JES..SIE. ED...WARDS. JES...SIE. ED.WARDS | Syracusefan.com

JES..SIE. ED...WARDS. JES...SIE. ED.WARDS

The other players better get used to finding him on the roll he could have had 30.
Other teams are going to have to bring help to stop him and it is going to open up the inside scoring in a big way. Then the 3 point shooters are going to get a lot of open looks. This team is going to score points by the bushel load.

So many great plays from Jessie last night. My favorite play though was when he sprinted down the court and caught the alley oop from Joe. He can really run, outran whole Arizona State team. Good hands now too. Really good excited to watch him this year.

Two things stood out to me: one is that he keeps the ball high better than anyone I’ve seen. You always see big guys bring the ball low to gather for a move or a jump. He has become expert and not doing that and still being able to generate a high jump or quick move. Second, there was a play last night where two guys were swiping and hammering at the ball when he was going up under the basket. Last year he would have lost that ball. He not only held on but scores and and-1. Just amazing improvement.

The fans were great! Orange nation deserves their rep as the best in the country.

Jesse's confidence level rose noticably through the game and he was a real force. There is a real dropoff from a confident Jesse, a non-foul trouble Jesse, and Frank although Frank is developing too.

Kudos to the staff and Jesse on his improvement. I can remember some of the comments, myself included, on his play during the trip to Italy. He definitely had some room for improvement to say the least. I've been critical at times of the development of our bigs, so I'll give the staff credit when one develops like Jesse

Two things stood out to me: one is that he keeps the ball high better than anyone I’ve seen. You always see big guys bring the ball low to gather for a move or a jump. He has become expert and not doing that and still being able to generate a high jump or quick move. Second, there was a play last night where two guys were swiping and hammering at the ball when he was going up under the basket. Last year he would have lost that ball. He not only held on but scores and and-1. Just amazing improvement.

THIS. ^^^^

He’s awesome at maximizing his length (that’s what she said) by always keeping the ball high.

An excellent habit he now seems to have ingrained in his game.

And that finish where he did a scoop shot layup out wide, was incredible!!
Initially I thought it was a circus shot he got lucky to hit, but upon review it was just a really skilled layup by him, thru contact.

We knew he’d be a defensive difference-maker in the zone, and he is.

But his offense has improved exponentially since last year, which makes him such a weapon in our offense, and means we don’t have to 100% rely on outside shooting, which can run hot and cold.

Great game. We need it again today. Hopefully he can outplay Kessler.

Even if he ‘just’ plays him to a stalemate, that’s a huge win for us.

We’re going to need positive minutes and contributions from Benny, Sy, and Frankie,
or else we’re gonna get run outta the gym in the 2nd half when fatigue sets in.

I’m in favor of going inside to him often, and then kicking it out if teams collapse. We need to get the ball into the paint one way or another.
If he positions out from the basket far enough so that guys driving in can loft it over his defender and he can turn and dunk it, it will force teams to commit a guy to slide in back of him to help, then there are guys open all over the floor.

He really is so different that most centers we recruit. Catches the ball well, has good body control around the hoop and a natural feel for what to do when he gets the ball, keeps the ball up high when he receives a pass or gets a rebound, etc.

Glad to see that the rebounding and shot blocking are also there -- expected that he would be all-finesse when he first arrived, and that is clearly not the case.

Last edited:
Jesse should be tested this afternoon against Auburn's bigs.
Smith and Kessler are a tough duo.
Let's hope Kessler's long range shooting is off, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom