It's still far too early to tell, but... | Syracusefan.com

It's still far too early to tell, but...

Rocco

Watching you.
If anyone doesn't think Dungey has made an improvement over last season is simply misguided.

To name a few:

• He added 15-20 pounds of muscle for the "pocket presence cushion"
  • Worked extensively on his throwing mechanics (still not perfect by any means, but better)
  • Studied relentlessly with Lewis and Babers (fact)
  • Sets up additional throwing sessions with Ishmael, ET, Bris and Erv
  • A few of those sideline throws were great (again not perfect, but Nassib would've thrown those into Section 317)
  • Become more of a locker room and huddle leader (lacked this last year)

The list could frankly go on and on. He will improve greatly as the season goes on. I'm putting huge expectations on him, I know, but so is Babers and Lewis.

The kid is all-in. Don't try and think anything else. He is going to be one of the all-time greats at Cuse IMO.

If anyone doesn't think Dungey has made an improvement over last season is simply misguided.

To name a few:

• Worked extensively on his throwing mechanics (still not perfect by any means, but better)
  • A few of those sideline throws were great (again not perfect, but Nassib would've thrown those into Section 317)

The list could frankly go on and on. He will improve greatly as the season goes on. I'm putting huge expectations on him, I know, but so is Babers and Lewis.

The kid is all-in. Don't try and think anything else. He is going to be one of the all-time greats at Cuse IMO.

Yup. I would add that Babers system would be in far more trouble if Dungey was not found by Lester. The stars aligned quite well here. With Devito coming in, we should be in great shape for next 5 years!

Some might cringe at this comment but in a college setting, there is no greater compliment - he's got a little bit of that Tebow factor. That scramble TD flip against Colgate is just one of probably 20 plays like that he will make this year.

Dungey has talent and from what we can tell, a great work ethic, but he also has something you can't teach - and that's the "it" factor.

With Dungey and Devito coming in, Babers and our system, we will be back in the Top 25 and playing in Top Tier Bowls within a few years. I fully believe that.

Some might cringe at this comment but in a college setting, there is no greater compliment - he's got a little bit of that Tebow factor. That scramble TD flip against Colgate is just one of probably 20 plays like that he will make this year.

Dungey has talent and from what we can tell, a great work ethic, but he also has something you can't teach - and that's the "it" factor.

With Dungey and Devito coming in, Babers and our system, we will be back in the Top 25 and playing in Top Tier Bowls within a few years. I fully believe that.
He tries that scramble flip against a good team, it's an interception.

He tries that scramble flip against a good team, it's an interception.
We'll see. If Tankersley for Clemson is in coverage instead of random Colgate player, maybe it gets broken up but I didn't see anything on that play that we got super lucky on not turning it over.

To name a few:

It's a safe bet Dungey will rewrite the SU record book...

The battle between him and Devito next year will be epic. I fully expect Dungey to retain his starting role, but Devito will pressure him. That said, not going to think much of it right now. We're 1-0 and all I really care about is beating Louisville.

Very pleased with the improvements. Also glad to see Mahoney was not throwing the ball into the turf. I know the Syracuse sample size is small, but I like the system Babers is installing. If these kids are buying into and we can see marked improvement, then there is something good going on inside that Dome.

Combined 40-46 in passing. That is an excellent percentage (87%)!

Very pleased with the improvements. Also glad to see Mahoney was not throwing the ball into the turf. I know the Syracuse sample size is small, but I like the system Babers is installing. If these kids are buying into and we can see marked improvement, then there is something good going on inside that Dome.

Combined 40-46 in passing. That is an excellent percentage (87%)!

Yeah, with Mahoney in there was no drop off in tempo, and no throws directly into the turf. If he's forced to play, I think we'll still be ok against the teams we need to beat.

I'm excited to see Riley and Butler get more run as the season progresses. More athletes = better.

Yeah, with Mahoney in there was no drop off in tempo, and no throws directly into the turf. If he's forced to play, I think we'll still be ok against the teams we need to beat.

I'm excited to see Riley and Butler get more run as the season progresses. More athletes = better.

Babers system is geared to have QB use their strengths which builds lots of confidence. They make adjustments as needed and make the decision to whom they will throw. Both QBs seemed very comfortable. I would almost bet that the other QBs would look good with this system.

The battle between him and Devito next year will be epic. I fully expect Dungey to retain his starting role, but Devito will pressure him. That said, not going to think much of it right now. We're 1-0 and all I really care about is beating Louisville.
The battle between Dungey, Mahoney, Culpepper, and Devito will be epic next year.

Add Moe Neal to that list.

Philips, UMD Transfer, Ishmael, Estime, Butler, Riley, Strickland, Neal. Maybe even Enoicy and Custis? Not ready to lump Fredricks into the mix as I think he may fall out of favor, but that's quite a list of skill position players that can do some things.

We'll see. If Tankersley for Clemson is in coverage instead of random Colgate player, maybe it gets broken up but I didn't see anything on that play that we got super lucky on not turning it over.
Dungy probably would have been tackled, actually.

I don't know man. Dungey is going to be the unquestioned man until the day he steps foot of campus. Devito will be more of an apprentice than someone competing for his job.

I don't know man. Dungey is going to be the unquestioned man until the day he steps foot of campus. Devito will be more of an apprentice than someone competing for his job.

Yeah, no chance DeVito is the starter next year. In fact, would love for him to redshirt and get some mop-up duty in 2018, then take the reigns for 3 years starting in 2019. (Although, I think Culpepper could have a say in all of this, too.)

Yeah, no chance DeVito is the starter next year. In fact, would love for him to redshirt and get some mop-up duty in 2018, then take the reigns for 3 years starting in 2019. (Although, I think Culpepper could have a say in all of this, too.)
We may also show enough this season to be inline for another blue chip QB in the 2018 recruiting class.

Could be a lot of top end guys competing to be our QB after Dungey.

To name a few:

Loved those running throws parallel to the LOS, don't remember seeing that before anywhere. And a couple of those were technically laterals. I suspect we will see something come of that in the future.

Agreed completely. I hope Devito and Culpepper battle it out for the #2 spot, with the #3 potentially transferring (hope not, but just being realistic).

Dungey is the guy for now, barring injury or some other unforeseen setback. He's got the unique set of mental, physical and leadership traits, which will make him successful over time. I'd really like to see Devito redshirt next year. Culpepper or Mahoney can be the #2.

Agreed nobody is going to touch Dungey and it sure as sheet won't be a true frosh.

Yes, going to be epic is right! Let TD compete in camp and then shirt him. Zach's made huge strides in his throwing mechanics and thus accuracy. This is big bc he is a legitimate backup with huge game experience. Add in Rex and watch out! Funny dynamic of how Mahoney being a legit backup and dependable will allow qb depth over the next 3-5 years.