Class of 2017 - JERRY MEYER’S 247SPORTS CRYSTAL BALL PREDICTIONS | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JERRY MEYER’S 247SPORTS CRYSTAL BALL PREDICTIONS

JarHeadJim

I have never won sheet!
If anyone cares.

• Mohamed Bamba (Duke)
  • Hamidou Diallo (Kentucky)
  • Quade Green (Syracuse)
  • Kevin Knox (Duke)
  • John Petty (Kentucky)
  • Nick Richards (Kentucky)
  • Jarred Vanderbilt (Kentucky)
  • PJ Washington (Kentucky)
  • Lonnie Walker (Arizona)
  • Trae Young (Kentucky)

I'm concerned about our options for the 2 and 3, especially since those are the positions we typically rely on to do a lot of scoring. Shooting is probably the most important skill in basketball in this era and it doesn't appear we are in good position with any players at those positions.

If anyone cares.

• Mohamed Bamba (Duke)
  • Quade Green (Syracuse)
  • Kevin Knox (Duke)
  • John Petty (Kentucky)
  • Trae Young (Kentucky)

How is it that UK can recruit multiple guys for the same position, and that's ok by them?
We seemingly can't even get one guy per open position this year.

I guess it's because of how well UK gets guys into the Association.

Which makes sense, I mean, if you have 5-6 NBA-quality recruits every year, you're doing a pretty good job preparing them, when you get 2-3 of them into the league.
:p

How is it that UK can recruit multiple guys for the same position, and that's ok by them?
We seemingly can't even get one guy per open position this year.

I guess it's because of how well UK gets guys into the Association.

Which makes sense, I mean, if you have 5-6 NBA-quality recruits every year, you're doing a pretty good job preparing them, when you get 2-3 of them into the league.
:p
Definitely not how well they get them into the league as much as it is how well they hand out bags of cold hard cash in unmarked, non-sequential bills.

Remember, Dean Francis calls this the Crystal Meth Ball for a reason guys. Do not get spun up about this list, it means nothing. Sure maybe UK will get the #1 and #2 ranked player at each position. But really? Probably not.

The truth probably falls somewhere in between.
Very true, and that's the problem. All his angles seem to go the way of UK first and foremost, and then Duke. Which I expect from him. My problem is he will go against the grain and predict Kentucky when his other "experts" are picking the opposite. He also flip flops the day before when a player is about to commit. How about sticking with your prediction? It defeats the purpose of his all knowing crystal ball.

If anyone cares.

• Mohamed Bamba (Duke)
  • Quade Green (Syracuse)
  • Kevin Knox (Duke)
  • John Petty (Kentucky)
  • Trae Young (Kentucky)
I think he is going to be dead on. Arizona definitely thinks Walker is theirs. If we are going to pull a surprise here, it will probably be with him.

I think he is going to be dead on. Arizona definitely thinks Walker is theirs. If we are going to pull a surprise here, it will probably be with him.
They thought that because he cancelled his Kentucky visit. Now that visit is back on and this appears to be wide open.

If anyone cares.

• Mohamed Bamba (Duke)
  • Quade Green (Syracuse)
  • Kevin Knox (Duke)
  • John Petty (Kentucky)
  • Trae Young (Kentucky)
Wow, UK. I gotta say I'm a bit discouraged we don't have more big timers looking at us. We will have almost as much PT as UK has when they clean house every year. I get we aren't them or Duke/Kansas for that matter, but where we are trending, is a big step below those guys, and yet we want to compete and beat them.

Wow, UK. I gotta say I'm a bit discouraged we don't have more big timers looking at us. We will have almost as much PT as UK has when they clean house every year. I get we aren't them or Duke/Kansas for that matter, but where we are trending, is a big step below those guys, and yet we want to compete and beat them.
If we only land Green then it puts major doubt in my mind that gmac can or should be the lead recruiter going forward.

If we only land Green then it puts major doubt in my mind that gmac can or should be the lead recruiter going forward.

Why? We are trying to elevate our recruiting this year. How many times has JB or JB/Hop had classes that included multiple top 25 guys? Our expectations for this class are sky high for no reason other than we have made offers and we have scholarships available. We act like we could have had classes with multiple top 25 guys in it with regularity in the past if only JB had chosen to pursue them. I don't believe that. Have we passed on some guys? Sure, but I am not a big believer that we carry the same recruiting weight as UK, Duke and Kansas. Those guys pull those types of classes most years. Can we compete with them for indivdiual recruits and occasionally for a top class, maybe? Should we expect to beat them head to head with frequency. I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.

I think the result may be more of an indictment of the change in strategy than the recruiter(s) trying to implement it. And, truth be told, I don't know that you can judge either based on one recruiting class.

Why? We are trying to elevate our recruiting this year. ...
Is this something that's known for sure as a change in strategy or just implied based on who we were recruiting? Seems to me that it's just that the bulk of the studs in this class were from traditional SU recruiting grounds rather than elsewhere. Other than a brief dip into GA, SU still isn't recruiting nationally. UK and Duke go after whomever regardless of where they live.

Why? We are trying to elevate our recruiting this year. How many times has JB or JB/Hop had classes that included multiple top 25 guys? Our expectations for this class are sky high for no reason other than we have made offers and we have scholarships available. We act like we could have had classes with multiple top 25 guys in it with regularity in the past if only JB had chosen to pursue them. I don't believe that. Have we passed on some guys? Sure, but I am not a big believer that we carry the same recruiting weight as UK, Duke and Kansas. Those guys pull those types of classes most years. Can we compete with them for indivdiual recruits and occasionally for a top class, maybe? Should we expect to beat them head to head with frequency. I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.

I think the result may be more of an indictment of the change in strategy than the recruiter(s) trying to implement it. And, truth be told, I don't know that you can judge either based on one recruiting class.

I think the result IS simply more of an indictment of the rinse, wash, repeat cycle when it comes to SU going up against the true blue bloods...routinely coming up the bridesmaid. :(

I hear ya...I've just watched this particular movie way too many times for my liking.

Let's see how things shake out, but it seems like we've targeted a group of elite kids who have their sights set on only the most ELITE schools.