Jay Bilas Rankings | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas Rankings

Thank you Jay. Maybe the only person giving us any sort of respect. Also, does he know something about Hughes we don’t know?

Other than Hughes' tweet last night saying that he'll be OK?

Thank you Jay. Maybe the only person giving us any sort of respect. Also, does he know something about Hughes we don’t know?

JMO but I think he overrates the ACC teams - no big surprise there. One team he underrates - as do most pundits - is Houston. That team defends and rebounds as well as any team in the country.

Other than Hughes' tweet last night saying that he'll be OK?
I saw that tweet. I just thought it was interesting that Bilas would base his whole write up on that one tweet, but I guess it’s possible. Either way I am happy that someone is recognizing that we are not as terrible as our record may look.

Bilas put the top 3 ACC teams where they belong, then didn’t list another ACC team until 47, followed by ND and Virginia at 52. NC State finishes it off at 60. All spots that would be considered ‘on the outside looking in’ for the NCAAT. Everything below that doesn’t really matter. Might as well throw darts at a spinning wheel beyond 60.

Yet “jAY bILaS OvERrAtEs tHE aCc”? Hmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is an ACC suck up. HIs "I'm the smartest guy in the room" aura is wearing on me. I think Seth Greenberg is the best analyst on their payroll.
Bilas is my favorite, and often the smartest most sensible guy in the room. I have never heard him say anything over the top and I love that. I like Seth also, I have room for both.

He is an ACC suck up. HIs "I'm the smartest guy in the room" aura is wearing on me. I think Seth Greenberg is the best analyst on their payroll.

Yeah, so? We’re in the ACC
You’re making that sound like a bad thing.

The $EC & B1G have their fanboys, what’s wrong with having one of the most intelligent, personable, & knowledgeable hoops guys being ours?

PS - I don’t think he’s ACC-biased, so I don’t actually agree with your premise.

Seth is excellent too.
(and he LOVES JB.)

Yeah, so? We’re in the ACC
You’re making that sound like a bad thing.

The $EC & B1G have their fanboys, what’s wrong with having one of the most intelligent, personable, & knowledgeable hoops guys being ours?

PS - I don’t think he’s ACC-biased, so I don’t actually agree with your premise.

Seth is excellent too.
(and he LOVES JB.)

It’s not bad! Watching games with Sean McD where he drops all pretenses of being objective is great.

If you listen to Bilas on a national talk show, he is very unbiased. When he is on an ACC show he may seem to show more bias but that's what he is being asked to talk about.
And he usually is the smartest guy in the room. Many of us would like to see him replace Emmert at the NCAA.

Many of us would like to see him replace Emmert at the NCAA.

I would die, in a good way, if that ever happened. The best would be if Emmert had some parting shots that it's harder to fix the NCAA deficiencies than people think, only to have Bilas figure it all out in like a week and a half.

Since being a talking head and part time lawyer is precisely the same as running the National Collegiate Athletics Association I have no doubt Bilas would kill it.

But thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite basketball board H0T Takes...just ahead of “DC should be SU big man coach” but behind “if JJ Reddick can play in The League so can Gmac.”

If you listen to Bilas on a national talk show, he is very unbiased. When he is on an ACC show he may seem to show more bias but that's what he is being asked to talk about.
And he usually is the smartest guy in the room. Many of us would like to see him replace Emmert at the NCAA.
See the Duke game when this “cylinder rule” came into play. He was firmly on the side of FSU there and Jay is a Dukie.

Bilas put the top 3 ACC teams where they belong, then didn’t list another ACC team until 47, followed by ND and Virginia at 52. NC State finishes it off at 60. All spots that would be considered ‘on the outside looking in’ for the NCAAT. Everything below that doesn’t really matter. Might as well throw darts at a spinning wheel beyond 60.

Yet “jAY bILaS OvERrAtEs tHE aCc”? Hmmm.

Louisville at #4 and FSU at #8? Yeah I'd say that's overrating the ACC.

The Ville lost to the mighty 13 loss Yellow Jackets last night. Nice squad but #4, sorry don't see it. Fresh Kimble and Ryan McMahon are two of their key guards - I see them getting eaten up by superior athletes. I admit they have a good coach tho. FSU is even more overrated. They've played numerous games with inferior ACC squads where they were life and death down the stretch. To their credit they pulled most of those out but they don't look like an 8th ranked team to me. Leonard Hamilton rarely gets it done in big spots. And I get that college hoops is down overall for sure. Interesting to note when FSU stepped out of conference they got drilled by IU and were taken to OT by Purdue.

I would die, in a good way, if that ever happened. The best would be if Emmert had some parting shots that it's harder to fix the NCAA deficiencies than people think, only to have Bilas figure it all out in like a week and a half.
Interesting.
The preference is to replace an SU alum with a Duke alum.

Bilas overrates the Orange.
They lost to 4 teams he ranks lower (granted, they also beat two of those teams).
But, it is reasonable to argue that this year things are so balanced...that right now any game between teams ranked about 30 and up should be a tossup.

Nevertheless...it seems the Orange pretty much have to win out to make the NCAA tournament.
Or have another 2006 year and win the ACC Tourney.
Too bad GMac is out of eligibility.

are there any real solid teams? baylor at #1 plays at a scrazy sloppy level most of the time. there are a bunch of teams that can peak when they shoot well, but many that rely on shooting and athletes more than skill and organized bball.

Are we one of the best 68 teams I don't think so but I can see an argument for it. The problem is our resume is not one of the 68 best not even close.

Louisville at #4 and FSU at #8? Yeah I'd say that's overrating the ACC.

The Ville lost to the mighty 13 loss Yellow Jackets last night. Nice squad but #4, sorry don't see it. Fresh Kimble and Ryan McMahon are two of their key guards - I see them getting eaten up by superior athletes. I admit they have a good coach tho. FSU is even more overrated. They've played numerous games with inferior ACC squads where they were life and death down the stretch. To their credit they pulled most of those out but they don't look like an 8th ranked team to me. Leonard Hamilton rarely gets it done in big spots. And I get that college hoops is down overall for sure. Interesting to note when FSU stepped out of conference they got drilled by IU and were taken to OT by Purdue.

Yeah that to me is a red flag and the other shoe will drop soon.

Yeah. They kind of remind me of us a bit during our inaugural ACC season. We had propelled to 25-0 and that #1 ranking but were just getting by some pretty mediocre teams prior to getting beat by a zero/one win type conference team in BC at home. We petered out for the most part afterwards, including getting bounced in our first ACC game against our (who would've thunk at the time) nemesis in NCST and bounced in the 2nd round against Dayton.

are there any real solid teams? baylor at #1 plays at a scrazy sloppy level most of the time. there are a bunch of teams that can peak when they shoot well, but many that rely on shooting and athletes more than skill and organized bball.

What do u mean when u say Baylor plays at a crazy sloppy level?

What do u mean when u say Baylor plays at a crazy sloppy level?
do you watch them play? the last 4 games was awful to watch. they are athletic, which describes many of the top teams, but they dont run real sets, its high speed attack, hopefully get out on the break and bomb 3s. thats the style and when you have bigs it works. We have no bigs and if we were shooting at just a decent level from 3 we would locked in top 4 and be about 12-2 in the ACC.