Jarred Alwan | Syracusefan.com

Jarred Alwan

HerkimerSU

Walk On
A new topic on NJ, does anyone (Deepthrowit) know anything about this guy? Why we haven't offered or his talent level? Same HS as Marcus Coleman, and there was buzz about us recruiting him last fall with Coleman working the assist? It appears like we are going to be taking a few more linebackers this year and it might help the in-roads in NJ. Not that it is a huge deal but he is in the Rivals preseason top 30.

A new topic on NJ, does anyone (Deepthrowit) know anything about this guy? Why we haven't offered or his talent level? Same HS as Marcus Coleman, and there was buzz about us recruiting him last fall with Coleman working the assist? It appears like we are going to be taking a few more linebackers this year and it might help the in-roads in NJ. Not that it is a huge deal but he is in the Rivals preseason top 30.
He might not fit in our system or didn't evaluate well.

Watching a video I
think he has decent speed if not better instincts. He might be as good or a tad better than Lynch. Definitely a solid prospect.

Watching a video I
think he has decent speed if not better instincts. He might be as good or a tad better than Lynch. Definitely a solid prospect.

So off of one video you crown him better than the former 5A GA defensive player of the year ... while playing against inferior competition in NJ? Um ok ...

Maybe we have a ton of higher rated prospects at LB and would rather see how they pan out before offering this guy.

We don't have 50 scholarships to give. We have the right to be picky at this stage in the game.

Maybe we have a ton of higher rated prospects at LB and would rather see how they pan out before offering this guy.

We don't have 50 scholarships to give. We have the right to be picky at this stage in the game.

But ... but ... but he's from Jersey ... .

But ... but ... but he's from Jersey ... .
Since when has NJ been the the source of poor football players coming out of High School? If we can do better,well by all means do it.!:cool:

Since when has NJ been the the source of poor football players coming out of High School? If we can do better,well by all means do it.!:cool:

We've already done it twice this year. Not sure how many more LB's we're going to be taking.

Um we did, the guy you said Alwan was better than was only 5A GA defensive player of the year ... the highest classification of football in one of the most talent rich states in the US ... do me a favor go and look at the offer list for GA, TX, FL and CA and then let me know who plays at a higher level ... it seems pretty conclusive to me. NJ has 30 D1 offers .. ok ... Stephenson High in Stone Mountain GA had 9 players receive D1 offers alone including Joshua Parris ...

SU hasn't offered Alwan because he is not 6'1 or 6'2 as he is reported online, he is 5'11. Coleman also isn't 6'2, he's 6'0.

Camden Catholic has a great staff in terms of getting their kids recruited. WVU offer doesn't surprise me as they offer a ton of kids in South Jersey due to connections to the region (current and past). However, I think he ends up at a UMass or 1-aa where he will be a good player. He's a little too heavy footed to play ACC football as a sawed off linebacker.

When I was still in the game, we used to say "if rutgers isn't recruiting a NJ kid, they know something." Their staff is very diligent with their in state scouting. Not to say they haven't missed their fair share but they know the NJ kids better than anyone else. Shakim Phillips a few years back is a perfect example. They didn't officially offer the kid until he already had 40 offers. It was all because he ran a 4.8 in their camp. No one but them knew this information. I only know because I know Shakim's coaches well.

SU hasn't offered Alwan because he is not 6'1 or 6'2 as he is reported online, he is 5'11. Coleman also isn't 6'2, he's 6'0.

Camden Catholic has a great staff in terms of getting their kids recruited. WVU offer doesn't surprise me as they offer a ton of kids in South Jersey due to connections to the region (current and past). However, I think he ends up at a UMass or 1-aa where he will be a good player. He's a little too heavy footed to play ACC football as a sawed off linebacker.

When I was still in the game, we used to say "if rutgers isn't recruiting a NJ kid, they know something." Their staff is very diligent with their in state scouting. Not to say they haven't missed their fair share but they know the NJ kids better than anyone else. Shakim Phillips a few years back is a perfect example. They didn't officially offer the kid until he already had 40 offers. It was all because he ran a 4.8 in their camp. No one but them knew this information. I only know because I know Shakim's coaches well.

That can't be the only reason they didn't offer, is it? I am surprised because Lynch is 5'11" ... I am not doubting you necessarily but in earnest that is the only sticking point for SU?

That can't be the only reason they didn't offer, is it? I am surprised because Lynch is 5'11" ... I am not doubting you necessarily but in earnest that is the only sticking point for SU?

I don't know if this is the reason or not but it was my educated guess. Lynch is quick enough laterally to be an effective shorter LB in the BE/ACC. I don't see the same kind of quickness in Alwan.

Um we did, the guy you said Alwan was better than was only 5A GA defensive player of the year ... the highest classification of football in one of the most talent rich states in the US ... do me a favor go and look at the offer list for GA, TX, FL and CA and then let me know who plays at a higher level ... it seems pretty conclusive to me. NJ has 30 D1 offers .. ok ... Stephenson High in Stone Mountain GA had 9 players receive D1 offers alone including Joshua Parris ...
OK:oops:

Thanks for the reply, I guess you don't have high hopes for Coleman? I think I read somewhere he grew a few inches his Sr. year but that could be purposeful recruiting "miss-information" as you also outline.

Along those same lines Omari Palmer was said to be shorter than listed, but he looked to be more towards 6'3" when I saw him during the upstate game.

I don't know if this is the reason or not but it was my educated guess. Lynch is quick enough laterally to be an effective shorter LB in the BE/ACC. I don't see the same kind of quickness in Alwan.

Makes sense to me.

Thanks for the reply, I guess you don't have high hopes for Coleman? I think I read somewhere he grew a few inches his Sr. year but that could be purposeful recruiting "miss-information" as you also outline.

To be fair he could very well have grown a few inches. I saw him in a scrimmage last August and he was no taller than 6'0. I was surprised Cuse offered him, as there were a bunch of other NJ DL that they probably could have gotten in the game with. However, I'm sure the coaches saw a hell of a lot more than I did. You do have to love the fact that Marcus was a wrestler at Camden Catholic which is one of the best wrestling programs in the state. We all know wrestlers make the best lineman!

To be fair he could very well have grown a few inches. I saw him in a scrimmage last August and he was no taller than 6'0. I was surprised Cuse offered him, as there were a bunch of other NJ DL that they probably could have gotten in the game with. However, I'm sure the coaches saw a hell of a lot more than I did. You do have to love the fact that Marcus was a wrestler at Camden Catholic which is one of the best wrestling programs in the state. We all know wrestlers make the best lineman!

Unfortunately Emerson Kilgore never go that memo ...

Unfortunately Emerson Kilgore never go that memo ...

Emerson Kilgore's greatest legacy at Syracuse has to be his name. I brighten up every time he's referenced.

Emerson Kilgore's greatest legacy at Syracuse has to be his name. I brighten up every time he's referenced.

I have to be honest I expected him to actually do something at SU when he was recruited ... I had hopes he would really contribute ... but if my "short memory" serves me properly he didn't do much other than occupy a scholly and hold down a big metal bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom