Jaws or Dilfer? | Syracusefan.com

Jaws or Dilfer?

Crusty

Living Legend
During the NFL Draftathon, Trent Dilfer opined that Ryan Nassib had a flaw in his throwing mechanics that kept him from being able to throw an accurate long ball. A day or so later Jaws said Dilfer was wrong and that Tom Brady "cupped" his wrist the same way and "he's pretty good!"

While I have a healthy respect for mechanics, Dilfer's analysis sounded a bit strained to me but I really have to no way to judge. Anyone have an opinion on who is right? (For that matter, anyone have an idea what the hell Dilfer is talking about?)

I really like Dilfer but I think he's way off on this one.

Look back at our first Pinstripe Bowl win. Imo, that was Ryan's breakout game. He really took charge at the line of scrimmage and he threw the ball pretty well considering the weather conditions. His long TD pass to Sales was a thing of beauty. Problem is... that pass was the exception rather than rule. How many times did we watch Ryan over-throw WR's on deep balls?

I noticed a completely different approach to the long ball during his junior year. Apparently, Ryan was coached to put more air under his long passes. While attempting to put air under the ball, Ryan seemed to ease-up on his motion as well, which often created an under-thrown pass.

By the end of this past season I think most of Ryan's difficulties with the long ball had become mental. I'm convinced he has the ability and arm strength to throw a very nice deep ball but his head got in the way. Maybe none of this would have happened if we had a dedicated QB coach like we do now. Then again...I could be wrong.

Good points - I think your are right about his junior year and trying to put more air under the ball. It just seems like someone with his arm strength just needs to be coached up, Eli throws a good deep ball so Ryan will have a good mentor if Eli is so inclined. Sean Ryan the Giants QB coach does not seems to have any real history with the position so I doubt he will hav much to teach Eli so maybe Ryan will get a lot of his attention.

Well, if we were to take off the orange colored glasses, I think most would say that Ryan has struggled with accuracy on his deep pass. No one has ever doubted his arm strength. But he lacks the touch to consistently place a 40-50 yard pass on a dime.

Sure, everyone points to Pinstripe I...and Ryan indeed had a good game. But for every good pass, we can point to a number of over/under thrown passes, passes to the wrong shoulder or passes that just never had a chance.

In the end, I think Ryan landed in the PERFECT spot. The Giants will allow him the time to learn the pro game while improving his mechanics.

I really like Dilfer but I think he's way off on this one.

Look back at our first Pinstripe Bowl win. Imo, that was Ryan's breakout game. He really took charge at the line of scrimmage and he threw the ball pretty well considering the weather conditions. His long TD pass to Sales was a thing of beauty. Problem is... that pass was the exception rather than rule. How many times did we watch Ryan over-throw WR's on deep balls?

I noticed a completely different approach to the long ball during his junior year. Apparently, Ryan was coached to put more air under his long passes. While attempting to put air under the ball, Ryan seemed to ease-up on his motion as well, which often created an under-thrown pass.

By the end of this past season I think most of Ryan's difficulties with the long ball had become mental. I'm convinced he has the ability and arm strength to throw a very nice deep ball but his head got in the way. Maybe none of this would have happened if we had a dedicated QB coach like we do now. Then again...I could be wrong.

No, I think your analysis is right on. Great insight. Excellent post!

Ryan's biggest weakness, IMO, and many here would agree, is his long ball.

Dilfer knows a thing or two about the game, as well. That being said, just because some things aren't the norm doesn't mean they can't improve and succeed (as Tom Brady has).

I think a good comparison is an nba jump shot. What comes to mind is Michael redd. I'm sure he has been told throughout his life that his release is poor and needs to change. Somewhere along the way he figured out how to make it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom