).

I'm getting the impression that I'm one of the few people who thinks that this league is destined for failure...big time.

The MLL and PLL will merge. The players will get a livable wage and there will be city-based teams. Neither model is sustainable on its own. I’ll watch PLL games if they’re easy to access because I love watching lacrosse played at a high level, but I’m not going to give a rip which team wins. That won’t change until they’re city-based and I can develop a loyalty. But I won’t develop a loyalty until pro lacrosse becomes more than a semi-pro novelty.

For years the MLL has operated with a small-minded "penny wise, pound foolish" mentality. I personally know several players and nobody can sustain themselves as an athlete without another source of income. A guy like Paul Rabil can because he of his sponsorships; everyone else either has to run 4 lacrosse youth teams/clinics or sit behind a desk so they can still play MLL.

The best conditioned athletes are the guys right out of college who were playing 7 days a week. Then players degenerate into "beer league" athletes since they just play on the weekends with little or no team practices. Its not about whats fair or not as far as wages; its about giving this sport the best opportunity to put an elite level of players on the field that people will want to watch.

Kudos to Paul and all the people who are jumping in with him on this. MLL has been a lousy custodian of the game and lately seem to become lazy. They generally play in less than ideal stadiums (although Dallas is a nice upgrade), are no longer shown on TV and only made these schedule and financial changes AFTER the threat of the PLL.

I think the PLL eventually swallows up a few of the MLL franchises that they want with new owners who will actually invest in the product.

I'm going to let the Major Leagues figure themselves out, while I watch the 2008 semifinal, 2008 final, 2009 final, and 2019 Cuse national championships all summer.

I am not a fan of any of the pro leagues. While I love the game, the whole thing is kind of a farce at the moment that can side track a 24 year old kid for 10 years while he patches a living together and chases down a dream that's going nowhere (at the expense of a real career). Unfortunately, there is not a good solution for today's "pro pioneers" = perhaps 10-15 years from now, being a pro lacrosse player will really mean something and all of the players will be compensated in a way that they can make a career out of it.

I am not a fan of any of the pro leagues. While I love the game, the whole thing is kind of a farce at the moment that can side track a 24 year old kid for 10 years while he patches a living together and chases down a dream that's going nowhere (at the expense of a real career). Unfortunately, there is not a good solution for today's "pro pioneers" = perhaps 10-15 years from now, being a pro lacrosse player will really mean something and all of the players will be compensated in a way that they can make a career out of it.

Strange post. Plenty of time in life to become a working stiff or have a real career? What is a real career? Kind up to the individual here and 99% have a degree to fall back on.

Strange post. Plenty of time in life to become a working stiff or have a real career? What is a real career? Kind up to the individual here and 99% have a degree to fall back on.

They all have "real careers" during the week, and they play LAX on the weekends.