JG3 podcast interview | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JG3 podcast interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why you guys arguing about Buddy in a Joe thread? Take the meat of this argument to the Buddy thread. Let's focus on Joe's game here...

I still think his size (lack of), inability to penetrate, and problems when faced with tough defenders will be a problem all year, regardless of his conditioning next season.

Okay, got it, you disagree, fine. Just my opinion. This is a discussion board.

Come on, do we really have to do this? That was the last few games of last year, my friend. Let's see how this year unfolds. I swear, this board over/under reacts to just about everything.

No not really it was just a complete hot take on your end and responded to adequately. There was far more to it than just the points he scored. It was how he did so, the defenses he played against and the attention he was getting by other teams and still performing. What he did is repeatable and something that can be improved upon because he wasn't out there making Tyus Battle like shots.

Anyways disagreement is noted it's JG 3 thread

No not really it was just a complete hot take on your end and responded to adequately. There was far more to it than just the points he scored. It was how he did so, the defenses he played against and the attention he was getting by other teams and still performing. What he did is repeatable and something that can be improved upon because he wasn't out there making Tyus Battle like shots.
We will see and I hope you're right. I just don't see it that way. I guess this another "hot take". Whatever.

Why you guys arguing about Buddy in a Joe thread? Take the meat of this argument to the Buddy thread. Let's focus on Joe's game here...

I still think his size (lack of), inability to penetrate, and problems when faced with tough defenders will be a problem all year, regardless of his conditioning next season.

I think he can occasionally beat his man when healthy but is better suited to push the ball play matchups when he can and also be more off the ball in the half court. To me that is the biggest issue and why the Kadary vs Joe argument stands out because when you slow things down, he is at a disadvantage given his limitations especially against better defenders.

He has to keep moving and be active. He is capable of it. He also is a pretty good passer as he showed at times as a freshman. All of it though comes down to him not being on the ball for more than 5-8 seconds in the half court. We have to play through other guys and use the advantages of guys like Buddy/Cole playing together, having a true center etc vs relying on Joe to be a dribble until 10 seconds on the shot clock guy. He is not built to do that.

I was watching some older GMac games again and he does a lot of what I was pointing out. He pushed the ball early and often he gets into the lane when he can beat his man, off a good screen or simply shot it off a screen. He did have a strong crossover that Joe doesn't have but ultimately Joe needs to be Gerry lite in terms of taking less shots but being a psuedo PG.

Against pressure we will need Symir so I hope he is up to the task.

I think he can occasionally beat his man when healthy but is better suited to push the ball play matchups when he can and also be more off the ball in the half court. To me that is the biggest issue and why the Kadary vs Joe argument stands out because when you slow things down, he is at a disadvantage given his limitations especially against better defenders.

He has to keep moving and be active. He is capable of it. He also is a pretty good passer as he showed at times as a freshman. All of it though comes down to him not being on the ball for more than 5-8 seconds in the half court. We have to play through other guys and use the advantages of guys like Buddy/Cole playing together, having a true center etc vs relying on Joe to be a dribble until 10 seconds on the shot clock guy. He is not built to do that.

I was watching some older GMac games again and he does a lot of what I was pointing out. He pushed the ball early and often he gets into the lane when he can beat his man, off a good screen or simply shot it off a screen. He did have a strong crossover that Joe doesn't have but ultimately Joe needs to be Gerry lite in terms of taking less shots but being a psuedo PG.

Against pressure we will need Symir so I hope he is up to the task.

THIS. We ideally don't want or need Joe to be the primary ball handler the majority of the time.

As a secondary playmaker - hell yes! He's fine in that role.

As Joe said himself in his recent podcast, this is literally the first year of his adult life that he's been able to focus 100% on basketball.
In HS, he had to work on both football and hoops.
He came in late due to his HS graduation being late in June, so he missed the first summer session that year.
Last year got blown up due to Covid.

He's been on campus for both summer sessions, working with his teammates, etc.
I expect a better version of him this year, than we've seen before.

THIS. We ideally don't want or need Joe to be the primary ball handler the majority of the time.

As a secondary playmaker - hell yes! He's fine in that role.

As Joe said himself in his recent podcast, this is literally the first year of his adult life that he's been able to focus 100% on basketball.
In HS, he had to work on both football and hoops.
He came in late due to his HS graduation being late in June, so he missed the first summer session that year.
Last year got blown up due to Covid.

He's been on campus for both summer sessions, working with his teammates, etc.
I expect a better version of him this year, than we've seen before.

Right. I'm playing the over for Joe this year given CoVid , lack of fans and the signs for optimism his first year where he unexpectedly stepped up in place of a scary looking alternative at the point.

It has to play out no matter what and hopefully the faith turns out to be correct.

We will see and I hope you're right. I just don't see it that way. I guess this another "hot take". Whatever.

Ok well if Buddy stinks up the joint you called it. And also blame the cereal.

Right. I'm playing the over for Joe this year given CoVid , lack of fans and the signs for optimism his first year where he unexpectedly stepped up in place of a scary looking alternative at the point.

It has to play out no matter what and hopefully the faith turns out to be correct.
I feel your heart is in the right place here, but until I see Joe pass up those idiotic 30 footers he's become way too known for, and that a raucous crowd might actually inspire him to take, I'm taking the under for Joe. He's not going to grow, he's going to continue to gamble too often on defense, and a ball handling duo of Joe and Buddy is not a recipe for success.

Ok well if Buddy stinks up the joint you called it. And also blame the cereal.
Right, because that was my point and prediction. Okay. By the way, cereal is overrated too (except for lucky charms).

I feel your heart is in the right place here, but until I see Joe pass up those idiotic 30 footers he's become way too known for, and that a raucous crowd might actually inspire him to take, I'm taking the under for Joe. He's not going to grow, he's going to continue to gamble too often on defense, and a ball handling duo of Joe and Buddy is not a recipe for success.

I gotta take the over. The first half of this year has been the year from hell only getting worse it seems.

It's pretty clear in how things have shifted in recruiting that the staff isn't blind to what we need to have either. Im with you on the 30 footers. Put it this way I'm hoping Joe surprises us much like past players who drove us nuts. I mean if Chukwu can go for 10/17 vs Duke anything is possible right?

Jokes aside I will say I have somewhat of a soft spot for Joe because like Gerry- is an undersized kid who played at a lower level in HS who stayed there and put up big numbers. He is also a kid who many as they did with Gerry expected that once it got real vs Big East or ACC quality competition he couldn't hack it. Hell when we played GMac and beat him in HS there were 100 SU fans (NEPA has always been mostly SU hoops fans) yelling saying take that crap to D2...

So I do think he can do it. I could also be crazy.

Last edited:

30 footers, wild passes and passes into double teams drove us all nuts. Those are coachable issues if he'll listen. I hope he listens.

I think he'll improve.

*smile*

Joe needs to be able to handle pressure and if so he's serviceable. I'm not sure what is expected of him by the staff but I hope not too much. At best he runs the O going North and South, makes his open looks vs chucking, and doesn't hurt us too much on D. Joe is never going to take over a game like Buddy. I just hope he improves from last season and holds his own.

It's going to be funny to watch when there is a collective cheer as Quadir takes over the point and there are certain folks smiling more and then we get a commitment from a plucky sharpshooting 5-10 guard from middle of nowhere Ohio or PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom