Jerry Reese on Ryan | Syracusefan.com

Jerry Reese on Ryan

mountaincuse

All American
Stole this from a Giants message board:

MEDIA Q&A WITH GENERAL MANAGER JERRY REESE: (Video) (Video -NFL Network Interview)

Reese: (Ryan) Nassib, the highest player on our board, so we talked about it early this morning that if he was still there, there was no way we were going to pass him up again because he has too much value. We’ve been thinking about developing a quarterback behind Eli (Manning) for a while now and we think this is a perfect opportunity for us to get a young quarterback with a lot of talent – very smart, high test score, very productive, and again the value was too high for us to move on from. When (USC Quarterback Matt) Barkley went, we were like, ‘Wow, this guy is not going to be there’ and so we thought it was in our best interest to move up a few spots if we could and we made several calls and finally got somebody who wanted to make the trade and we did it.

Q: It’s interesting that you pick a guy who is highly rated, but I assume you hope he doesn’t ever really play for you?

A: Yeah, if he doesn’t ever play, that would be great. That’s a good problem to have. If he needs to play, we’re hoping that whatever time that is that he’ll be up and ready to go if it ever happens that way. With respect to how many quarterbacks we’ll keep on the roster, we don’t know. We used to keep three quarterbacks all the time and I think we went to two for the last several years and usually have a guy on the practice squad. We could very well keep three quarterbacks, so we’ll make that decision when it’s time. Right now we have four quarterbacks on the roster.

Q: Does he have special teams value?

A: No, he’s just a quarterback. I don’t think it’s in our best interest to play him on special teams.

Q: You said that you have been trying to develop a young quarterback for years and you actively moved up to get this guy…

A: Well, the value was there. He was just too much value. To be honest, we thought the kid would probably get picked in the second round over there and we over here in the fourth round and he’s still on the board so it just makes sense for us to take the value.

Q: Did you talk to him?

A: (Head) Coach (Tom) Coughlin talked to him.

Q: I imagine it was an unusual conversation?

A: Again, you can never be surprised during the draft. Anything can happen and they can happen quickly, so he may be a little bit surprised but I think he’s very excited about coming over here.

Q: What grade did you have on him?

A: I can’t tell you that. We had a good grade on him.

Q: Why do you think he dropped?

A: I’m not sure. You never know why guys drop but we think he has the skill set to be a starter at some point in the league. We think he could be a terrific backup but we’ll see where it goes.

Q: Do you expect to take four quarterbacks to training camp?

A: We’re not sure yet, we’ll see. We’ll see how the spring goes. We’re not sure we’ll take four quarterbacks to camp. I can’t answer that right now.

Q: Would you have traded up to get USC quarterback Matt Barkley if he was available?

A: We didn’t have Barkley rated as high.

Q: What is it that you like about his game?

A: He’s got the arm strength. We like the accuracy about him. We like that “it” factor on him. When I first watched him he reminded me of the quarterback at Cincinnati (Andy Dalton) that played at TCU. He reminded me of Dalton in some ways when I first saw him, but our scouts liked him. Our coaches like him. Our quarterbacks coach (Sean Ryan) likes him. Too much value, we pick the highest guy on the board. He’s the highest guy on the board, we picked him.

Q: Was he your highest rated quarterback?

A: He was not.

Q: How do you determine when the right time is to develop a quarterback?

A: Well, you never know. Again, you always think about we have Eli in the prime of his career and you actually hope this quarterback never plays. Again, what if something happens? We want to have a guy ready to go and this guy fits the pattern that we need.

Q: Do you think he can challenge David Carr for the backup job?

A: Well, it’ll be some competition, there that’s for sure. We like competition at every position.

Q: It’s a different dynamic now in the QB room with a younger guy there…

A: Yeah, well I don’t think that’s a big deal one way or the other but it’ll be competition for that number two spot, that’s for sure.

Q: With Eli and Carr over 30 years old, was there some desire to get younger at backup quarterback?

A: We’re just looking for a good player to be the backup quarterback and we’re fortunate enough to secure this young guy and we’ll see where it goes. Again, maybe he’ll never play here. We hope Eli plays for long, long time and maybe this young man will never play but if he has to play, we think he has a good skill set to help us win football games.

Stole this from a Giants message board:

A: We’re just looking for a good player to be the backup quarterback and we’re fortunate enough to secure this young guy and we’ll see where it goes.

Haha.. Must suck to be David Carr knowing that the organization doesn't think you're good enough to sit on the bench. (is that his name? Can't remember exactly)

Ryan won't see a single on field snap for the Gints. This interview sounds like they saw trade value in Ryan. Thats it.

Ryan won't see a single on field snap for the Gints. This interview sounds like they saw trade value in Ryan. Thats it.

That's fine. The kid will get paid, will get great experience with an awesome organization, and if he's lucky he can be parlayed into a Matt Flynn-type opportunity when he's ready.

No it doesn't. They pay David Carr a pretty penny to back up Eli and to be another thinker on the sideline. If they can get the same out of Nassib and save money for other needs (See Cruz and Nicks) then so be it. Carr pocketed some nice cash and never got himself hurt, thats a dream in a lot of ways.

The interview tells me two things:
  1. The Giants had Manuel/Glennon/Smith rated higher than Ryan, or some combination give or take one or two. Obviously, the Bills got it wrong. :rolleyes:
  2. They didn't have Barkley rated as high as Ryan. Yet, Barkley was taken before Ryan. Wow! Teams don't rate individual players exactly the same way. Again, :rolleyes:

Tinterview tells me two fathomgs:
  1. The Giants hadhigherManuel/Glennon/SmithBarkleyhigher than Ryan, or some combination give or take one or two. Obviously, the Bills got it wrong. :rolleyes:
  2. They didn't have Barkley rated as high as Ryan. Yet, Barkley was taken before Ryan. Wow! Teams don't rate individual players exactly the same way. Again, :rolleyes:

Wow, did you touch the Dalai Lama's robe during his visit?:)
How do you fathom Manuel or Glennon into that interview?
I read it as Reese had Ryan as a solid 2nd pick ahead of Barkley, and maybe Geno as the only higher rated QB(ie 1st round material)...

Wow, did you touch the Dalai Lama's robe during his visit?:)
How do you fathom Manuel or Glennon into that interview?
I read it as Reese had Ryan as a solid 2nd pick ahead of Barkley, and maybe Geno as the only higher rated QB(ie 1st round materal)...
Read it again. Nowhere did Reese say Ryan was a solid 2nd pick ahead of Barkley. All he said was that the Giants didn't have Barkley rated as highly. Just my interpretation. But since Reese said, Q: Was he your highest rated quarterback? A: He was not, one of the QB's I mentioned was rated higher by the Giants. And that was not Barkley.

Read it again. Nowhere did Reese say Ryan was a solid 2nd pick ahead of Barkley. All he said was that the Giants didn't have Barkley rated as highly. Just my interpretation. But since Reese said, Q: Was he your highest rated quarterback? A: He was not, one of the QB's I mentioned was rated higher by the Giants. And that was not Barkley.
I read it... Reese says " To be honest, we thought he would go in the second round..."
And Ryan not being their highest rated QB probably means they had Geno rated ahead of him, like most everyone else...

I read it... Reese says " To be honest, we thought he would go in the second round..."
And Ryan not being their highest rated QB probably means they had Geno rated ahead of him, like most everyone else...

I mean, really?

I can't even believe that you had to explain yourself with this post. Unreal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom