JB On Sidibe | Syracusefan.com

JB On Sidibe

That would be fantastic. Tonight’s game showed we desperately need someone that can hold their own on D in the middle. Marek is trying, but he’s a rail thin, tall forward who gets pushed around on the interior. His intelligence allows him to be serviceable in this spot.

I don’t think Jesse is an answer. From what I’ve seen he may have some potential on offense, but is not going to help on D except for the fouls, if he can be taught to give them properly.

JBA has some size and potential, but is still too raw to be counted on.

Frank??

Get Sidibe back, who sits? Because Marek and Griffin bring something on offense and Q has been our best player.
No easy answer, but Sid, Woody and Kadary will give us some genuine options (assuming Sid is 100%. Griffin can swing to 2G which can help.

That would be fantastic. Tonight’s game showed we desperately need someone that can hold their own on D in the middle. Marek is trying, but he’s a rail thin, tall forward who gets pushed around on the interior. His intelligence allows him to be serviceable in this spot.

I don’t think Jesse is an answer. From what I’ve seen he may have some potential on offense, but is not going to help on D except for the fouls, if he can be taught to give them properly.

JBA has some size and potential, but is still too raw to be counted on.

Frank??
I’ll post this here as well since this is about Sidibe.

We can’t get Sid back and healthy fast enough. Our interior defense is absolute trash right now. We’re getting little paint or rim protection without a true center. And our perimeter defense is almost as bad. Sidibe is not a panacea, but he should help considerably, especially if he defends and rebounds as well as he did the final 8-10 games of last season. I know everyone is disappointed by the younger bigs, but big men always take longer (aka years) to develop. Frank has all the raw athletic material, he just needs a year or two of development. Same with Jesse, though I thought he’d be able to contribute a little bit this season, but JB doesn’t seem to trust him at all.

Last edited:
Get Sidibe back, who sits? Because Marek and Griffin bring something on offense and Q has been our best player.
No easy answer, but Sid, Woody and Kadary will give us some genuine options (assuming Sid is 100%. Griffin can swing to 2G which can help.

Our frontline played 39,42 & 45 minutes tonight. In a normal game there are 120 minutes to be divided up in the front court. Not sure why it would be so hard to reasonably allocate the 120 minutes among the four primary guys and still give Woody a few minutes also. None of them need to play every minute ever.

Novel idea: use the guys situationally depending on the opponent and who is playing well.

Last edited:
I wonder how much ground he will have lost both in skills and conditioning. By the time new year's rolls around, you guys are going to be expecting nothing less than Olajuwon from him. You'll gleefully eviscerate the kid if he's not putting up 18 and 20 games.

Huh? Kadary has to play against get in your face man2man. Thats an easy answer. Really easy. Joe is anointed I guess by you?

I wonder how much ground he will have lost both in skills and conditioning. By the time new year's rolls around, you guys are going to be expecting nothing less than Olajuwon from him. You'll gleefully eviscerate the kid if he's not putting up 18 and 20 games.

Some will for sure. Sid is going to be important in the rotation flexibility that is impacted by matchup. For instance against BC, Niagara, Rider smaller really helped us. Against Bryant, RU and UB we needed the size inside on both ends.

We just need Sid to play strong interior defense, protect the paint and the rim and grab boards. Marek can’t handle the middle for long stretches. We need him and Quincy on the wings to help on close outs at the rim. We def don’t need Sid to score much, except on put backs and dump offs (though Sid has good footwork and can score on the block when needed).

Our frontline played 39,42 & 45 minutes tonight. In a normal game there are 120 minutes to be divided up in the front court. Not sure why it would be so hard to reasonably allocate the 120 minutes among the four primary guys and still give Woody a few minutes also. None of them need to play every minute ever.

Novel idea: use the guys situationally depending on the opponent and who is playing well.
If Sid averages 20 minutes and Marek takes 15 at the center spot, we've got 85 minutes left.
Q - 34
Alan - 32
Marek -18
One minute left for Woody and the centers! Pretty sure they'll get more minutes, but it it will probably be when someone's in foul trouble, garbage time, or an injury/covid replacement. (and I probably shorted Marek mins)

Last edited:

All we need and have needed for years is a guy who can give us 8 and 8, play solid defense and finish at the rim. Nobody expects Olajuwon, we just want a serviceable, average center.

Sidibe is not even that guy, and it's on the coaches. We've known he's not that guy for years. A decent 5 is not hard to find, even low level teams field them.

With Sid coming back, we’ll have a solidified 7 man rotation. Sid may start off the bench for a few games but he’ll be back in the starting line up and Griff will come off the bench. Marek moves over to the wing. Sid will average 20-25mins a game and Marek will be his back up

Cut some of Buddy's minutes at the 2G. use KR. at the PG. AG. at the 2G. then the front line of Sidibe - Marek- and QG. would give us our best defensive line along with great rebounding it might lack some outside shooting so bring off the bench BB. - JG. - WN. and don't let the 3 big men sit there and rot it does not hurt us one bit to give one of those guys 3-5 minutes a game.

Cut some of Buddy's minutes at the 2G. use KR. at the PG. AG. at the 2G. then the front line of Sidibe - Marek- and QG. would give us our best defensive line along with great rebounding it might lack some outside shooting so bring off the bench BB. - JG. - WN. and don't let the 3 big men sit there and rot it does not hurt us one bit to give one of those guys 3-5 minutes a game.
It wouldn’t hurt to give the 3 spare young centers some minutes, but this is JB’s rotation — so it won’t happen. If Sidibe is healthy, he and Marek will be our centers.
Kadary has earned his PG role — the majority of the minutes.

The rest will have to evolve. Not a bad things, as others have posted above, if none of our better guys (Buddy, QG, Griffin, Marek) have to be playing 30-plus minutes.

With Sid coming back, we’ll have a solidified 7 man rotation. Sid may start off the bench for a few games but he’ll be back in the starting line up and Griff will come off the bench. Marek moves over to the wing. Sid will average 20-25mins a game and Marek will be his back up

8 man rotation. Woody has earned his spot and gives us the ability to actually go with a 4 guard rotation adding AG to that rotation when it is warranted and two of the other three are struggling. One thing that is clear is that Quincy is our iron man this year and there is no question he has more than earned it with his outputs. Prefer he gets 3-5 minutes of rest once Sid comes back.

I’ll post this here as well since this is about Sidibe.

We can’t get Sid back and healthy fast enough. Our interior defense is absolute trash right now. We’re getting little paint or rim protection without a true center. And our perimeter defense is almost as bad. Sidibe is not a panacea, but he should help considerably, especially if he defends and rebounds as well as he did the final 8-10 games of last season. I know everyone is disappointed by the younger bigs, but big men always take longer (aka years) to develop. Frank has all the raw athletic material, he just needs a year or two of development. Same with Jesse, though I thought he’d be able to contribute a little bit this season, but JB doesn’t seem to trust him at all.

The team is getting better at pressing. With this deeper roster JB will probably employ it more often and use the bench for it.

The team is getting better at pressing. With this deeper roster JB will probably employ it more often and use the bench for it.
i hope so...pressing with the length of this team is so effective...and pressing makes it easier to use the whole team...which i think will benefit the team in the long run too.

i hope so...pressing with the length of this team is so effective...and pressing makes it easier to use the whole team...which i think will benefit the team in the long run too.
They wouldn't have won yesterday without the press, and UB is an athletic and big team. He might use it more often.

8 man rotation. Woody has earned his spot and gives us the ability to actually go with a 4 guard rotation adding AG to that rotation when it is warranted and two of the other three are struggling. One thing that is clear is that Quincy is our iron man this year and there is no question he has more than earned it with his outputs. Prefer he gets 3-5 minutes of rest once Sid comes back.
Woody will be MIA bookmark it

All we need and have needed for years is a guy who can give us 8 and 8, play solid defense and finish at the rim. Nobody expects Olajuwon, we just want a serviceable, average center.

Sidibe is not even that guy, and it's on the coaches. We've known he's not that guy for years. A decent 5 is not hard to find, even low level teams field them.

I gave you a like for this, even though I disagree with your take that Sidibe is not even that guy.

He most surely can be, and was for 6 straight games to finish last season.
Double digit boards for 6 straight games.
Double digit scoring in 3. (And 9 points in another).

Including twice against UNC, who have historically abused us inside with their size.
CDB more then held his own against them.
35 mins both games, 17/15 & 12/13.

1608482385348.jpeg

It wouldn’t hurt to give the 3 spare young centers some minutes, but this is JB’s rotation — so it won’t happen. If Sidibe is healthy, he and Marek will be our centers.
Kadary has earned his PG role — the majority of the minutes.

The rest will have to evolve. Not a bad things, as others have posted above, if none of our better guys (Buddy, QG, Griffin, Marek) have to be playing 30-plus minutes.

the 5 is probably the most critical position in the zone and you want the young guys who aren’t ready to get minutes there? No thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom