It's time to announce our 13th annual IGGY AWARD winners | Syracusefan.com

It's time to announce our 13th annual IGGY AWARD winners

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
It's always sad when the games end for Syracuse basketball. Hopefully you have something to fill that gap, whether it is baseball, golf, lacrosse, football or tracking the transfer portal. It appears that hopefully by summer that we will have AAU events that our coaches will be able to attend and get back on the road for some serious recruiting. I think Syracuse got a lot of good publicity out of our Sweet Sixteen run which hopefully pays dividends, whether it is with new recruits or with transfers who want to try the 2-3 zone (with man to man principles). Plus I think there will be some good positives going into off season workouts as I personally feel our guys strengths and weaknesses are more prominent that in prior seasons. It should be pretty easy to tailor training programs for each returning player.

So without further ado, the IGGY AWARD COMMITTEE is pleased to award the following IGGY'S. However, we need to preface this by saying that one of the categories is still to be determined which is Buddy Boeheim's national ranking in 3 pointers made. He currently ranks in 19th place with 77 made but there are four players still playing that could pass him, so we will not even look to award that category until the season is over. So here we go and thanks for everyone who entered.

1) ACC record (by percent): Due to the possibility of cancelled games we are picking by percent. If you think we will win all of the ones we play, which could be anywhere from 1 to 20 games, then put down 100%. If you think we win half our games then 50%. You guys can figure out the rest. We will not be doing non conference games this year so you don't have to worry if we are going to beat Georgetown and Rutgers or even get a chance to play them. And if by slim chance all of the games are cancelled then we will postpone the awards until next year, or fill them up with your favorite adult beverage and shed some tears in them.
SYRACUSE FINISHED WITH AN ACC REGULAR SEASON OF 9-7 WHICH IS 56.2%. NO ONE REALLY KNEW HOW MANY GAMES WE WERE GOING TO PLAY WHICH MADE IT DIFFICULT BUT WE HAD ONE PERSON WHO GUESSED CLOSEST WITH A PREDICTION OF 55.6% SO THE IGGY AWARD COMMITTEE IS HAPPY TO AWARD THE FIRST IGGY TO ORANGE AL. CONGRATULATIONS AND I THINK WE ARE ALL HAPPY THAT THE NUMBER WAS NORTH OF .500.

2) Post season record. Put whatever you feel is going to happen. There are a lot of options that can happen for the ACCT and for the NCAA/NIT/CBI, etc. Whoever guesses closest to what reality brings us in March will take home an IGGY AWARD. Creativity counts.
SO WE HAD TEN PEOPLE PREDICT SYRACUSE TO HAVE THREE WINS IN THE POSTSEASON (1-1 AND 2-1). OVERALL, THE COMMITTEE WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THAT AND EVEN MORE HAPPIER THAT WE HAD TO GO PAST THE FIRST TIEBREAKER TO DECLARE A WINNER. SO AFTER HAVING TO SOLVE A FEW MATH EQUATIONS, THE IGGY AWARD COMMITTEE IS PLEASE TO PRESENT THE SECOND IGGY AWARD TO HOUSTONCUSE. CONGRATULATIONS.

3) Leading scorer (points per game). Put down the number and then choose either Buddy or the field as your winner.
THESE PREDICTIONS WERE SOMEWHAT SPLIT AND THIS CATEGORY WENT RIGHT DOWN TO THE END. BUDDY BUCKETS REALLY BROUGHT HIS AVERAGE UP THANKS TO SOME HOT SHOOTING AND FINISHED WITH AN AVERAGE OF 17.8 POINTS PER GAME. AND THIS GIVES US A REPEAT WINNER. HOUSTONCUSE PREDICTED 17.6 PPG AND WAS THE CLOSEST OF ALL THE BUDDY ENTRIES. CONGRATS HOUSTON AND I DON'T MEAN THE HOUSTON COUGARS.
EDIT: THE IGGY COMMITTEE SCREWED UP. WE ACTUALLY HAD TWO PEOPLE PREDICT THIS NUMBER RIGHT ON THE NOSE AND CLIFTONPARKSUFAN WAS ONE OF THEM. BUT HE DOESN'T DESERVE AN IGGY BECAUSE HE LET THE COMMITTEE DOWN. HOWEVER, BR801 ALSO PREDICTED 17.8 PPG FOR BUDDY AND HE DEFINITELY DESERVES AN IGGY SO CONGRATS TO HIM FOR WINNING THIS CATEGORY.

4) Leading rebounds per game. Number and player.
A LOT OF PEOPLE CHOSE BOURAMA. SOME PEOPLE CHOSE MAREK. SOME CHOSE ALAN GRIFFEN. VERY FEW CHOSE QUINCY AND A LOT OF THOSE ONLY PICKED HIM WHEN BOURAMA UNFORTUNATELY GOT INJURED. QUINCY ENDED UP WITH 8.4 REBOUNDS PER GAME. WE HAD TWO PREDICTIONS RIGHT ON THE NUMBER SO IN THE SPIRIT OF EQUALITY, THE IGGY AWARDS COMMITTEE HAS DECIDED TO NOT GO WITH A TIEBREAKER AND WILL AWARD IGGY AWARDS TO BOTH CUSEATTLE AND CUSEFANINVT. GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

5) Leading minutes per game. Number and choose Buddy or the field
IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE DID NOT THINK BUDDY WAS GOING TO LEAD THE TEAM IN MINUTES PLAYED.
RUMOR HAS IT THAT BUDDY IS THE COACHES SON AND HIS MOM HAS A DIRECT ACCESS TO THE COACH. IT'S PROBABLY A GOOD THING THAT JIM MARRIED JULIE AND NOT MOYER'S MOM OR THOMPSON'S MOM. ANYWAYS, BUDDY AVERAGED 36.2 MINUTES PER GAME. AGAIN, WE HAD TWO PREDICTIONS RIGHT ON THE NOSE SO AGAIN THE IGGY AWARD COMMITTEE IS GOING TO PLAY FAIR AND IS VERY HAPPY TO AWARD THE NEXT IGGY'S TO SUTOMCAT AND REALORANGE. CONGRATS!!!

6) List Buddy's ranking in all of D-1 in total number of 3's. So if you feel that Buddy will make more 3's than anyone else in all of college D-1 then you would rank him 1st.
TO BE DETERMINED AT THE END OF THE FINAL FOUR

7) List JGIII's ranking in made FT % in D-1.
SO JG3 HAS BEEN WINNING FREE THROW CONTESTS SINCE HE WAS IN DIAPERS. HE HAD A GREAT FRESHMAN YEAR AVERAGING JUST UNDER 90%. THIS YEAR HE DEFINITELY STRUGGLED AND ONLY AVERAGED 78% WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DETERMINE HIS RANKING SINCE HE IS OFF THE CHARTS. IN FACT, HE RANKED 6TH ON THE SYRACUSE TEAM WHICH HAD A GREAT YEAR MAKING FREE THROWS. PERSONALLY THE COMMITTEE THOUGHT JG3 LOOKED VERY DISTRACTED AT THE LINE AND NEEDS TO RETOOL HIS SET UP AND PRESHOT ROUTINE.
ALAN GRIFFIN LED SYRACUSE AT 89.7% WHICH RANKED HIM 16TH NATIONALLY AND MAREK RANKED 71ST AT 85.3%. BUDDY WOULD HAVE ALSO RANKED NATIONALLY AT AROUND 78TH PLACE BUT IT APPEARS HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO MAKE FIVE MORE FT'S TO QUALIFY. SO THE IGGY COMMITTEE WAS UNABLE TO AWARD AN IGGY AWARD AND VOTED NEVER TO HAVE THIS CATEGORY AGAIN.

8) Total attendance of all home games (not average): It could be zero. It could be more than zero. What do you think it is going to be?
AS WE KNOW OUR HOME GAMES WERE ZERO, ALTHOUGH WE COULD HAVE HAD SOME FANS AT THE END. POLITICS ASIDE, COVID SUCKS AND NEXT YEAR SHOULD BE BETTER. WE HAD A LOT OF PEOPLE PREDICT ZERO, SO YOU GET AN IGGY AND YOU GET AN IGGY AND YOU GET AN IGGY AND YOU GET AN IGGY.

9) TIEBREAKER: Who is going to lead the team in made 3 point shooting % this season. Give me a % and who you think it will be. There are no minimum per game so it could be a walk on who shoots 1 for 1 for the season or a great shooter who hoists up 150 of them. SO THIS TURNED INTO QUITE A TIEBREAKER. SO MUCH SO THAT WE COULD NOT USE IT FOR ANY OF OUR TIEBREAKERS. IN FACT DIGGING INTO THIS CATEGORY OUR WALKONS ONLY PLAYED A TOTAL OF FIVE MINUTES THIS SEASON AND DID NOT EVEN TAKE A SHOT. TALK ABOUT A TIGHT BENCH. ANYWAYS, THE LEADING THREE POINT SHOOTER FOR SYRACUSE THIS SEASON WAS WOODY NEWTON WHO UNFORTUNATELY ONLY PLAYED A TOTAL OF 87 MINUTES. HOWEVER, THAT WILL BE DISCUSSED MULTIPLE TIMES IN MULTIPLE POSTS DURING THE OFF SEASON AND GOING FORWARD SO WE WON'T DWELL ON IT HERE. WE LOVE YOU WOODY!!! WOODY SHOT 38.9% VS BUDDY'S 38.3% AND WE HAD ONE PERSON PICK WOODY. SO FOR THE FINAL IGGY AWARD FOR THE 2020-2021 SEASON THE IGGY AWARD COMMITTEE IS PLEASED TO AWARD THE NEXT IGGY TO OTTO IN GROTTO, WHO ALSO MADE THE LAST ENTRY FOR THE CONTEST. SO IT'S NEVER TOO LATE KIDS, EXCEPT FOR WHEN IT'S TOO LATE.

Thanks everyone who contributed. Let's hope we have a great transfer portal and off season and sign lots of great recruits for 2022. The IGGY AWARD COMMITTEE thanks you all and hope to see you all in 2021-2022 for the 14TH ANNUAL IGGY AWARDS.

Last edited:

Clifton... thanks for doing this again. It's always a fun contest. (And I can't believe that Otto in Grotto actually picked Woody Newton as the high percentage free-throw shooter. Actually, I can't believe that Woody WAS the high percentage free-throw shooter).

Last edited:
This is the greatest Iggy I have ever won.

I'm speechless.

That said, as trying as this season was, it really brought me a lot of joy watching us play, even when the games didn't go the way we hoped. Covid's been rough. But looking forward to our games really energized me. And when we went on the pauses, honestly, it set me back mentally. Preseason I wasn't particularly optimistic we'd even make it to the end of the season, and I'll forever be grateful to everyone that made it possible for the programs to compete safely under stressful and unusual circumstances. It's a legitimate triumph.

I'd like to thank the Iggy committee for accepting my absurdly late entry, for the board moderators for not banning me (yet) over the Girard fat jokes, and above all Woody Newton, who without his presence on the team and my wild prediction, would have made it impossible for me to win an Iggy, because I'm not very good at these things. I don't actually remember picking Woody, or why. The committee might be lying to me. But if so, I say, no backsies and thank you for the award. I'm not going to go back and check it.

This is the greatest Iggy I have ever won.

I'm speechless.

That said, as trying as this season was, it really brought me a lot of joy watching us play, even when the games didn't go the way we hoped. Covid's been rough. But looking forward to our games really energized me. And when we went on the pauses, honestly, it set me back mentally. Preseason I wasn't particularly optimistic we'd even make it to the end of the season, and I'll forever be grateful to everyone that made it possible for the programs to compete safely under stressful and unusual circumstances. It's a legitimate triumph.

I'd like to thank the Iggy committee for accepting my absurdly late entry, for the board moderators for not banning me (yet) over the Girard fat jokes, and above all Woody Newton, who without his presence on the team and my wild prediction, would have made it impossible for me to win an Iggy, because I'm not very good at these things. I don't actually remember picking Woody, or why. The committee might be lying to me. But if so, I say, no backsies and thank you for the award. I'm not going to go back and check it.
You’re an inspiration

Clifton... thanks for doing this again. It's always a fun contest. (And I can't believe that Otto in Grotto actually picked Woody Newton as the high percentage free-throw shooter. Actually, I can't believe that Woody WAS the high percentage free-throw shooter).
Sometimes when everybody else is gonna zig, you take a chance and zag.

Sometimes when everybody else is gonna zig, you take a chance and zag.
Or wait until the end and choose someone that no one else has taken.:cool::cool::cool:. Woody was as good a pick as any. I'm surprised no one else took him.

I humbly accept my Leading Scorer Iggy, but feel it would be wrong to deny cliftonparksufan the Iggy as well, since we both correctly predicted the number. Plus he does all this great work on this stuff every year, auditing the entries and serving as the cyber emcee of the awards ceremony.

Therefore, I will be happy for history to record us as co-winners, much like Willie Stargell and Keith Hernandez were co-winners of the NL MVP Award in 1979.

First of all, I'd like to thank the committee for allowing last minute revisions after Sid was felled. Clearly that made all the difference in the world to my being able to be standing at the podium with my good friend from Seattle. Winning in your first attempt is a difficult task, and I'd like to thank my family for them allowing me the many, many, many hours of research it took to achieve this rare feat. And now that I'm warmed up, I'm coming strong after the other categories next season.

I humbly accept my Leading Scorer Iggy, but feel it would be wrong to deny cliftonparksufan the Iggy as well, since we both correctly predicted the number. Plus he does all this great work on this stuff every year, auditing the entries and serving as the cyber emcee of the awards ceremony.

Therefore, I will be happy for history to record us as co-winners, much like Willie Stargell and Keith Hernandez were co-winners of the NL MVP Award in 1979.
This has indeed been done (at least I tried to do it).

Great sportsmanship BR!

I have tried to update everyone's title to honor the winners. Some people won a bunch and it was tough to fit all the honors into the short title. If I screwed up, please send me a PM and we can get it straightened out.

Congrats to the winners.

I also updated the titles for the Iggy winners this morning. Very belatedly. Same applies there...winners, if I screwed up, please let me know.

Last edited:
First of all, I'd like to thank the committee for allowing last minute revisions after Sid was felled. Clearly that made all the difference in the world to my being able to be standing at the podium with my good friend from Seattle. Winning in your first attempt is a difficult task, and I'd like to thank my family for them allowing me the many, many, many hours of research it took to achieve this rare feat. And now that I'm warmed up, I'm coming strong after the other categories next season.
I didn't realize you were a freshman. Truly Carmelo-esque!

Some call him a freshman and others called him a 40 year old virgin. Glad he broke his virginity but the committee wants to know what took him so long.
I'm not great with making decisions. Took me that long to actually muster the cajones to enter. And of course my wavering ways is what actually got me the Dub!

Wow! This is the first time that I've had such a prestigious credential associated with my name.
I am feeling the respect of the serfs already. Raised pitchforks is how they show respect, right?

Houstoncuse, wow! Two Iggies in one year. From now on I'm betting the house on whatever you predict. No pressure.

Houstoncuse, wow! Two Iggies in one year. From now on I'm betting the house on whatever you predict. No pressure.

To be fair, one of my Iggys was on a technicality and another one was a clerical error so I’m only claiming 33% of an Iggy for that one.

Just wondering: Is Iggy still with us? I can't believe it but I kind of miss him.
He was a contrarian but facilitated a lot of discussion. I remember at first he was put off at having the IGGY named after him but he warmed up to it. However, for as much as he had to say, he never made a prediction. Hopefully he is still with us. Bees?

He was a contrarian but facilitated a lot of discussion. I remember at first he was put off at having the IGGY named after him but he warmed up to it. However, for as much as he had to say, he never made a prediction. Hopefully he is still with us. Bees?

Hasn't been around (or at least, logged in) for more than a couple years.

i don’t know. As of a year or so ago he was still with us. I know he was spending most of his time in Florida after having a major stroke. Maybe Cheriehoop knows. I think she’s reached out to his wife before.

That was fun. Thanks for hosting the Iggy's, and Congrats to all the winners!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom