I've said that this team / season reminds me of 2018, but I was wrong | Syracusefan.com

I've said that this team / season reminds me of 2018, but I was wrong

RF2044

Living Legend
It feels more like 1987. And if we win this weekend, we'll have a strong opportunity to head into a game against a big time, national caliber opponent [Clemson] at 5-0, with a lot of eyes upon us.

Kind of like how we were 5-0 heading into that Penn State game.

I know, I know -- need to beat Purdue first -- but I can't shake those 1987 vibes.

Shrader is legit. And we have NFL talent on defense.

It feels more like 1987. And if we win this weekend, we'll have a strong opportunity to head into a game against a big time, national caliber opponent [Clemson] at 5-0, with a lot of eyes upon us.

I know, I know -- need to beat Purdue first -- but I can't shake those 1987 vibes.

I’ve been getting these same vibes but didn’t want to say it out loud

We have talent, leadership, best depth since the 90s and the best coaching since the 80s-90s

This will be a much better team by year end, the key is gutting out these first 5 games!

Beginning of the year, preseason, a lot of publications were like “NFL talent here, there, best x in the ACC, all-American RB, etc” but then picked them to finish last.

Big X factor was the new staff plus Shrader taking a leap. And those things seem to be A+ answers *all while* some of the teams picked ahead of us *cough, BC, cough, Louisville* look not great.

Trending up. This is fun

I agree we have NFL talent on defense but there's also big talent gaps that concern me. The theme on this defense will be how susceptible they will be to the big play and inconsistency on getting pressures.

Shrader has been excellent so far, much improved passing and not turning it over either. O-line has held up fairly well, a few issues but no injuries and at times has been dominant. I feel like barring major injuries this O should hold up all year (though we need the Wrs to keep developing).

That said I would pump the brakes a bit until after Purdue. Win that game and I think the potential ceiling is sky high. Need to see what this defense does against a really good offense. Purdue has almost no run game so I think that should be a plus for us but this will be by far our biggest test yet.

Shrader has been excellent so far, much improved passing and not turning it over either. O-line has held up fairly well, a few issues but no injuries and at times has been dominant. I feel like barring major injuries this O should hold up all year (though we need the Wrs to keep developing).

That said I would pump the brakes a bit until after Purdue. Win that game and I think the potential ceiling is sky high. Need to see what this defense does against a really good offense. Purdue has almost no run game so I think that should be a plus for us but this will be by far our biggest test yet.

To hell with pumping the brakes -- damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Syracuse football is FUN again. It's okay to get excited and rebaseline expectations, based upon the marked improvement we're witnessing on offense.

Wake Forest had a fantastic season last year being able to move the chains and outscore people. We have a better defense than they did.

The momentum is palpable here. With the Anae / Beck offense, improved special teams play, and Shrader's UNBELIEVABLE improvement -- this team's floor and ceiling got raised from preseason expectations. Immensely.

Last edited:
Yup we have really decent depth (for us) but there are a couple spots we can’t afford to lose
Hopefully Thompson is our Gregory, and we avoid key injuries the rest of the way.

I’ve been getting these same vibes but didn’t want to say it out loud

We have talent, leadership, best depth since the 90s and the best coaching since the 80s-90s

This will be a much better team by year end, the key is gutting out these first 5 games!
Gutting out these first 5 games? You make it sound like it's all downhill sledding once we get past Wagner.

To hell with pumping the brakes -- damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

Wake Forest had a fantastic season last year being able to move the chains and outscore people. We have a better defense than they did.

The momentum is palpable here. With the Anae / Beck offense, improved special teams play, and Shrader's UNBELIEVABLE improvement -- this team's floor and ceiling got raised from preseason expectations. Immensely.

I don't necessarily disagree but I think Saturday will tell/show us a lot about whether this could be a special season. I still expect this team to be 4-1 even if it loses Saturday but I want to see how we look against a pretty good Purdue team.

I would rather enjoy it while it’s happening and fully immersed and enjoy a great year. I don’t want to stay in my defensive mode trying to protect myself from pain, only to look back on a great year to realize I never even enjoyed it real time

Gutting out these first 5 games? You make it sound like it's all downhill sledding once we get past Wagner.
I just mean these first 5 games are us transitioning from a bad/below average team the past 3 years into a good/very good team.

The next game would be week 7 and the entire personality can become different and more positive. Not to mention all our players with light experience (DL, WR, Cruz, Clark etc) will be much more comfortable

Love the excitement for Cuse football. Im waiting to see what we do vs Purdue. Even if we get to 5-0 they will have to prove to me that they can win a quality game at home and on the road. ( not sure how good Louisville is right now). I’m always cautiously optimistic. I would be the same if we were a top 10 program. Im a 1 game at a time guy. That’s just me.

I would rather enjoy it while it’s happening and fully immersed and enjoy a great year. I don’t want to stay in my defensive mode trying to protect myself from pain, only to look back on a great year to realize I never even enjoyed it real time

Certainly, I have enjoyed both wins myself including being in attedance for the Uconn thrashing. That said its 2 games in, I personally need to see a little more before I start comparing this years squad to an undefeated team and of the best SU squads of all time.

Certainly, I have enjoyed both wins myself including being in attedance for the Uconn thrashing. That said its 2 games in, I personally need to see a little more before I start comparing this years squad to an undefeated team and of the best SU squads of all time.

I didn't compare the team -- I just said I'm getting a 1987 vibe, because I think we're substantially better than just about everyone -- including apparently a segment of the fanbase -- believed and continues to believe.

And that if we get past Purdue, then we're staring at 5-0 heading into a pair of matchups against ranked opponents, with a big opportunity to raise hell on the national stage -- which is kind of like 1987, when there were tons of doubters heading into our matchup with PSU despite our strong start. Case in point.

With the way our offense is playing, I am not afraid of anyone left on the schedule. Doesn't mean we're going to go undefeated, but this team is legit.

They have to go on offense from the first possession and keep scoring. If it's close at the end of the game the B1G ref crew worries me.

I didn't compare the team -- I just said I'm getting a 1987 vibe, because I think we're substantially better than just about everyone -- including apparently a segment of the fanbase -- believed and continues to believe.

Hey your certainly entitled to feel anyway you want, its' great to be 2-0. I don't personally get that vibe or comparision but that doesn't mean I don't think this team is better then I thought it was going to be.

Damn the torpedoes, though maybe we are more like 2018 than 1997. And getting to the level of 2018 would be huge. We depend on one star RB, have some questions about OL blocking (too much hard lifting for Tucker vs UConn), and a lack of depth in key spots. So, one game at a time, stay healthy, compete. Very excited to see where Shrader can take this team.

I'm cautiously optimistic. We still don't know if Louisville is any good. No matter how good we looked (and whatever the parallels), if all we've done is beat two mid-majors, it would be premature to get too excited.

NC States beats FSU/Clemson, SU holds serve...

We staring at College Gameday on October 15th? I would assume 5-0 Syracuse (18th?) vs Undefeated NC State (prob get to 5-10?) we can dream right?

School is owed one even if we're 4-1