JB has changed | Syracusefan.com

JB has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcsu

Living Legend
In watching todays post game presser and listening to Jim after the last game he has changed.
He is as smart as ever and his observations are for the most part spot on. Whats different is that he comes across as an observer vs the teams coach. Hes detailed but hes also detached. Very matter of fact, very laid back.
Like hes reviewing a play vs directing it.

In watching todays post game presser and listening to Jim after the last game he has changed.
He is as smart as ever and his observations are for the most part spot on. Whats different is that he comes across as an observer vs the teams coach. Hes detailed but hes also detached. Very matter of fact, very laid back.
Like hes reviewing a play vs directing it.
Comes with age. No one beats father time. You just lose fire. You just do.

I watched the presser, not really any complaints from me. Other than the obvious of the fact we lost again to Colgate. And the man to man vs zone comments.

But yeah Colgate was clearly better.

Especially when somebody moved his cheese, and the whole paradigm in world of college basketball has changed and is a whole new ball game, with the one and dones, transfer portal, and NIL, etc.

Without guys sticking around for years to develop in his system, he and it can’t be as effective. Nor can most anybody else, those Who doesn’t get a couple of one year wonder superstars, the whole new system sucks, especially for most traditional powers.

The Colgates of the world on the other hand or any other school where kids are sticking around to get better both individually and especially as a team over four years, this is going to become the norm, just look at us and FSU.

Last edited:
I watched the presser, not really any complaints from me. Other than the obvious of the fact we lost again to Colgate. And the man to man vs zone comments.

The reality of how mediocre (or bad) this team may turn out and the heat he’s about to endure hasn’t hit JB yet. When it does, it’s not going to be pretty.

His best recruiting ever has one freshman contributing. Bell and Taylor may not be ACC players. There’s a reason we got Taylor from Virginia.
Honestly, this isn’t close to his best class. JB has been overhyping this group for months. And imagine what this class would like if we didn’t land Mintz?

Our spineless administration should have made him go. The succession plan was a spineless load of crap in the first place
I’ve said time and time again that he should have left after the 2016 F4. He never should have been allowed to stay after the second probation. It was a perfect time to leave. Everyone involved blew it.

Honestly, I don’t know how any long time fan of the program can stomach watching that presser. For me, it’s an all too familiar and consistent tune during this steady decline that has now reached such a brutal and sickening state.

JB stating that SYRACUSE is not good enough to beat a team the likes of Colgate in game two of the season. Let that sink in for a moment.

If his statement doesn’t pierce one’s eardrum, then it is just more proof of what Syracuse basketball is today, completely irrelevant and being okay with it.

I can recall a time (and not that long ago) where losing to a Colgate team (or the like) in the Dome, by double digits nonetheless, whether game two or twenty two, would have been shocking…period!

It’s now seemingly acceptable to JB, as one would be hard pressed to interpret the tone of his presser any differently or otherwise. The broader question is; are the powers that be along with the fan base just as accepting?

Even Popovitch laughs and smiles during/after losses these days.

Last edited:
“I gave him an unlimited budget and he exceeded it.”

Honestly, that line from Washington Redskins management about George Allen about sums it up.

It’s about selfishness and ego at this point, and that’s sad. Predictable, but sad.

Agree 1000%. High major college basketball is a performance-oriented profession. Competing at the highest level requires the coach to really grind on the recruiting trail, and connect with "modern" HS recruits in different ways than in the past.

How can JB even relate to teenaged players at ~80 years old? And he hasn't been willing to grind for nearly two decades.

JB has indeed changed [to the OP's original point] -- he's become an inflexible old man.

Agree 1000%. High major college basketball is a performance-oriented profession. Competing at the highest level requires the coach to really grind on the recruiting trail, and connect with "modern" HS recruits in different ways than in the past.

How can JB even relate to teenaged players at ~80 years old? And he hasn't been willing to grind for nearly two decades.

JB has indeed changed [to the OP's original point] -- he's become an inflexible old man.
Jb was born inflexible.

I’ve said time and time again that he should have left after the 2016 F4. He never should have been allowed to stay after the second probation. It was a perfect time to leave. Everyone involved blew it.
a second probation was the exit ramp. no matter how flimsy it was, it was time.

The man has dealt with two probations, Bernie Fine fiasco (which was probably an embarrassment vs a liability), a death of a man which was an accident and coaching his own kids.

All of this has had its impact on the man. At this point time to figure out a plan. He's so stubborn that he won't decide to make the right decision. Julie and Wildhack probably have to go to him and smoke out a retirement plan.

JB loves being JB. He’s clearly not able to coach and recruit like he used to. He’s selfish and should have walked away a few years ago.
SU basketball has been his whole life - he's incorporated his family into it more than any coach maybe ever. He doesn't know anything else, what else has he ever tried. It's like seeing that pasqualoni was still coaching this year. It's incredible and a little sad in a way but not that sad. I just can't imagine being that dedicated to any pursuit. It's going to require it getting so bad for him to say, "Boy this thing that I'm amazing at is not fun any more and i'd rather go sit around and do what exactly"

I sometimes wonder, does Wildhack really have the power to do this?

Or does he need approval from President and BOT? Can the BOT call an emergency meeting to address exit strategy? Anyone in the know?

SU basketball has been his whole life - he's incorporated his family into it more than any coach maybe ever. He doesn't know anything else, what else has he ever tried. It's like seeing that pasqualoni was still coaching this year. It's incredible and a little sad in a way but not that sad. I just can't imagine being that dedicated to any pursuit. It's going to require it getting so bad for him to say, "Boy this thing that I'm amazing at is not fun any more and i'd rather go sit around and do what exactly"
He certainly has other interests that could occupy his time. He just likes doing this more for now, and no one is pushing him toward the exit.

I sometimes wonder, does Wildhack really have the power to do this?

Or does he need approval from President and BOT? Can the BOT call an emergency meeting to address exit strategy? Anyone in the know?
There’s no way he would do it without conversations and approval from person(s) above him. That’s how firings go at the highest levels, even if someone may have the power to do so on paper.

I actually think the administration and BOT need to be having conversations about Wildhack’s performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom