JB: Jerami Grant......a game time decision | Syracusefan.com

JB: Jerami Grant......a game time decision

Can't say I'm all that shocked. I haven't read any updates on him this week. Back injuries linger, I know firsthand.

back injuries are extremly difficult lets hope he is good to go but frankly if not 100% let him sit.

Back injuries linger, I know firsthand.

^^This. Sadly, this. I can work through many injuries in the gym. However, back injuries have made getting out of bed nearly impossible at times. Here's hoping it is minor.

From a Donna Ditota article today:

One note on Grant: The SU sophomore said before Thursday's practice that he felt "great," that back issues that kept him out of most of Monday's Maryland game had been resolved. He practiced without incident on Wednesday. Reporters were not allowed to watch SU practice on Thursday. (It's a complicated issue involving "guests" at practice and perceived potential NCAA violations that could arise if reporters attend.)

Gbinije will deliver us to victory. #teamG

^^This. Sadly, this. I can work through many injuries in the gym. However, back injuries have made getting out of bed nearly impossible at times. Here's hoping it is minor.

First week I was living in Australia for study abroad, I was in the ocean and tried body surfing a wave. It crashed from the top and my head bounced off the ocean floor as my lower body flipped over my torso (the unnatural way). Pretty sure I was stunned and partially concussed when it happened.

Could barely walk for a week and I felt the pain in my lower back for a crazy long time. Ironically enough, a few months later in my marine studies class I found out the beach where it happened is known for its crashing style waves and spinal injuries. Classic. Still feel pain if I sit wrong in a chair. This happened like 3 years ago.

First week I was living in Australia for study abroad, I was in the ocean and tried body surfing a wave. It crashed from the top and my head bounced off the ocean floor as my lower body flipped over my torso (the unnatural way). Pretty sure I was stunned and partially concussed when it happened.

Could barely walk for a week and I felt the pain in my lower back for a crazy long time. Ironically enough, a few months later in my marine studies class I found out the beach where it happened is known for its crashing style waves and spinal injuries. Classic. Still feel pain if I sit wrong in a chair. This happened like 3 years ago.

Don't live as a slave to the pain forever. Maybe a good chiropractor or massage therapist can help. Your quality of life shouldn't suffer. Our bodies aren't made of glass and can take some serious punishment. Hope you can find an appropriate therapy to reverse the damage. To the point, back injuries can be devastating. I say the body can take a beating, but the spine is so important to overall health and well-being.

The same exact thing happened to me when I lived in LA. There was a section of beach in Newport Beach known as The Wedge. The configuration there led to higher waves. I went body surfing there, and like you, got driven face first into the sand and flipped over by the curling waves. I remember feeling several loud cracks in my upper back and neck. Fortunately, I was uninjured, but it scared me to death. Several months later, my wife interned in a quadriplegic ward, and 90% of the patients were there because of body surfing (the rest were motorcycle accidents), and most of those happened at The Wedge.

Moral of the story: Don't body surf in big waves. Please don't. Yeah, it's a blast, but it's not worth the risk.

Don't live as a slave to the pain forever. Maybe a good chiropractor or massage therapist can help. Your quality of life shouldn't suffer. Our bodies aren't made of glass and can take some serious punishment. Hope you can find an appropriate therapy to reverse the damage. To the point, back injuries can be devastating. I say the body can take a beating, but the spine is so important to overall health and well-being.
Don't forget physical therapy which I feel was life changing for me. Also look into ASTM which a limited number of therapists practice. My back used to go out 1-2-3 times a year before that treatment. It's been a decade since ASTM was done and my back has not gone out once since then. It has allowed me to continue to golf as much as I want.

Had some dangerous moments surfing and on an outrigger while living in Oahu, but body surfing at Banzai Pipeline was awesome. Sadly had a friend become a quad while body surfing off Long Island. We think we are invincible when we're young.

Oddly enough, I have zero worries about Grant being able to play today, and close to 100%.

I think the week [5 days] off will really do the team some good, and give Keita / Grant the opportunity to get much needed therapy in the trainer's room all week.

We roll this afternoon.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Last edited:
We know that back injuries are usually chronic and pain can subside only to occur again without much warning or provication. That being the case I wonder how this back problem could effect his decision to go pro or stay. It's get the deal before it becomes a real problem that may reduce one's value or on the other hand he now becomes less of a lottery pick (remember the NBA drafts on potential) until such time the selectors feel that the injury is not a potential problem.

I went to maui and they had the same waves. Incredible power. I was boogie boarding and the first go i crashed straight down. Luckily i was not injured. My next go, i had to pull up hard on the front of the board and caught a great ride.

Had some dangerous moments surfing and on an outrigger while living in Oahu, but body surfing at Banzai Pipeline was awesome. Sadly had a friend become a quad while body surfing off Long Island. We think we are invincible when we're young.

That's too bad. My incident really shook me, makes me scared of the ocean, which to me seems crazy since I've been in plenty of waves that are smooth and completely unlike the one that hurt me.

I'm not sure whether to comment on Grant's condition or my own experiences with back pain. So confused. ;)

If no Grant, is that a blessing in disguise? UVA's defense seems to be built to stop a guy like Jerami, but MG brings another perimeter threat that can stretch them.

If no Grant, is that a blessing in disguise? UVA's defense seems to be built to stop a guy like Jerami, but MG brings another perimeter threat that can stretch them.
no it is not a blessing these guys are tough on the boards we need Jg

I'm not sure whether to comment on Grant's condition or my own experiences with back pain. So confused. ;)

If you happen to be Jerami Grant, please feel inclined to do both. :cool:

I get your point, but to me the problem is that we have so few parts that when one of them is missing, we are completely out of sync.

Commendable but wishful thinking. IMO we need a healthy JG and for him to have a good game. He brings an athleticism that can transcend their discipline and physicality.

Count me in as thinking we need a good game from Grant tonight to put us over the top.

But it would be great to see Gbinije have one of those 7-9 point games where he knocks down a couple of shots in front of his "home" crowd friends / family.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom