Jeff Tambroni | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Tambroni

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
Has Desko worn out his stay?

Realistically could be 1-2

Is it time for a change in leadership in the lax program?

Don't hold your breathe, he isn't coming to SU. He has a great deal, great admin, state pension and his wife is an alum. I would keep going south for our next HC.

Desko isnt going anywhere, love or hate him the next three recruiting classes are absolutely loaded. 2018 expecially. Matt Magnan and Griffin Cook will be top 10 or even top 5 players in the nation.

Desko's a great tactician, but this style of play is a long way from that which made Syracuse Lax the focus of the sport.

first post of this year. first desko must go was many many comets ago.

Well, that didn't take long. Desko and his staff are just fine. Team is relatively young, not all that experienced and had some injuries that hurt. Growing pains, expect team to adjust, grow and get better as season progresses.

should we expect mediocrity or excellence. this is after all SYRACUSE LACROSSE !

penn st 4-0 start for first time in 25 years. I'm a bit surprised it has taken him as long to really make a big impact but things may finally be turning in the right direction. Damn good coach, great person as well but I agree he isn't leaving Penn St.

I'm not saying desko should be replaced either, lacrosse has so much more competition than ever. Syracuse lacrosse a Is like UCLA basketball, we will win more national championships buts its never going to be what it once was for a ton of different reasons, and most have nothing do to do with desko

penn st 4-0 start for first time in 25 years. I'm a bit surprised it has taken him as long to really make a big impact but things may finally be turning in the right direction. Damn good coach, great person as well but I agree he isn't leaving Penn St.

They beat up Robert Morris, Hobart, 0-2 Cornell, and a 0-3 Villanova team. They have Penn next week, and they don't get into B1G play until April.

Im sure this will come across like sour grapes but i couldn't agree more. Scheduling army and to a lesser extent albany is a no win situation for SU. We get no credit for the win and its their superbowl

Absolutely.

To be fair, we could realistically be 3-0 as well. We played without our 2 best players today (Williams & Mellen) & are still tinkering with the lineup. Let's see how we respond against UVA.

The "Fire Desko" crew was never louder than after we lost @ Cornell last year to drop to 6-4 (including the 17-7 embarrassment vs ND in the 100 year Celebration game). We responded by winning 6 straight including 2 vs eventual champ UNC (blowing them out in the Dome) & our 2nd straight ACC tourney.

Desko isnt going anywhere, love or hate him the next three recruiting classes are absolutely loaded. 2018 expecially. Matt Magnan and Griffin Cook will be top 10 or even top 5 players in the nation.
Our previous classes vs. Army's are stacked. We had much better recruiting than the Cadets but they play much better as a team than us.Coaching was the difference yesterday.

Desko's coaching abilities had peaked many years ago as the evidence is stacking up against him. Byrant was a very good start and it carries on.

Our previous classes vs. Army's are stacked. We had much better recruiting than the Cadets but they play much better as a team than us.Coaching was the difference yesterday.

Desko's coaching abilities had peaked many years ago as the evidence is stacking up against him. Byrant was a very good start and it carries on.
Duke's classes are pretty stacked compared to Air Force. They've lost to them in Durham the last 2 years. They've also lost in the 1st round of the last 2 tourneys. Has Danowski peaked?

Alberici? How many times has he beaten SU now? And he's a CNY guy.

Danowski peaked just before he ran out of all those 5th year seniors that the NCAA allowed him to have.

Danowski peaked just before he ran out of all those 5th year seniors that the NCAA allowed him to have.
Is my sarcasm detector broken? He's gone to 5 Final Fours & won 3 titles since the last of those players left.

X's and O's isn't the problem. It's the recruiting. Desko needs to reinvent himself like JB did when he got Troy Weaver. There is just no top shelf talent on the field.

If you have a bunch of ordinary players then you really need to function well as a team and I don't see it from this group or the past few seasons. They're not disciplined and don't make good decisions which is on the coach, but he allows his players freedom to create. He's very Boeheim-esque in that regard. Unfortunately that style of wide open iso type offense doesn't work well this group.

Personally I love a wide open run and gun game - Dino Babers on lax - so I'm a bit torn on Desko because I don't ever want to see a methodical style at Syracuse. Desko runs the style that I like. The game was meant to run and gun and get lots and lots of shots. I love aggressive defense but I don't want to rely on defense to win lacrosse games. If you do it means your offense stinks.

Lars Tiffany is a Lafayette guy and a guy who you could maybe sway to Syracuse in a couple of years. Chemotti at Richmond could be ready in a few more years; he's a Mike Messere and Mike Pressler disciple which is an interesting lax mix. Andy Shay could make the jump but I'm not a big fan of Yale's style even though Shay's a friend of mine.

I think Chemotti is a guy I could get behind if he keeps his current trajectory.

If Desko has a lifetime contract than he has to recruit better. If that means getting younger on the staff then that's what has to happen.

Last edited:
Good post Phat, the major problem with recruiting is that Desko does not hit the tournaments and if he does it's maybe 1-2. He still relies on the Syracuse name. Lacrosse has evolved and unfortunately his recruiting style hasn't. It would be good to have a younger assistant coach on the staff who is more in tune with the kids. Why isn't there a grad assistant on staff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom