Jason Cabinda 2014 the first FB commit for SU in the ACC | Syracusefan.com

Jason Cabinda 2014 the first FB commit for SU in the ACC

Simpsons_Duff_Oh_Yeah_Black_Shirt_POP.jpg

Do you guys think that being in the ACC will help with recruiting or not really?

Not too far from where I live in NJ. Hunterdon Central covers a wide area... big school. Maybe I'll be able to catch one of his games in the fall.

Competition will not be any better than in the BE. The BE was grossly under-rated. Especially by people on the board

Do you guys think that being in the ACC will help with recruiting or not really?

ultimately it will be wins, but ACC is the next important. Much easier to sell playing Clemson, FSU, GT then Uconn, Cincinatti, and Temple

In order:

Coaches/Recruiters
Wins
Facilities
Conference

Yep. And:

Conference $ leads to
Upgraded Facilities leads to
Wins leads to
Retaining good coaches recruiters leads to
Sustained recruiting success

Unlike the downward spiral of the BE.

Competition will not be any better than in the BE. The BE was grossly under-rated. Especially by people on the board

Sure it will. Of course the BE had good years in FB, when it was better than the ACC, and the PAC. But those years were all PRE 2003. Now add SU, Pitt, and next year LVIlle to the ACC. And the competition will be better in the ACC now, than it was at any time in the old BE.

Sure it will. Of course the BE had good years in FB, when it was better than the ACC, and the PAC. But those years were all PRE 2003. Now add SU, Pitt, and next year LVIlle to the ACC. And the competition will be better in the ACC now, than it was at any time in the old BE.

Factually - the two conferences had been very similar. Perception wise? That's where the ACC has a leg up.

Factually - the two conferences had been very similar. Perception wise? That's where the ACC has a leg up.

Not for a decade.

In order:

Coaches/Recruiters
Wins
Facilities
Conference
Yep. And:

Conference $ leads to
Upgraded Facilities leads to
Wins leads to
Retaining good coaches recruiters leads to
Sustained recruiting success

Unlike the downward spiral of the BE.

Catch-22.

Not for a decade.

The BE had better bowl record, and were on par in the BCS. Head to head was close to even. Records vs SEC and B1G, similar. BCS bowl wins, similar.

[/quote]Competition will not be any better than in the BE. The BE was grossly under-rated. Especially by people on the board[/quote]

I think you're correct up to a point, but when it comes to recruiting, perception - by student-athletes, their parents, and their coaches - means a lot. And unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately now for SU) that perception is often created by media comments and attitudes.

Catch-22.

Not really, IMHO.

Money may allow you to retain good coaches and build better facilities. But money alone doesn't allow you to find good coaches or win.

So yeah, the conference $ is a huge help, but the foundation is still making good hires who can recruit and coach. Everything else kinda swirls around that.

9k=

Big East football was a dumpster fire.

Only Pitt, West Virginia were name brands. Louisville/Cincinnati weren't traditional rivals. South Florida, UConn, Rutgers never drew recruits or people to the Dome. Having either Florida State or Clemson on the schedule, with Wake, Boston College, Pitt,NC State will help recruiting just because we will have access to HS players in NC, SC, GA, FL now. The Big East was not underrated was being held together by glue and came apart when SU, Pitt, WVU all jumped ship.

It's all about perception and right or wrong the big east was perceived as weak.

However you still have to win. can't go to the ACC and anchor the basement because then money nor facilities will matter. Blue chips want to play for a winner. They're not going to play for 2-10 teams bc you have the nicest weight room and ipf.

In order:

Coaches/Recruiters
Wins
Facilities
Conference

Here are my rankings.

Facilities/Wow Factor/Stadium/Money is No. 1.
Winning is No. 2.
I hate to say it, but I think Conference is No. 3 and Coaches are No. 4.

Here are my rankings.

Facilities/Wow Factor/Stadium/Money is No. 1.
Winning is No. 2.
I hate to say it, but I think Conference is No. 3 and Coaches are No. 4.

Hmmm...

I'm trying to think of examples where a program is recruiting at a sustained high level with a mediocre staff, but killer facilities. Basically a scenario where the facilities recruit themselves.

Now maybe coaches look like better recruiters because of the facilities, and therefore don't appear "mediocre", but I don't know how we control for that.

Its hard for me to put conference ahead of coaches though. If that were the case its hard to explain Boise State, TCU, MWC-era Utah, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom