JB on Hughes

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member

reedny

Hall of Fame
That is very good news. Adding offensive firepower to a team this defensively talented is going to make this year's team very exciting. With Tyus coming back Hughes will probably get a few minutes at SG and the rest at SF. I don't see OB coming out that much, so Hughes might eat into Marek's minutes. Who knows. But JB also calls Carey "explosive" in the pod.

Last edited:

Lucid

Last One Picked
“We’re going to be a significantly better offensive team next season.”

We have a lot of posters on this board, myself included, who have said that we should be at least as good on defense, and definitely better on offense this season.

JB says "significantly better," and I think he's in a better position to judge than we are. ;)

NorSyr66

2nd String
I hate these quotes. We had Wes Johnson in 2010 and he didn’t get this hype.
Hughes numbers don’t add up to this hype.
This smacks of the comments on the 2016 team being NC good.
Just say little.
Totally agree with you about "comments too early". Been there before/recently. However one thing I heard over the past year was how tough a defender Hughes was in practice against Battle. Not hearing much about his defense, only his offense.
Any current observations regarding his defensive ability?

reedny

Hall of Fame
I love the positivity, but when I read this... I think this; regarding 2016-17 season.

View attachment 130284

I am not sure JB knows how to avoid speaking in extremes anymore. Everything is hyperbole.

Jim Boeheim to ESPN: 'This is the best team we've had in a long time'
But I'm not sure he was wrong about that team on paper, pre-season. After those comments, we lost 2/3's of our front line -- Coleman couldn't even run down the Court and Chukwu went out with a freak eye injury. So all that "size" and JB's confidence went over the deck with injuries to our 7'2 shot-blocker and our 6-10/275 lb. low-post scorer and rebounder. That forced JB to start playing guys out of position, and the rest is history.

Last edited:

RF2044

Living Legend
But I'm not sure he was wrong about that team on paper, pre-season. After those comments, we lost 2/3's of our front line -- Coleman couldn't even run down the Court and Chukwu went out with a freak eye injury. So JB's confidence in our "size" disappeared and he had to start playing guys out of position. The rest is history.
ding, ding, ding

I know we can't do much with the past but man, I REALLLLLY wished that 16-17 team made it to the tourny. We had the offensive power to take down some BIG teams...but also lose to a 16 seed LOL

HOFCeluck

Seems legit.
I know we can't do much with the past but man, I REALLLLLY wished that 16-17 team made it to the tourny. We had the offensive power to take down some BIG teams...but also lose to a 16 seed LOL
Hopefully we’d get to play games in the Dome.

RF2044

Living Legend
I hate these quotes. We had Wes Johnson in 2010 and he didn’t get this hype.
Hughes numbers don’t add up to this hype.
This smacks of the comments on the 2016 team being NC good.
Just say little.
I'm not saying this as a criticism -- just as an observation. You haven't been high on Hughes from the beginning. You've often pointed to his numbers at East Carolina as the basis for you not being enthused.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom