It's weird but SRS says we are not that terrible | Syracusefan.com

It's weird but SRS says we are not that terrible

Millhouse

Living Legend
Middle of the pack at 58th

Strength of schedule is 58th also

I think it'll get worse but it's surprising and unbiased so I have to give it a little thought

SRS more like SOS right? I think we rank top 5 in SOS. That’s pretty impressive !

EDIT: I am not talking about strength of schedule, it’s the other SOS. The one used when in a boat.

Last edited:
SRS more like SOS right? I think we rank top 5 in SOS. That’s pretty impressive !
SRS is point differential weighted by opposing point differential. Our strength of sched is ordinary so far

SRS is point differential weighted by opposing point differential. Our strength of sched is ordinary so far
I was talking SOS as in Save our Ship. We rank top 10 in save our ship.

We aren’t that bad.
We just flaws that beyond obvious and kill the offense.
If we had an average OL we likely go 7-5 or 8-4.
It’s not hard to see we have depth on the DL and secondary.

It’s just our offense has had 3 and outs 41% of the time. That is number 1 in the P5.
Our OL is killing drives and our QB is playing like he is afraid of the pass rush.
We will be fine as long as Dino makes some changes on the OL in the offseason.

We aren’t that bad.

It’s just our offense has had 3 and outs 41% of the time. That is number 1 in the P5.
Our OL is killing drives and our QB is playing like he is afraid of the pass rush.
i believe this too and it's part of the reason I just want to hibernate because the more i watch, the more wound up i get

We aren’t that bad.

The avg defensive rating of the FBS teams we've played is 54.3 (with Clemson and Pitt as the two top 15). The remaining schedule is 74.8 - with the best remaining defense being Duke.

Middle of the pack at 58th

Strength of schedule is 58th also

I think it'll get worse but it's surprising and unbiased so I have to give it a little thought

giggity

We aren’t that bad.

Agreed. I think most of us are looking through the prism of a 10 win season, so it feels worse, but we're not a bad football team. We've had 2 coin flip league games and lost both of the coin flips (both were close and could have gone either way).

I do think we have a very, very glaring weakness (OL), so unless that gets fixed or improved significantly, we will probably not win more than 50% of the remaining coin flips.

But the "return to the Grob era" stuff is a bit much. There isnt a remaining game left that I dont think we can't win. Will we? Who knows - but nothing will surprise me down the stretch.

Agreed. I think most of us are looking through the prism of a 10 win season, so it feels worse, but we're not a bad football team. We've had 2 coin flip league games and lost both of the coin flips (both were close and could have gone either way).

I do think we have a very, very glaring weakness (OL), so unless that gets fixed or improved significantly, we will probably not win more than 50% of the remaining coin flips.

But the "return to the Grob era" stuff is a bit much. There isnt a remaining game left that I dont think we can't win. Will we? Who knows - but nothing will surprise me down the stretch.

The O has had stretches that have been GRob-esque.

But special teams are among the best in P5, and the D has been good enough to win P5 games except for the Maryland fiasco.

The O has had stretches that have been GRob-esque.

But special teams are among the best in P5, and the D has been good enough to win P5 games except for the Maryland fiasco.

I think people are misremembering the Grob years.

During the Grob years, our QB would not have been throwing for 300 yards a game and considering it a disappointment.

There have been no Grob-esque stretches outside the actual Brian Pariani OC era.

If you watched Tommy get rag-dolled Friday night and didn't think at all of Andrew Robinson, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you watched Tommy get rag-dolled Friday night and didn't think at all of Andrew Robinson, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yea, you're still misremembering. Those teams were flat AWFUL. Just look at the numbers. We're extremely flawed on the OL for sure, but we aren't anywhere remotely close to as poor offensively as those teams were.

Yea, you're still misremembering. Those teams were flat AWFUL. Just look at the numbers. We're extremely flawed on the OL for sure, but we aren't anywhere remotely close to as poor offensively as those teams were.

Statistically that is true. But there have been stretches where we have looked paralyzed/helpless offensively in a way that does recall GRob bad.

Dino essentially throwing in the towel on Friday was a pretty significant statement.

Statistically that is true. But there have been stretches where we have looked paralyzed/helpless offensively in a way that does recall GRob bad.

Dino essentially throwing in the towel on Friday was a pretty significant statement.

I'm not sure where he "threw in the towel". Agreed though that in stretches we looked paralyzed. But I just can't go as far as the Grob era. Its been pretty inept, but not even close to THAT inept.

This feels frustrating as hell but fixable to me. The Grob era felt nothing close to fixable (besides the obvious - coaching change).

I'm not sure where he "threw in the towel". Agreed though that in stretches we looked paralyzed. But I just can't go as far as the Grob era. Its been pretty inept, but not even close to THAT inept.

This feels frustrating as hell but fixable to me. The Grob era felt nothing close to fixable (besides the obvious - coaching change).

Look, you're probably right. I sat through GRob vs UConn in East Hartford in the rain on a Friday night and I'm well aware of the disaster that was Brian Pariani.

The periodic helplessness likely does seem worse after a season in which our offense had its way with defenses more often than not.

The avg defensive rating of the FBS teams we've played is 54.3 (with Clemson and Pitt as the two top 15). The remaining schedule is 74.8 - with the best remaining defense being Duke.
So you're saying we have a chance...

That's better than the 2010 team that made a bowl game. Slightly below the 2017 team
schedule makes such a difference. it's funny how 2001 gets a big bump in rating for playing a tough schedule even though they got murdered by the team that made the schedule so tough. that team was a good example of be really good at one thing and ok at the other and you'll be fine. tough to replicate freeney though year in year out.

2010 team was below average by this measure which is kinda funny. 22-19 as an average score usually doesn't lead to 8-5. 35th best winning percentage, 62nd SRS. maine colgate and akron

I think people are misremembering the Grob years.

During the Grob years, our QB would not have been throwing for 300 yards a game and considering it a disappointment.

There have been no Grob-esque stretches outside the actual Brian Pariani OC era.
arob's 2007 year doesn't look much different per pass than devitos and that is what worries me.
couldn't run the ball, a million sacks

Define remotely. In Grob's last 2 years the offense ranked 114th and 106th in points scored per offensive drive (1.27 and 1.35 respectively) vs. FBS. This year the offense is ranked 99th (prior to the Pitt game) in points scored per offensive drive (1.70) vs. FBS. So while its not yet to Grob levels at this point we're in the ballpark.

Statistically, in regard to points scored on both sides of the ball, this season is mirroring 2013 where we averaged 1.58 points per offensive drive (100th nationally) and held teams to 2.00 points per drive defensively (53rd nationally).

We ended 2013 season 6-6 so there is still hope to chase down a bowl invite.

Both were close? Since when is 13-0 and 24-6 at half close? Or 16-3 and 27-13 halfway through the 4th close? The final scores were close but at any point in those games did you really feel we would win?

Btw NC State will likely end up the 3rd worst team on our schedule. Our upcoming games will be harder on paper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom