Izzo | Syracusefan.com

Izzo

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
After the game all Izzo said is that they had to be tougher than Texas Tech and they weren’t. He still hasn’t figured it out. There’s more to the game than just toughness. How about trying to score more than the other team. They are always offensively challenged. Toughness only goes so far. At some point, you have to score the ball. He’s obviously a good coach, but his teams can be tough to watch.

After the game all Izzo said is that they had to be tougher than Texas Tech and they weren’t. He still hasn’t figured it out. There’s more to the game than just toughness. How about trying to score more than the other team. They are always offensively challenged. Toughness only goes so far. At some point, you have to score the ball. He’s obviously a good coach, but his teams can be tough to watch.

He’s 1 for 8 at the Final Four. It’s strange how his teams are always so good on the second weekend but never seem to carry that momentum to the third weekend

I still can’t believe Michigan State beat Duke. They had a really good offensive game against Duke. Duke could have beat Texas Tech.

This was not the most gifted or athletic group of Michigan State players but they played really well as a team. Izzo got a lot out of them. McQuaid was dealing with an injury(?) and foul trouble in the TT game. And Nick Ward also hadn’t fully recovered from his injury from a few weeks back.

Come on, hes talking to the press. He cant throw his guys under the bus too much. He doesnt want to say the other team is better. He hasnt watched the tape of the game. If Im a coach, I am keeping it 100% vanilla in those things too. It keeps yourself out of trouble. I find the complaints regarding jb’s pressers (make shots) similarly off the mark.

As a last point, i wish syracuse showed more toughness this year. Why was our zone so good at the end of last year but then wasnt this year with the same personnel? I imagine toughness and personnel issues had an impact.

Last edited:
They made it to the final four without their best player, Langford, and Ward(for most of the season). Look what happens to SU when they lose a starter,
I agree that losing a starter really hurt us but are you comparing our depth to Michigan State?

I would have to disagree.

Not sure if you watched many of their games this year or if you are simply generalizing the a Big 10 Michigan St. team based on the past. This year they are a pretty good offensive team that often runs at a nice flow.

They actually play at a much higher tempo than many P5 teams (middle of the pack), and are the 5th most efficient offence in the country.

It's more about Texas Tech grinding you -- and you have to be tough on the offensive end to overcome that whether you are a good offence or not.

Last edited:
I agree that losing a starter really hurt us but are you comparing our depth to Michigan State?
I’m saying that losing a starter always hurts us, and some people are criticizing Izzo, who got his team to the FF4, after their injury plagued year. Look at our history, eg Arinze, Fab. It happens to other teams, but not MichSt this year. Not a lot of room to criticize Izzo this year

The team we beat last year had way more talent I think they did pretty well to make it this far and take out Duke. If they had squeezed past Tech they’d have no shot vs UVA.

Monday should be a good game. Looking forward to the ladies tonight as well.

They made it to the final four without their best player, Langford, and Ward(for most of the season). Look what happens to SU when they lose a starter,
Winston is their best player but your point stands. Losing Langford was big, and then Ward injury and losing ahrens too.

I still can’t believe Michigan State beat Duke. They had a really good offensive game against Duke.
So did we the first time we played them. That’s all you need to know. Duke is soft defensively.

He’s 1 for 8 at the Final Four. It’s strange how his teams are always so good on the second weekend but never seem to carry that momentum to the third weekend
2 for 8. They lost the title game when the FF was in Detroit.

At what point is Izzo the Atlanta Braves?

ok this Braves fan doesn't appreciate you taking the conversation to a very dark place.

If I remember correctly the second to last time that happened we beat Michigan St in the tournament.

I’m saying that losing a starter always hurts us, and some people are criticizing Izzo, who got his team to the FF4, after their injury plagued year. Look at our history, eg Arinze, Fab. It happens to other teams, but not MichSt this year. Not a lot of room to criticize Izzo this year
And they beat Duke this year. bringing his record to JB , Cal and K to a solid 5 -25

This board is funny sometimes. He has only been to 8 ff's and won one NC, so he's not that good. I guess JB really isn't that good either.

Why do we so frequently try to tear other coaches down that, when compared to JB, have similar or better success? Does it make JB better?

He's still stuck in Riley's 90's Knicks "Force Basketball"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom