JB's Postgame Presser | Monmouth | Syracusefan.com

JB's Postgame Presser | Monmouth

Maybe if you had hit the portal for a forward,, you wouldn't be hurting so bad at the forward position. Or, you could have encouraged Cole to come back.
Hit the portal, sure. But it’s stupid to act like he should’ve told Cole to come back. Cole was as good of a basketball player as he was ever going to be, he’s 23 years old and plays one of the most competitive positions in basketball. He left at the right time for Cole, and telling him to come back would’ve been putting the rest of his career at risk for incredibly selfish reasons.

I love the “Collins is their only shooter and we left him open, so that was smart”

Dude still has the same old snark

Also sounds like bell lost his starting spot
If not for Bell.... he is on the very edge!!11

Hit the portal, sure. But it’s stupid to act like he should’ve told Cole to come back. Cole was as good of a basketball player as he was ever going to be, he’s 23 years old and plays one of the most competitive positions in basketball. He left at the right time for Cole, and telling him to come back would’ve been putting the rest of his career at risk for incredibly selfish reasons.
Disagree….Cole played the best basketball of his life the last few weeks of the season. He was basic at Villanova, so so at Cuse….and then turned a corner and played very well to close out the year.

Not saying he should or shouldn’t have encouraged him to come back….that’s on Cole to make his own call IMO. But I disagree that he had maxed out in college.

Re: Brown, JB made the point that he’s still learning the zone defense, isn’t a great passer and isn’t a shooter. “He’s a low post player.” Said Benny gives us another offensive threat away from the basket because he can make a mid range jump shot (though he also needs to work to score closer to the basket). JB said Brown is young and needs some time but acknowledged his stats are better than Hakim Warrick’s were as a freshman. Despite Brown not being an outside shooting threat, I think we’ll see more of Brown if Bell still can’t figure out how to grab a dang rebound. You can tell JB is at the end of his rope with Bell’s ineptness on the boards.

Maybe if you had hit the portal for a forward,, you wouldn't be hurting so bad at the forward position. Or, you could have encouraged Cole to come back.

Didn’t expect it this early

Re: Brown, JB made the point that he’s still learning the zone defense, isn’t a great passer and isn’t a shooter. “He’s a low post player.” Said Benny gives us another offensive threat away from the basket because he can make a mid range pull up jump shot (though he also needs to score closer to the basket). JB said Brown is young and needs some time but acknowledged his stats are better than Hakim Warrick’s were as a freshman. Despite the lack of an outside threat, I think we’ll see more of Brown if Bell still can’t figure out how to grab a dang rebound.
Seems like a solid enough passer from what I’ve seen?

Re: Brown, JB made the point that he’s still learning the zone defense, isn’t a great passer and isn’t a shooter. “He’s a low post player.” Said Benny gives us another offensive threat away from the basket because he can make a mid range jump shot (though he also needs to work to score closer to the basket). JB said Brown is young and needs some time but acknowledged his stats are better than Hakim Warrick’s were as a freshman. Despite Brown not being an outside shooting threat, I think we’ll see more of Brown if Bell still can’t figure out how to grab a dang rebound. You can tell JB is at the end of his rope with Bell’s ineptness on the boards.
I cant ever remember seeing a kid significantly improve their rebounding. Shooting yes. D yes,
Ball handling and rebounding are two areas that are hard to improve. Buddy did a good job on his handle and D. But as to rebounding i cant name a forward that really improved much.

I thought he was pretty clear about his thinking about the forward spots. It is definitely going to be interesting seeing things unfold from game to game.

I cant ever remember seeing a kid significantly improve their rebounding. Shooting yes. D yes,
Ball handling and rebounding are two areas that are hard to improve. Buddy did a good job on his handle and D. But as to rebounding i cant name a forward that really improved much.

I dont know. Chris looks a bit small to rebound. Once he fills out, that could help him. Maybe he will never have a nose for the ball but he may develop a better ability to get the ones he should get.

Seems like a solid enough passer from what I’ve seen?
Eh, he’s fine. But I think Benny is actually a better interior passer right now (Ajak too). I understand why people want to believe that Brown is the answer to all our problems but overall I think they’re overrating him a bit. At small forward, JB wants Bell or Taylor out there for their 3-point shooting skills and to space the floor. But as he said, he just can’t play Bell if he refuses to grab a single rebound. He’s trying to give him a chance to prove it, but Bell isn’t stepping up. Plus, Bell’s zone rotations still leave a lot to be desired. I like the progress I’m seeing with Benny, and I’m fine with Brown as his backup. He really has a knack for being in the right spots and has a nose for the ball and plays calmly and efficiently. His long term potential is clearly evident.

Eh, he’s fine. But I think Benny is actually a better interior passer right now (Ajak too). I understand why people want to believe that Brown is the answer to all our problems but overall I think they’re overrating him a bit. At small forward, JB wants Bell or Taylor out there for their 3-point shooting skills and to space the floor. But as he said, he just can’t play Bell if he refuses to grab a single rebound. He’s trying to give him a chance to prove it, but Bell isn’t stepping up. Plus, Bell’s zone rotations still leave a lot to be desired. I like the progress I’m seeing with Benny, and I’m fine with Brown as his backup. He really has a knack for being in the right spots and has a nose for the ball and plays calmly and efficiently. His long term potential is clearly evident.
So far Bells shooting has not been good enough to make up for his lack of rebounding and marginal D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom