Jake: Are we seriously looking | Syracusefan.com

Jake: Are we seriously looking

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
at the kid from Duke? That would put another 2G in Cooney's class. Is that an issue for TC? Are there concerns with 2013 guard recruiting?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

at the kid from Duke? That would put another 2G in Cooney's class. Is that an issue for TC? Are there concerns with 2013 guard recruiting?

I'm not Jake and would never pretend to be, but isn't he a kid who was highly rated and that Syracuse really liked. No reason to think that we would ever have enough kids on the roster. Lately we have been given out that last scholly to walk-ons or projects. Might as well give it out to someone who has potential to be a real contributor.

I'm not Jake and would never pretend to be, but isn't he a kid who was highly rated and that Syracuse really liked. No reason to think that we would ever have enough kids on the roster. Lately we have been given out that last scholly to walk-ons or projects. Might as well give it out to someone who has potential to be a real contributor.
Agree but it might be a higher priority to give it to someone that's going to get good grades and graduate in four years.

I doubt we're involved.

I copied this from the one link OE had this morning -

SU has, at this point, nine scholarship players. It's unclear whether Mookie Jones will return to Syracuse next season. Boeheim said he and his staff are still evaluating options for next year's roster.

NCAA rules prohibit coaches from talking to reporters about potential transfers or recruits.

But SU has been mentioned as a potential landing spot for Michael Gbinije, who announced his intention to transfer from Duke after his freshman season. Gbinije, a native of Chester, Va., is a 6-foot-6 forward.

Coach Mike Krzyzewski called Gbinije "a talented player with a solid future ahead of him."

Duke officials said Gbinije is leaving the school in good academic standing.

As I see it, kids transfer b/c: (in no particular order)
1. They are homesick
2. They want to play more
3. They want to play at a higher level of competition

While there are undoubtedly other reasons (e.g. following a coach, kicked off team), I think these reasons encompass the lion's share.

This kid is not from the NY State area, and the level of competition is not gonna change, especially since he'd be remaining in the ACC.

So, will he really play more? Does he mind if he's another Mookie, playing-time wise?

They can't, I don't think he will be allowed to transfer within the conference.
Good point his home town location is why I was thinking that VT is not that far away from his high school his high school is like a hour drive from both UVA and VT

Question: IF this kid sits out a year does that count as a redshirt pushing his graduation out a year?

Only if the kid hasn't already redshirted. By the time this kid is playing, we're in the ACC, so I don't know if we can get him?

Agree but it might be a higher priority to give it to someone that's going to get good grades and graduate in four years.
I'm a little confused. What are you implying?

I hope we're looking at him. I really don't think anyone should care if its an issue for TC. Its not like he should think he's going to be the only 2G on the team the next 4 years. You make it sound like the coaches will only recruit guards that ensure TC playing time. If he's good enough he'll play. If he's not he won't. If we get the kid and in 2013-14 he is better than TC then TC comes off the bench. Pretty sure he doesn't think he has a guaranty of starting or any PT unless he works for it and is the best player. (its not like he went to JD or anything! :D) You never know if a kid'll be another Mookie until he gets here.

I'm a little confused. What are you implying?
The day we start giving out basketball scholarships based on grades and a likliehood the kid will stay 4 years is the day SU begins to be irrelevant on a national basis.

I brought up the Trevor Cooney question with Francis yesterday but in his response he did not answer that specific issue. On paper it looks like Cooney might not be thrilled, in that he was possibly recruited over. In my question to Francis, I was thinking they see him as a 2/3 possibility, not a pure 2. Francis seemed to feel that he is a 2guard and would not see time as at the 3 position.

I brought up the Trevor Cooney question with Francis yesterday but in his response he did not answer that specific issue. On paper it looks like Cooney might not be thrilled, in that he was possibly recruited over. In my question to Francis, I was thinking they see him as a 2/3 possibility, not a pure 2. Francis seemed to feel that he is a 2guard and would not see time as at the 3 position.

Were recruiting a bunch of sgs in the 2013 class, this is the equivalent of getting one of them if we land gbinilije. You cant go into the season with cooney as the. Lone shooting guard in 2014. Basically comes down to getting a top 30 kid in the 2011 class with 3 years of eligibilty here versus a 2013 kid, Who would you rather get?

Were recruiting a bunch of sgs in the 2013 class, this is the equivalent of getting one of them if we land gbinilije. You cant go into the season with cooney as the. Lone shooting guard in 2014. Basically comes down to getting a top 30 kid in the 2011 class with 3 years of eligibilty here versus a 2013 kid, Who would you rather get?

who is also a Junior with one year of playing and a year practicing. I'll take the experience.

If we take this kid, we aren't recruiting over Cooney. Brandon will be gone, and we can't have only one 2 guard on the roster. Trevor, I'm sure, knows this.

I hope we take this kid. By all accounts he's a solid shooter, good athlete, and has a very high basketball IQ and great size for the position.

First, G's grades are good and coming from Duke...great academic institution...not like KY...second a 2-g would be nice to have as an addition to Cooney...half the board seems to have been all worked up about having enough guards...so if G can play it...great...afterall, he was a top 50 from '11 class. Look at him like TC...red shirted because of more experienced players that were good in front of him. I believe he could add to the 'Cuse team in several ways as a 2-g...not sure I would take him as a sf

My question: if we land Gbijine and Ennis, and MCW actually does come back (which I expect, but you never know), does that mean we would be done recruiting Stanford Robinson? Our guards for 13-14, then, would be MCW, Ennis, Cooney and Gbinije, so I can't imagine there'd be room at the inn unless we redshirted Robinson.

I wonder if Hop has more of a say in these decisions than before, since he'd likely have to coach the kid in 2-3 years.

My question: if we land Gbijine and Ennis, and MCW actually does come back (which I expect, but you never know), does that mean we would be done recruiting Stanford Robinson? Our guards for 13-14, then, would be MCW, Ennis, Cooney and Gbinije, so I can't imagine there'd be room at the inn unless we redshirted Robinson.

I'd love it if Syracuse could (somehow) begin a trend of recruiting & redshirting talented, but possibly inexperienced or in need of physical improvements, players each year. Getting a guy like Cooney just starting his elegibility this next season, while already having been through a year of lifting & practices, is so huge. If we could do it again with a kid like Robinson, it would be a great advantage.

The hard part is convincing young players these days that taking a redshirt is a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom