Jarveon Howard | Syracusefan.com

Jarveon Howard

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Is the expectation that he will get substantial playing time?

Is the expectation that he will get substantial playing time?
This year? I hope not unless he is going to see decent carries ... Minimum of 100

Next year he may be the favorite going in to camp ...

I dont know, adams is VERY good and Moe could breakout this year.

We’re looking at a 3 headed monster at RB next year
You need a minimum of 4 rbs

I dont know, adams is VERY good and Moe could breakout this year.

We’re looking at a 3 headed monster at RB next year
I forgot Pierre too, hopefully hes improvIng his stock.

GREAT competition at the skills positions for years to come. Much more evident, during the preseason, when looking at the chart RF2044 created

May the best runner win.

But blitz pickup, catching the ball out of the backfield, that's typically the stuff true freshman RBs struggle with. I bet he plays, but later on in the season when he gets a better handle on that stuff.

You get 4 free games, might as well see what he can do. Looks like the prototype at RB. Next year, with Adams too, I really think this is going to take off. Not just the orange colored glasses talking (even though I'm wearing them).

May the best runner win.

But blitz pickup, catching the ball out of the backfield, that's typically the stuff true freshman RBs struggle with. I bet he plays, but later on in the season when he gets a better handle on that stuff.

You get 4 free games, might as well see what he can do. Looks like the prototype at RB. Next year, with Adams too, I really think this is going to take off. Not just the orange colored glasses talking (even though I'm wearing them).
I'm confident in TDs future, I hope he gets to see enough time this year to prep him for the next three years and lead the program

In my well-informed opinion, which probably doesn't mean much, SU ought to get the best
RB out there as much as possible who'll gain the most yards. I've seen this discussion about
different freshman RBs occur in past years, with the negative for the incoming RB being along
the lines of what's stated here, that they can't pass block. I'd much rather have an explosive
RB who is a threat to rip off a huge gain over a non-threat who is better at pass blocking. One
can always sub in a better blocker if necessary, but, if the D has to think about an RB maybe
busting one on every play, they can't send guys after the QB all the time. If Howard has the
best pure RB ability, I think he should play more than the others. That's pretty simple. You have
a program that needs / requires an RB threat; nothing against Strickland or Neal, but they don't
exactly match up with someone like AJ Dillon.

Kev

If you sub in a RB that is young I imagine the defense will prepare for a run play. I mean, the odds are good that they are not in there for pass blocking or catching balls out of the backfield. Am I wrong on that?

In my well-informed opinion, which probably doesn't mean much, SU ought to get the best
RB out there as much as possible who'll gain the most yards. I've seen this discussion about
different freshman RBs occur in past years, with the negative for the incoming RB being along
the lines of what's stated here, that they can't pass block. I'd much rather have an explosive
RB who is a threat to rip off a huge gain over a non-threat who is better at pass blocking. One
can always sub in a better blocker if necessary, but, if the D has to think about an RB maybe
busting one on every play, they can't send guys after the QB all the time. If Howard has the
best pure RB ability, I think he should play more than the others. That's pretty simple. You have
a program that needs / requires an RB threat; nothing against Strickland or Neal, but they don't
exactly match up with someone like AJ Dillon.

Kev
IMHO Jarveon Howard is the best back we have RF - Sr. He is explosive and possesses a threat each time he touches the ball. I think we have to wait until we see him touch the football and see what happens when the season begins but from what I've seen so far we have a good backfield that will be helped by an improved offensive line which will pave the way for some prolific yards this year. A balance that can only help our total team look. My hope is that we are on the verge of an explosive offensive attack backed up by an aggressive, productive defense. GOSU! :)

I think the first two games may give us an indication of what Howard can do. Especially the first game. WMU is no pushover. I hope all three play exceptionally well.

This is my hope, not necessarily my expectation. I hope JH is so good we can't keep him off the field. The factories have true freshman that beat out upper classmen all of the time. Him getting a substantial number of carries would mean we have a clear and significant upgrade. Being a stud for 3 years and leaving after his junior year would do nothing but help us.

If you sub in a RB that is young I imagine the defense will prepare for a run play. I mean, the odds are good that they are not in there for pass blocking or catching balls out of the backfield. Am I wrong on that?
I don’t think Dino is putting anyone out there that would allow his offense to be one dimensional and blitz pickups and understanding of concepts and the speed of the collegiate game is why Pierre didn’t play much in conference play last year. Strickland has his warts but he called out blitz pickups at the line and clearly had a great grasp of the offense. The game slows down for guys the longer they’re in the system and I look forward to seeing the improvement from all the RBs.

Pierre’s not a slouch. If he gets carries, I hope it’s not many and in 4 games or less.

So the redshirt rule is not just for true freshmen? Elmore could do this too?

So the redshirt rule is not just for true freshmen? Elmore could do this too?

When I said if he gets carries, I was referring to Howard directly as well as him using the redshirt. Not positive on the details of the rule.

When I said if he gets carries, I was referring to Howard directly as well as him using the redshirt. Not positive on the details of the rule.

I thought you wrote Pierre Finwad, sorry for the confusion but it would be nice to find out in this new rule can be used for everyone not just true freshmen.

June 13: Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition

"College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.
Division I student-athletes have five years to compete in up to four seasons of competition. The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games."

The rule specifies "student-athletes". Not just Freshmen.

That's all I got.

June 13: Starting this season, football players can play in up to four games without losing a season of competition

"College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.
Division I student-athletes have five years to compete in up to four seasons of competition. The new exception allows football players to preserve a season of competition if, for example, injuries or other factors result in them competing in a small number of games."

The rule specifies "student-athletes". Not just Freshmen.

That's all I got.

Thanks OX!
So since it says "Student" does that mean the SEC can't use this rule?

I don't believe so unless he's head and shoulders better than everyone else. Not sure yet that he is.

I think Moe Neal has stood out in the limited clips of him running and I fully expect him to get the majority of the carries. With his added bulk he looks like a different player.

Strick will get his share but how many? I still think we see him split out more. There really hasn't been any clips of him running.

Pierre has had a decent run or two in the videos.

It's really interesting to see if either young kid can grab carries. Just put the best running back out there.

I'm a little torn in Howard being too good not to use and him not losing a year. Hopefully he isn't out there because of injuries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom