JB and coming back in games | Syracusefan.com

JB and coming back in games

Or is it that after falling behind, he then subs in his best forwards? Is that great coaching or is it stubbornness ?
Regardless- you don’t see many teams do it. And with this little talent…

Or is it that after falling behind, he then subs in his best forwards? Is that great coaching or is it stubbornness ?
I don’t get the complaints about the forwards and who starts . Brown plays starters minutes. Whoever impresses, plays. Today it was Q. It doesn’t matter who starts- it’s who finishes. None of the group, except Brown, has really distinguished themselves so whoever plays best in a game stays in.

I’m pretty sure the OP means historically. And he’s not wrong. Our teams rarely give up. It’s one of JB’s strengths.

The same can be said in close games or games where we have a slim lead late (slide rule!)

Well, historically anyway…

I don’t get the complaints about the forwards and who starts . Brown plays starters minutes. Whoever impresses, plays. Today it was Q. It doesn’t matter who starts- it’s who finishes. None of the group, except Brown, has really distinguished themselves so whoever plays best in a game stays in.
The bolded part will be met with snark. You’re right, though.

I agree with this in principle, and would agree wholeheartedly if that plan worked. It' s just that we dig a hole in the first few minutes of most games nowadays. If you were clearly the best forward, wouldn't you want to be a starter? And Brown has been getting starter minutes, so that is a good point. But only in the past few weeks. And against Miami earlier this week he only got 13 minutes.

With the amount of narrow defeats I’d say it matters a lot.
I see what you mean. But doesn’t that also mean Williams and Bell should never see the floor? They have to come in at some point.

I’m pretty sure the OP means historically. And he’s not wrong. Our teams rarely give up. It’s one of JB’s strengths.
OSU says “for sure”

Getting behind 12 every game isnt easy to come back from

I see what you mean. But doesn’t that also mean Williams and Bell should never see the floor? They have to come in at some point.
Exactly.
2 games ago Chris Bell was the best player on the floor, just like Benny 3 games before that.
The only critique for JB here is waiting too long to bring in the cavalry. But you have to give Benny and Bell a chance to show they might have it that particular game. Its the smart move.

Last edited:
As bad as it is that we often fall behind over the years, something has to be said about the coach and his ability to calm down the team and rally back. Very few times does a lead feel insurmountable.
Unfortunately, it is a two way street, no lead that we have ever feels safe either, especially against Miami.

Honestly, I have no idea how JB compares historically to other coaches in terms of comebacks. I would have to see data on it. But being down in the first place doesn’t seem like a positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom