Jay Bilas Top 10 coaches | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas Top 10 coaches

ce

Jay Wright has 3 Final Fours and 2 NCs in that timeframe.
Billy Donovan has 4 Final Fours and 2 NCs in that timeframe.

I would take both over Izzo.
Boeheim is a top 10 coach of alltime as well.
Same for Pitino.

Bilas list sucks but it’s generating debate.
Jay Bilas is a lawyer. Enough said.

Who's the "y'all?" Different people, no?

The list is solid. I don't know about Gaines, but... i don't know about Gaines.
Amazing, this reaction. Bilas was everyone's favorite until he contradicted JB, and now he's a pariah. Amazing, this reaction. JB doesn't get included on a top ten list, and it is asserted that the list needs to be expanded. Bilas should be grilled on his selection? Seriously? Fans can't accept that (maybe) JB is number eleven?
Amazing. If the list was "Top 20" and JB were 11, i have a feeling there wouldn't be this level of ridiculousness (fewer flipped lids).

To be honest, i think Bilas' list is genuine. He may have fondness for JB, but not as much respect for his coaching as a lot of people here previously thought. And i don't think that's all that uncommon among coaches. It's kinda telling to 'ignore' 1,000 wins as a criteria for inclusion on a top 10 list.
I don't have a big problem with Bilas' list. I'm just a bit fatigued with Bilas in general. He's gotten full of himself over time.

Bilas started off as so good, he had different takes on things and was willing to challenge the status quo. Sadly, he has turned into a guy so full of himself that can never be wrong and is woefully out of touch with the real world. His daily tweets of rap lyrics make him think he's cool, but he just comes across as a pompous upper middle-aged white douche.

Whoever made the comment about him loving the smell of his own farts is a genius and worthy of board presidency.

Bilas started off as so good, he had different takes on things and was willing to challenge the status quo. Sadly, he has turned into a guy so full of himself that can never be wrong and is woefully out of touch with the real world. His daily tweets of rap lyrics make him think he's cool, but he just comes across as a pompous upper middle-aged white douche.

Whoever made the comment about him loving the smell of his own farts is a genius and worthy of board presidency.

Very well put. I agree totally with the last 3 posts from you, HRE Otto and bpo. The smartest guy in the room schtick grew old for me awhile ago.

Very well put. I agree totally with the last 3 posts from you, HRE Otto and bpo. The smartest guy in the room schtick grew old for me awhile ago.

He still does the rap lyric thing!

He’s been doing that EVRY DAY since like 2013 at the latest.

Granted I don’t watch a lot of in studio talking head stuff but all of these guys are clowns. Bilas had some respectability back in the day but he’s going into Dick Vitale caricature territory.

And that’s my boomer take for the day.

He still does the rap lyric thing!

He’s been doing that EVRY DAY since like 2013 at the latest.

Granted I don’t watch a lot of in studio talking head stuff but all of these guys are clowns. Bilas had some respectability back in the day but he’s going into Dick Vitale caricature territory.

And that’s my boomer take for the day.
This is Jay Bilas adapting to what ESPN wants.

fellow_kids_steve_buscemi1.gif

Somebody has to make the Wendy’s TV commercial money.

Bilas would have had JB on his list before this season. He’s clearly holding a grudge over a stupid argument. Petty.
EXACTLY ^^^^^^^^
As someone mentioned - it is totally subjective.

That's a good list but Wooden belongs #1. Think Secretariat and the Belmont. Not even close.

Winning when you have the best players when like 20 other teams are taking basketball seriously isn't that great. He would never have done that in the modern era. He's also the biggest cheater in college basketball history.

As you said it’s all razor thin in the difference between the last couple listed and those.not.

Mark Few’s inclusion is the craziest.
He js a damn good coach but the entirety of his resume is not the same as other coaches.
I mentioned Billy Donovan and he gets completely forgotten.
1997-2015 at Florida
4 Final Fours, 2 NCs he got to the Elite 8 4 years in a row 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.

He didn’t stay in college hoops or he could have had more.
To me titles matter a lot in these type of discussions when it’s coaching.

I would have Jim Boeheim over Tom Izzo. I think Boeheim has done more with less.

Donovan was on my list.

Few is really good, but padding his record in the WCC helps him.

I'm a lonely voice here, but I think what Calhoun did at UConn is the greatest coaching job of all time. His players won in a place that never won. He built that from scratch. No one else on these lists can say that.

Amazing, this reaction. Bilas was everyone's favorite until he contradicted JB, and now he's a pariah. Amazing, this reaction. JB doesn't get included on a top ten list, and it is asserted that the list needs to be expanded. Bilas should be grilled on his selection? Seriously? Fans can't accept that (maybe) JB is number eleven?
Amazing. If the list was "Top 20" and JB were 11, i have a feeling there wouldn't be this level of ridiculousness (fewer flipped lids).

To be honest, i think Bilas' list is genuine. He may have fondness for JB, but not as much respect for his coaching as a lot of people here previously thought. And i don't think that's all that uncommon among coaches. It's kinda telling to 'ignore' 1,000 wins as a criteria for inclusion on a top 10 list.
I don’t see how Few over Boeheim is justifiable at this point.

Bilas is still my favorite.

His daily tweets of rap lyrics make him think he's cool, but he just comes across as a pompous upper middle-aged white douche.
They're so cringe-worthy. "I'm from the projects yada yada..."

No Jay, you're from Rolling Hills Estates, California, but many of the kids who you get paid a lot of money to talk about are in fact from the projects.

No Jay, you're from Rolling Hills Estates, California, but many of the kids who you get paid a lot of money to talk about are in fact from the projects.

It was kinda funny the first few times. That was many years ago. I can’t believe he still does it. I unfollowed years ago because of it.

Mark few is one of the top coaches in today’s game, I might say one of the top 5 coaches at this time But 2 things.

1- That doesn’t make him one of the 10 greatest at of all time.

2- you can’t be on a top 10 list like this and not have at least 1 championship.
Plus his primary conference competition is St Mary’s and USF, not exactly UConn and Georgetown or UNC and Duke and Louisville.

I mean I’m a UConn fan but Boeheim has got to be on the list. Maybe he’s not a top 10 coach at the moment but that’s not the criteria. Few is obviously in the current top 10 but that whole part about consecutive 30 win seasons wouldn’t be true if they played in the PAC 12. They’d definitely still be great though.

But at least he advocates for them to be able to make money off themselves. Unlike many of the coaches who literally make their millions off the backs of those kids who think NIL money will ruin sports.

We have the most insane fanbase imaginable. For the better part of the last 24 months, you guys have been throwing hate and vitriol at Boeheim. Can't coach, can't recruit, lazy, out of touch, plays favorites, doesn't care about winning...

Then he doesn't get listed as one of the best of all time and y'all flip your lids in outrage.
If you’re basing this on the 20 or so people that regularly post here, I would say that’s not the most scientific measuring stick.

Izzo - 71.7% winning percentage, 23 out of 25 years in the tournament (not counting 26 year due to covid and no tournament), 23 straight years in tournament. He has 1 championship, 8 final fours, 10 regular season championships and 6 tournament championships.

jimmy- 72.6% winning percentage, 34 out of 44 years made the tournament (again not counting 45 years due to covid), 1 championship, 5 final fours, 10 big east championships, 5 tournament championships

Head to head, Jim obviously has the advantage 5-1. But, the only other advantage Jim has over Izzo is the winning percentage. And Michigan state always seems to play one of the hardest non conference schedules. Not sure if that had always been the case so by all accounts you would have to put izzo above Jim on one of these lists.
Making the ncaas 23 out of 25 is the most impressive stat there. Jb falls well short there, mostly because of the last 15 years or so when NIT and bubbles became a semi regular question. Perhaps if izzo coached another 20 years his numbers would also fade.

Winning when you have the best players when like 20 other teams are taking basketball seriously isn't that great. He would never have done that in the modern era. He's also the biggest cheater in college basketball history.
He won five titles with guys u never heard of.

Donovan was on my list.

Few is really good, but padding his record in the WCC helps him.

I'm a lonely voice here, but I think what Calhoun did at UConn is the greatest coaching job of all time. His players won in a place that never won. He built that from scratch. No one else on these lists can say that.
Wooden won seven titles in a row. No one else has won more than two in a row. Wooden's predecessor was 93-120 so I guess u could say Wooden built the UCLA program from scratch, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom