JB/older coaches/covid | Syracusefan.com

JB/older coaches/covid

Our coaches age and future is already a factor for kids and for our foes when recruiting against us. This really doesn't move the needle.
If theres a season is JB the type that's comfortable taking the chance coaching? (Honest question idk?) Maybe he isnt and then what? Who coaches? I'm sure that would move the needle. But I'm betting if there is a season that JB will be the one doing the coaching so its probably not a big deal. Just thought it was something to think about with all of this going on in the world...you never know what someone's stance is on it and the chances they are willing to take. I say it's possible it could move the needle...

If theres a season is JB the type that's comfortable taking the chance coaching? (Honest question idk?) Maybe he isnt and then what? Who coaches? I'm sure that would move the needle. But I'm betting if there is a season that JB will be the one doing the coaching so its probably not a big deal. Just thought it was something to think about with all of this going on in the world...you never know what someone's stance is on it and the chances they are willing to take. I say it's possible it could move the needle...
It's two things really. The first is whether this will hurt us in recruiting. I don't believe covid moves the needle at all as far as anyone deciding on Syracuse. The second part is a little more complicated. Should JB coach. Only he can answer that but there is no question there is a great deal of added risk for a guy that is 76 years old. If I had to answer the question for him, I would say he shouldn't coach until a vaccine is available.

It's two things really. The first is whether this will hurt us in recruiting. I don't believe covid moves the needle at all as far as anyone deciding on Syracuse. The second part is a little more complicated. Should JB coach. Only he can answer that but there is no question there is a great deal of added risk for a guy that is 76 years old. If I had to answer the question for him, I would say he shouldn't coach until a vaccine is available.
And with your lasnt sentence, you dont think that could impact our immediate recruiting. I'm talking immediate like a kid like Frank. Going into a season with such uncertainty anyways with everything going on and now your trying to pick a school to play at and theres always a possibility that the HOF coach you want to play for and is a older guy that beat cancer might not be able to coach you. But I guess overall recruiting idk if it changes anything. I'm thinking more immediate as in the guy we are trying to close on right now.

i’ll admit I think jim’s retirement is overdue.

that said, it’d be a tragedy to have the most impactful Syracuse coach of all time pushed out by a pandemic and not on his own terms.

And with your lasnt sentence, you dont think that could impact our immediate recruiting. I'm talking immediate like a kid like Frank. Going into a season with such uncertainty anyways with everything going on and now your trying to pick a school to play at and theres always a possibility that the HOF coach you want to play for and is a older guy that beat cancer might not be able to coach you. But I guess overall recruiting idk if it changes anything. I'm thinking more immediate as in the guy we are trying to close on right now.

No, not enough to make a difference.

Should have no reasonable impact on juniors deciding for ‘21-‘22. This will be behind us by the time they hit campus.

Kids still deciding for next season don’t even know if school will be in person or online, much less whether there will be a college basketball season. Why would they be worried about Covid19 impacting whether JB will coach or not.

No, not enough to make a difference.

Should have no reasonable impact on juniors deciding for ‘21-‘22. This will be behind us by the time they hit campus.

Kids still deciding for next season don’t even know if school will be in person or online, much less whether there will be a college basketball season. Why would they be worried about Covid19 impacting whether JB will coach or not.
Good point

Even if he wants to minimize risk of exposure and let the assistants fo the coaching he still will spend time with Buddy and Jimmy who will be practicing with their respective teams daily. If someone on the team is infected it will still get to him indirectly.

Or highly effective treatment(s).

So are we supposed to live in a bubble for the rest of our lives?
Nice straw man. But if teachers over 65 can’t go back why should coaches?

I didnt intend for this to be a what's right or wrong for someone to do. Just thought it was interesting to think of with JB being considered more at risk and now the media bringing it up...didnt think it was the best publicity for us when it comes to immediate recruiting but i guess everything is up in the air. Let's see if we have a season first and then go from there.

It should be up to the person. Are we we supposed to stop living until there is a vaccine?
89,000 people have died since there is no vaccine. Maybe you haven't noticed. This virus is highly contagious. You aren't 76. You probably aren't in the group that is in the prime target area of this virus. Good. But people that aren't in the prime target area are dying. And maybe even worse, they are spreading the virus to other people and those people are dying from it. But then again, we can all pretend that this isn't happening and just go on with our days.

Also this would be the perfect time for the GMAC expeirence

Wow. Can't believe that most of he posts are more concerned about the impact on recruiting. Others that "we can't live our life in a bubble". No concern for the coach? No concern for his family? The current players? It's not called "high risk category" for nothing! What people seem to fail to comprehend is you don't only put yourself at risk but your family, friends and co-workers.

Wow. Can't believe that most of he posts are more concerned about the impact on recruiting. Others that "we can't live our life in a bubble". No concern for the coach? No concern for his family? The current players? It's not called "high risk category" for nothing! What people seem to fail to comprehend is you don't only put yourself at risk but your family, friends and co-workers.
We all have concern for our coach and players but there needs to be a point where we get back to normal.