Jesse and chronic early foul trouble | Syracusefan.com

Jesse and chronic early foul trouble

M

Manleymen

One of the first tenets most of us were taught when learning basketball is to keep your arms straight up when contesting a shot. Many of the fouls are when the shooter bodies up to him and initiates the contact. I cannot get my head around why Jesse is constantly getting into early foul trouble. But it is getting extremely old. As tall and lengthy he is - he should not even leave his feet until the shooter leaves his to shoot the ball. Just his presence with arms straight up causes a lot of intimidation. JB said at the St. John's press conference when asked about it and said (sarcastically) it's "coaching." If you were the head coach of SU - or assistant in charge of the Bigs - I'd like to know how YOU would prevent Jesse's foul trouble and keep him on the court. Whatever they are teaching him is not working. Jesse should rarely if EVER have foul trouble. Is it not correctable?

Jesse was able to play for a long time with four fouls against St. Johns.

He should not have to play too cautiously with Hima as a backup. Hima brings better size and shot blocking, though we need Jesse's O, particularly if Mintz and/or Joe have gone cold.

Yeah, I don't get how he hasn't figures out how to reach straight up. His arms are often angled down from vertical 30 degrees or more. The fouls may be ticky tack but they're fouls and they're on him.

Yeah, I don't get how he hasn't figures out how to reach straight up. His arms are often angled down from vertical 30 degrees or more. The fouls may be ticky tack but they're fouls and they're on him.
Strength and experience/game awareness were the primary factors for the fouling early in his career. Now, it's more about discipline and fundamentals. He has a tendency to inch into players as he "closes out" with his arms/hands moving or, even worse, reaching in. Despite the angst here about the refs, what Jesse does could be called even more often.

He needs to be much more disciplined about quickly establishing position and staying vertical prior to the block attempt.

Every center at SU in the last 10-12 years has been a victim of soft fouls calls because they’re always reacting to the ball and not positioning themselves proactively. It’s difficult to avoid reaching & swatting at the offensive player.

Every center at SU in the last 10-12 years has been a victim of soft fouls calls because they’re always reacting to the ball and not positioning themselves proactively. It’s difficult to avoid reaching & swatting at the offensive player.
I don't know about every Center, but the lack of discipline and fundamentals overall has been glaring, IMO. The same goes for getting position and boxing out. JB's HOF career, despite the apparent lack of fundamentals, speaks volumes about his genius. He is not the same coach now, but he was great for SU basketball.

Jesse has a tendency to put his arms up but sticks his chest into the shooter. He always looks like he’s going to topple into the shooter.

When did Bernie leave?

The fourth foul was BS. The St. John’s player handed him the ball.
Worst call of the game. Reminded me of the one or two hundred blocking calls against Craig Forth when he was standing there with his arms straight up while some guy charges into him.

Jesse has a tendency to put his arms up but sticks his chest into the shooter. He always looks like he’s going to topple into the shooter.
Everyone seems to agree that this is about fundamentals and thus coaching. Who on the SU staff is responsible for training the BIGS? JB himself is doing a disservice to Jesse and the team to not correct an easily correctible situation that occurs play after play, game after game. If we can all see it - why can't he? I can't think of another player in the NCAA who gets in foul trouble committing the same fouls in the same manner.

There is no position in sports more set up to fail than the center position in the SU zone. Too many responsibilities and you have to be 3 places at once. You’re going to get called for fouls just being in the area

When a normal center is only going to draw a foul when the offensive player has the ball, our centers are playing defense against potentially 5 other guys, it’s a given with this defense that our centers are going to pick up more fouls.

We need a big man to teach the big men.

Obviously I think the choice should be Bully Celuck.
No.
People love to complain how underserved Jesse is by having a former guard coach him. Is this the same coach that helped him grow from a nobody to a borderline all ACC player?

The unintentional Bully is a nice touch, cause one thing he could do is play Bully ball

1669405177055.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom