JB's Presser after Seattle | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Seattle

Those comments in response to not playing Jalen Carey are HARSH!!! Wonder if JB is trying to get JC to go ahead and transfer opening schollie for next year.

Wow...what the?!? JB gets Belichick-like when asked about Girard immediately after his opening monlogue:

"Can you talk about Girard? How he...", interupts with a curt, "Yeah he was good...(slaps podium rhythmically, then raises voice in both pitch and volume) Anything else?!".

"What made him so effective tonight?". "He made shots. Next."

Would anyone here get that ticked off from that question? Over 13 minutes left and he asks "Anything else?". I haveven't watched beyond that(about 2 minutes in), but wanted to post this to see what others thought.

Last edited:
Wow...what the?!? JB gets Belichick-like when asked about Girard immediately after his opening monlogue. "Can you talk about Girard? How he...", interupts with a curt, "Yeah he was good...(slaps podium rhythmically, then raises voice) Anything else?!".

Would anyone here get that ticked off from that question? Over 13 minutes left and he asks "Anything else?". I haveven't watched beyond that(about 2 minutes in), but wanted to post this to see what others thought.
I noticed, and it reminded me of Parcells with Romo. Wise tactic if you ask me.

The 2nd time he was asked about Carey, it seemed to me like a milder version of the Belichick death star(e) (albeit shorter), when he admonished the reporter(as well as the rest for the future) that he will not be talking about the players who didn't play.

This was what about 1 minute after he got upset when asked to comment on Girard, who did play.

Townie, I really dig you man, so don't be offended. I'm just a bit nonplussed by what Ive heard in the first 3 and a half minutes...especially after a win, and a relatively comfortable one at that.

For anyone wanting a review who doesn't feel like watching a long presser, I will try to contribute:

After the first 4 or so minutes, there isn't much more dramatic. Although it felt like over half the presser addressed the students' angst, JB is staying on the very popular side, which made it rather dull and uninteresting. He did make a point to insult the President toward the end, which I think would excite a good percentage of this board. I haven't followed this story or read more than the first few pages of the 15 page thread yet, so I have no idea what was even written(does anyone? asking seriously), or if it even falls under this blanket term that is so often used lately...

But Boeheim says the students were bitter at him because they thought he didn't support him by misinterpretting his words, and also because they thought he had more power than he has(zero, according to him). I think JB is a bit like a young Skywalker, in that he doesn't realize the power he weilds(or else he just is very humble, and/or doesn't want to admit said power).

I plan to take tomorrow off from this to rest and regroup, so I wanted to get my thoughts and questions out there now.

Last edited:
For anyone wanting a review who doesn't feel like watching a long presser, I will try to contribute:

After the first 4 or so minutes, there isn't much more dramatic. Although it felt like over half the presser addressed the students' angst, JB is staying on the very popular side, which made it rather dull and uninteresting. He did make a point to insult the President toward the end, which I think would excite a good percentage of this board. I haven't followed this story or read more than the first few pages of the 15 page thread yet, so I have no idea what was even written(does anyone? asking seriously), or if it even falls under this blanket term that is so often used lately...

But Boeheim says the students were bitter at him because they thought he didn't support him by misinterpretting his words, and also because they thought he had more power than he has(zero, according to him). I think JB is a bit like a young Skywalker, in that he doesn't realize the power he weilds(or else he just is very humble, and/or doesn't want to admit said power).

I plan to take tomorrow off from this to rest and regroup, so I wanted to get my thoughts and questions out there now.

Jim's original statement made it clear that he believes that whoever posted the racist graffiti should be found out and expelled. He wasn't excusing what they did at all. he just wanted people to be aware of the positive aspects of the history of the university in this area. His statement should not have been controversial but these days every public statement seems to be.

From the very start of the press conference he seemed disengaged and his initial answers to questions were very curt. He's a passive aggressive kind of guy and it showed throughout the event. At the very end of the press conference he took a shot at the media for their coverage of the football team. I thought that was a strange way to end it. No question Boeheim can coach but his public relations skills leave something to be desired.

He was still angry about losing out on Isaiah earlier in the day.

He was still angry about losing out on Isaiah earlier in the day.

But he's been angry at the press all season. First there was the issue of how many players will be part of the final rotation and his statements that after 44 years he can evaluate players and if you don't like his judgments you can get another coach. Then came the exchange with Brent Axe over whether he has a quick hook. He's twice gone to the "Did you see the game?" well and "we play the players who give us the best chance to win the game." Somebody in the press, (the fans don't bother him as much - he has lower standards for them) questioned his ability to coach or if he should retire, etc. and he's still steaming over it. Somebody "lost faith in him".

Forget what JB said after the game, the quotes from Buddy and Elijah about Girard are the important ones.

“That kid doesn’t fear nothing” “best PG play I’ve seen”.

His teammates seem to have bought in. That’s all that matters.

Forget what JB said after the game, the quotes from Buddy and Elijah about Girard are the important ones.

he has that effect

i think everyone knows that, but the question is what is the value add of what jb says in the post game pc, or moreso the way he says it

If Girard was the PG on the team last year we would have won 5 more games.

I’m sure there will be nights he goes 4-14, but he isn’t going to be the type of kid that gets intimidated by Tre Jones.
That will actually be a duel that will be highly anticipated. I agree that Joe won't back down to Tre but the reverse is true as well.

i think everyone knows that, but the question is what is the value add of what jb says in the post game pc, or moreso the way he says it
His pressers are uncomfortable- it’s like watching your first episode of The Office and waiting for Michael to say something cringeworthy.

Of significance though, is that some coach not named Boeheim is going to inherit one helluva Senior PG.

Forget what JB said after the game,

What Girard did, and how his teammates respond when he's at PG do raise the excitement level for SU fans.
Understand JB's presser goal of deflecting a press overreaction/cheerleading for Girard.
Still, can't understand why JB had to end a fun night for SU fans with a caustic buzzkill presser.
Fans follow SU hoops for entertainment, hoping the best for our team and riding along with the ups/downs.
Last night was an up, until JB's presser. Rather than having to forget what JB said, would have preferred a response (and maybe a smile) that acknowledged a fine performance by a freshman making his first start at PG, THEN adding all the caveats to keep everyone's feet on the ground. Just acknowledge that it was FUN!
As noted, Calipari won Isaiah Jackson yesterday. Not a Calipari fanboy, but he's an example of a head coach that always plays to the press/cameras and promotes his brand. That can only help recruiting, vs being caustic.
At the core, this is entertainment. The focus should always be a rewarding experience for players and fans.
While fully acknowledging JB's success, HOF credentials, and right to coach and present himself as he damn well pleases, as a fan I sometimes find it very hard to understand why with all of that JB can still find it necessary to be so caustic. Sometimes makes it hard to be a fan of the program.

But he's been angry at the press all season. First there was the issue of how many players will be part of the final rotation and his statements that after 44 years he can evaluate players and if you don't like his judgments you can get another coach. Then came the exchange with Brent Axe over whether he has a quick hook. He's twice gone to the "Did you see the game?" well and "we play the players who give us the best chance to win the game." Somebody in the press, (the fans don't bother him as much - he has lower standards for them) questioned his ability to coach or if he should retire, etc. and he's still steaming over it. Somebody "lost faith in him".

JB has never been at his best in a situation where he feels like his judgment is being questioned.
I think its why we perceive the wide gap in his treatment of the "local" media versus "national" media. For the most part the "national" media is focusing on the big picture and willing to take his statements about specific things at face value. They are gathering information for one or two stories per season for an audience that wants broad bush descriptions of what is going on at SU.
The "local" media on the other hand has to churn out new material every day or every other day, so they are getting deeper into the weeds, including questioning strategies, particular decisions and/or playing time decisions.

JB is not at all comfortable being asked to defend his decisions. Then again, how many of us are?

As has been said, JB is first and foremost a coach who emphasizes defense. He's also a little too defensive when certain questions are asked.

What was strange was he at first didn’t want to talk about Girard. Probably didn’t want to add to the hype machine. But later in the presser he talked about him a couple times in a positive manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom