Jesse Edwards Joins Dutch National Team for Eurobasket | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards Joins Dutch National Team for Eurobasket

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Syracuse senior center Jesse Edwards will join the Dutch National Team this week and participate in international competition which includes World Cup qualifying and Eurobasket.

Edwards averaged 12.0 points and 6.5 rebounds per game for the Orange last winter. He started the first 24 contests for the Orange before suffering an injury that ended his season. He posted double-digit scoring in 16 of the 24 outings and had two double-doubles during the campaign. His 67 blocked shots ranked second in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).

A native of Amsterdam, Netherlands, Edwards has trained and played with the Dutch National Team over the past two summers. The Netherlands is scheduled to play an exhibition game against Lithuania before matchups with Georgia and Spain for World Cup qualification. At Eurobasket, the Dutch are in a group which includes Serbia, Israel, Czech Republic, Poland and Finland.

The Dutch squad also includes collegiate players Quinten Post (Boston College), a senior forward, and Bradley teammates Rienk Mast, a junior forward, and senior forward Malevy Leons.

can’t believe he’s going to miss valuable bonding time with his teammates, especially the new guys….

I know you’re being sarcastic. Summer workouts are over. Most are probably going home. We know JT did.

2 pts, 2 reb, 1 stl, 5 pfs in 11 mins against Lithuania on Friday.

2 pts, 2 reb, 1 stl, 5 pfs in 11 mins against Lithuania on Friday.

Likely playing against the best talent he’s seen in Domantas Sabonis and Jonas Valanciunas, but hopefully he gets good burn and finds a rhythm in the next games.

Likely playing against the best talent he’s seen in Domantas Sabonis and Jonas Valanciunas, but hopefully he gets good burn and finds a rhythm in the next games.

Yeah that's two grown men pros who are also super technically sound. That Lithuania team is 8th in the world as well ranking wise last I saw to the Dutch at 47.

Looking at group play starting next week, we’ll have the potential to see Jesse match up against:

Jokic, Marjanovic on 9/2
Vesely on 9/5
Markkanen on 9/8

And a few other bigs playing in top euro leagues.

This will either be incredible experience and a spring board for his college season or completely destroy his confidence lol

I can't see it destroying his confidence. Kid has battled hard and is very bright. He knows just how good this competition is. Mind you he is doing so with having missed multiple games and in recovery as well.

Forget whether he puts numbers up or not. Great experience for him.
This is 100% right on. The experience and competition he will practice against and play against is fantastic. The quality and level of play is much better than any he would find practicing with the team this summer.

Anyone know when he plays again? Only thing I found is they have some games in September.

Anyone know when he plays again? Only thing I found is they have some games in September.

Nevermind. Looks like they play tomorrow.