JB vs. Bud | Syracusefan.com

JB vs. Bud

SWC75

Bored Historian
On the Manchild Show with Boy Green:
they do a weekly "Brunch with Bud" conversation with Bud Poliquin, who used to co-host with Jim Lersh, (the 'Manchild'). Today Bud was expounding on the chances the Boeheims had in the NBA and stated that neither of them has any skills, (including shooting) that the NBA would be interested in and got cotnracts from the Pistons only because of the Boeheim connection. He said that he's been wrong before, (he thought Greg Kelser was the best NBA prospect on the Magic Johnson Michigan State team and Larry Bird's skills wouldn't translate to the NBA), but lauded himself for predicting that Rony Seikaly, (when he was a freshman) would eventually be a lottery pick and that the Pearl would be a bust in the NBA and Jim Boeheim told him he was crazy, predicting that the Pearl would be Rookie of the Year in the NBA.

Jim Boeheim alleges that he never pays attention to talk radio, but he was listening and called in to the show: "I don't mind opinions, but I can't stand false statements". he said that Buddy and Jimmy had multiple offers and they chose Detroit, largely because their G-League team is in the same town, and they can use the same work-out facilities. he said that Buddy had set records for two teams with the most three pointers made in a workout and that people were telling him that their interviews with the teams were as good as they'd ever had. he agreed that it's hard to make the NBA from the G league or the summer league but gave some examples, including Gary Payton's kid and Robertson of Miami. He didn't remember saying Seikaly couldn't be a lottery pick and bemoaned that Pearl "wasn't in the right situation for him". he said that if eh and Bud have disagreed 100 times over the years, Bud has been right about once.

It started out combative but wound up with laughter and self-depreciating humor on both sides. I suspect they will be putting it up on a podcast before the day's out.

Oh, and Jim said that when he retires he might do a show with Bud "that would blow you guys off the air". Bud asked when that would be: "Ten years from now?" I would tune in to the Jim and Bud show. (It wouldn't be the Bud and Jim show.)

Last edited:
On the Manchild Show with Boy Green:
they do a weekly "Brunch with Bud" conversation with Bud Poliquin, who used to co-host with Jim Lersh, (the 'Manchild'). Today Bud was expounding on the chances the Boeheims had in the NBA and stated that neither of them has any skills, (including shooting) that the NBA would be interested in and got cotnracts from the Pistons only because of the Boeheim connection. He said that he's been wrong before, (he thought Greg Kelser was the best NBA prospect on the Magic Johnson Michigan State team and Larry Bird's skills wouldn't translate to the NBA), but lauded himself for predicting that Rony Seikaly, (when he was a freshman) would eventually be a lottery pick and that the Pearl would be a bust in the NBA and Jim Boeheim told him he was crazy, predicting that the Pearl would be Rookie of the Year in the NBA.

Jim Boeheim alleges that he never pays attention to talk radio, but he was listening and called in to the show: "I don't mind opinions, but I can't stand false statements". he said that Buddy and Jimmy had multiple offers and they chose Detroit, largely because their G-League team is in the same town, and they can use the same work-out facilities. he said that Buddy had set records for two teams with the most three pointers made in a workout and that people were telling him that their interviews with the teams were as good as they'd ever had. he agreed that it's hard to make the NBA from the G league or the summer league but gave some examples, including Gary Payton's kid and Robertson of Miami. He didn't remember saying Seikaly couldn't be a lottery pick and bemoaned that Pearl "wasn't in the right situation for him". he said that if eh and Bud have disagreed 100 times over the years, Bud has been right about once.

It started out combative but wound up with laughter and self-depreciating humor on both sides. I suspect they will be putting it up on a podcast before the day's out.

Oh, and Jim said that when he retires he might do a show with Bud "that would blow you guys off the air". Bud asked when that would be: "Ten years from now?" I would tune in to the Jim and Bud show. (It wouldn't be the Bud and Jim show.)

Thanks for the post...interesting talk. I don’t think Buddy got his spot from his connections at all. A two way deal is about in the expected range. and Jimmy got a summer league roster spot..it means next to nothing...people overthinking that one.

“that people were telling him that their interviews with the teams were as good as they'd ever had.”

Now THAT is people blowing smoke. As good as they’ve ever seen, yet no one drafted him...ok.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post...interesting talk. I don’t think Buddy got his spot from his connections at all. A two way deal is about in the expected range. and Jimmy got a summer league roster spot..it means next to nothing...people overthinking that one.

“that people were telling him that their interviews with the teams were as good as they'd ever had.”

Now THAT is people blowing smoke. As good as they’ve ever seen, yet no one drafted him...ok.

Agree across the board with that.

Also, when people who don't understand the NBA try to talk NBA, it's so readily apparent.

This is just a hot take topic. I never thought Buddy or Jimmy would ever make the NBA, but to have discussions like this is just a poor man's version of the worst of First Take but on a local level.

Is Bob Snyder still alive? JB was at war with that guy for years after the 1980 Carrier Classic all star team incident. Something about not voting an SU player MVP.

Bud “The ol’ Wizzer” is still around? Who knew? One thing he got right. He’s been wrong before.

He describes his retirement as "being re-imagined". That includes a half hour conversation each week on the Manchild show.

Is Bob Snyder still alive? JB was at war with that guy for years after the 1980 Carrier Classic all star team incident. Something about not voting an SU player MVP.
One, I was at the game. 2. JB wrote the forward for Snyder's book on Syracuse basketball. Couldn't have been too bad a relationship.

One, I was at the game. 2. JB wrote the forward for Snyder's book on Syracuse basketball. Couldn't have been too bad a relationship.
They used to do a weekly TV show together, though I don't remember if it was before or after that Carrier Classic.

The back and forth was a little snarky but good-natured.

Well, they are interviews, not playing

I was a work-study student in the SU Athletic Department in the 80s. "Snides" was on good terms with JB and everybody in athletic administration. He'd shoot the breeze with everyone when he was off the clock and I'm sure everything was off the record if they talked about the team or something related to the basketball program. They trusted him.

Last edited:

I loved Bob. Back in the day we had many a late night drink together at the Penta Hotel (Hotel Pennsylvania) during BE tournaments. I even played Santa at his daughters elementary school Christmas party.

I loved Bob. Back in the day we had many a late night drink together at the Penta Hotel (Hotel Pennsylvania) during BE tournaments. I even played Santa at his daughters elementary school Christmas party.

Any pictures? It would make a nice Avatar.

Snyder wrote an article the next day describing JB marching up and down press row, angrily lecturing them about why Marty Byrnes should have bene the MVP. Magic used to kid him about it when both were on the Lakers.

It's a little bit like saying a race car had a great stereo... You aren't buying based on the music, but how fast it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom