Jerome Smith Granted Retroactive Medical Redshirt | Syracusefan.com

Jerome Smith Granted Retroactive Medical Redshirt

I love Jerome and the energy he plays such a punishing position with, but if he can get drafted in the NFL or even play in the NFL after this year I doubt he will stay two more years. If he wanted to stay I think all SU fans would take it, but we were lucky IMO he didn't declare this past year and I think this year barring injury will be last at SU.

So, Smith really surprised me last year and was far more productive than I ever thought he'd be.

That said... depending on how this plays out, it might create a problem. I really think Morris and MacFarlane are going to be dynamic. Some are saying Morris is our best back right now. Smith works well in a tandem already though, we know that. If he's not the best guy though, how does that go over?

I'm not used to the idea that we could have too much talent somewhere.

Nice position to be in, don't ya think?

So, Smith really surprised me last year and was far more productive than I ever thought he'd be.

That said... depending on how this plays out, it might create a problem. I really think Morris and MacFarlane are going to be dynamic. Some are saying Morris is our best back right now. Smith works well in a tandem already though, we know that. If he's not the best guy though, how does that go over?

it's never comfortable but these things work usually work themself out. lsu (extreme example) were wondering how they'd keep playing 4-5 different rbs. now, between injuries, suspensions, etc they're down to 2 plus whatever the freshmen can do. imagine it'll net out the same way here.

it's never comfortable but these things work usually work themself out. lsu (extreme example) were wondering how they'd keep playing 4-5 different rbs. now, between injuries, suspensions, etc they're down to 2 plus whatever the freshmen can do. imagine it'll net out the same way here.
Agreed. I don't feel super good about it working itself out either, you know?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

RB was seemingly deemphasized in the NFL draft (none drafted in the first round this year). Would Smith leave early if he was a 3-5 round pick? His lack of speed for the position already takes him out of the top end of the draft. Having RB's, on whole, drafted later just pushes him further down in the draft.

Jerome reminds me a lot of Ben Jarvis Green Ellis. Just a good, tough, productive back. The Law Firm is a better receiver out of the backfield though. Jerome really needs to work on this, especially for hopes of a NFL career.

Jerome reminds me a lot of Ben Jarvis Green Ellis. Just a good, tough, productive back. The Law Firm is a better receiver out of the backfield though. Jerome really needs to work on this, especially for hopes of a NFL career.
green-ellis was first team all-sec. love jerome but i don't know that it's the same level. on the other side, if a guy like jawan jamison is a 7th rounder, i feel like jerome could grade out better than that. 5th or 6th round?

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/5...active-medical-redshirt-syracuse-running-back
He has two years of eligibility left. The question is if he has a bangup season next year, would he hang around another year or make the jump to the NFL?
Jerome's a good back no doubt. But the kind of back that leaves early for the NFL draft? Nah. This isn't the NBA draft we're talking about. Is he better than James Mungro, Delone Carter or Curtis Brinkley? He may be on the same level as them and they are/were borderline NFL players. Is Morris better now? Maybe, who knows, we'll see. That question kind of reminds me of some previous situations. Mungro didn't start until his senior year (Dee Brown), Carter shared time with Brinkley, Michael Owens sat behind Drummond, Damien Rhodes was behind Walter Reyes, Art Monk was moved to WR for Joe Morris (maybe the smartest decision any SU coach ever made), Terry Richardson/David Walker and even Jerome split with PTG last year. Jerome is Robert Drummond/David Walker. And just to remind you...Carter, Mungro, Brown and Rhodes are 3,4,5 & 6 on SU's all-time rushing list. Bottom line, there will be carries to go around over the next few years and I would expect Smith to stay until he is out of eligiblity. I like him a lot. But he's not better imo than Carter, Mungro or Brinkley. And if not for injury PTG might be the #1 back. Thank goodness we we have both of them next year and also have 2 excellent RS freshman chomping at the bit. How about Morris &/or Macfarlane on KR's? I seem to remember another Morris we had that wasn't too bad at them.

Send-it-Home Jerome is going to kill it this season. I see him challenging for All ACC honors. Just a bruising, bruising player.

Jerome's a good back no doubt. But the kind of back that leaves early for the NFL draft? Nah. This isn't the NBA draft we're talking about. Is he better than James Mungro, Delone Carter or Curtis Brinkley? He may be on the same level as them and they are/were borderline NFL players. Is Morris better now? Maybe, who knows, we'll see. That question kind of reminds me of some previous situations. Mungro didn't start until his senior year (Dee Brown), Carter shared time with Brinkley, Michael Owens sat behind Drummond, Damien Rhodes was behind Walter Reyes, Art Monk was moved to WR for Joe Morris (maybe the smartest decision any SU coach ever made), Terry Richardson/David Walker and even Jerome split with PTG last year. Jerome is Robert Drummond/David Walker. And just to remind you...Carter, Mungro, Brown and Rhodes are 3,4,5 & 6 on SU's all-time rushing list. Bottom line, there will be carries to go around over the next few years and I would expect Smith to stay until he is out of eligiblity. I like him a lot. But he's not better imo than Carter, Mungro or Brinkley. And if not for injury PTG might be the #1 back. Thank goodness we we have both of them next year and also have 2 excellent RS freshman chomping at the bit. How about Morris &/or Macfarlane on KR's? I seem to remember another Morris we had that wasn't too bad at them.

he is a lot bigger then those guys, and has reportedly dropped his 40 time a decent amount. if he runs a good 40 time at the combine with his size he would be one of the first few backs taken.

green-ellis was first team all-sec. love jerome but i don't know that it's the same level. on the other side, if a guy like jawan jamison is a 7th rounder, i feel like jerome could grade out better than that. 5th or 6th round?

And benjarvus was undrafted. I think Jerome could be on the same level. Maybe this year we see the return of the full house backfield.

Great question. I mean, if he puts up another 1000 yard season, I'd expect that he'd garner NFL interest. And if he stays two more years, then he's going to have a great shot to make a dent on the all time rushing list. :noidea:

I don't view him splitting time with PTG as an indictment of his skill--we've platooned backs forever. I think PTG was just that good.

Its a great situation to have, regardless of whether Smith eventually is an NFL prospect or not--he's a great collegiate RB.

You've got to wonder about the wear and tear of another year though. If he has a big year this year, his stock may be as high as its going to get. And an NFL rbs career is so short lived anyway. Might be better to jump in.

You've got to wonder about the wear and tear of another year though. If he has a big year this year, his stock may be as high as its going to get. And an NFL rbs career is so short lived anyway. Might be better to jump in.

Yeah, I think as soon as you have the chance as an RB you just go in. Keep the miles on your legs low, and it's not like running backs get drafted in great spots anymore.

Smith is a good college RB, but is a dime a dozen NFL prospect. He doesn't have much speed and isn't a huge RB to overcome lack of speed/quickness.

he is a lot bigger then those guys, and has reportedly dropped his 40 time a decent amount. if he runs a good 40 time at the combine with his size he would be one of the first few backs taken.

I hope that is true but until I see it on the field I agree with CuseinCincy. Jerome is an excellent running back but he seems similar to right now to be similar to Carter, Reyes, Mungro, etc...all excellent running backs for us but all were/are borderline NFL players.

This is a good problem to have at least three running backs that look like starters on many teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom