Jim Boeheim on 1-and-done, grad transfers, paying players, more | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim on 1-and-done, grad transfers, paying players, more

There needs to be a distinction made in the discussion about player compensation that differentiates the schools paying players (bad for education) and the players being free to profit from their name and license (thorny, but wouldn't negatively affect institutions of higher learning).

There needs to be a distinction made in the discussion about player compensation that differentiates the schools paying players (bad for education) and the players being free to profit from their name and license (thorny, but wouldn't negatively affect institutions of higher learning).

Let's just give them a scholarship and then pay them whatever the scholarship is worth - 'Cuse would dominate! Sorry state schools!

I saw a quote the other day in which the guy said that in America we very frequently go for what sounds good over what we know works.

We already have a system that is difficult to manage.

Allowing players to "profit from their names and license" sounds fair, but it also sounds like it would be impossible to manage. It really is opening Pandora's Box. Who is to say what an athlete's name is worth or what is fair compensation for its use?

What's a college kid gonna do with $10,000 a month or $20,000 a month?

I saw a quote the other day in which the guy said that in America we very frequently go for what sounds good over what we know works.

We already have a system that is difficult to manage.

Allowing players to "profit from their names and license" sounds fair, but it also sounds like it would be impossible to manage. It really is opening Pandora's Box. Who is to say what an athlete's name is worth or what is fair compensation for its use?

What's a college kid gonna do with $10,000 a month or $20,000 a month?
Why are we worried about what the college kid does with that money?

Much of the reason put forth for paying bball players is that the NCAA tournament brings in so much money and the players should get some of it. However, most small Div. 1 schools in lesser conferences barely make enough money to support their athletic programs. They get peanuts from the split of tournament dollars. They have no means for paying players and would lose out in recruiting battles.

If players are to be paid, the NCAA tournament profit should be split evenly among all 300+ Division 1 schools and a set pay rate mandated for all players at all schools. To do otherwise would make it impossible for the smaller schools to recruit the talented players.

Why are we worried about what the college kid does with that money?
I don’t think that’s the worry. I think the issue is that allowing players to profit from their name opens up a lot of ways to abuse that. Why couldn’t a UK booster pay a player $100k to come to UK and do one autograph signing for an hour? How would smaller schools/fan bases compete with that?

Much of the reason put forth for paying bball players is that the NCAA tournament brings in so much money and the players should get some of it. However, most small Div. 1 schools in lesser conferences barely make enough money to support their athletic programs. They get peanuts from the split of tournament dollars. They have no means for paying players and would lose out in recruiting battles.

If players are to be paid, the NCAA tournament profit should be split evenly among all 300+ Division 1 schools and a set pay rate mandated for all players at all schools. To do otherwise would make it impossible for the smaller schools to recruit the talented players.

Revenue sharing is the fairest answer. And the pie is plenty plenty big to feed all the mouths, including non-revenue sports.

I don’t think that’s the worry. I think the issue is that allowing players to profit from their name opens up a lot of ways to abuse that. Why couldn’t a UK booster pay a player $100k to come to UK and do one autograph signing for an hour? How would smaller schools/fan bases compete with that?

How do smaller schools compete with Kentucky now?

they might do the same thing as all the other 18 year olds who make money in sports that no one worries about

I think that's valid.

But nobody cares about those other sports because they aren't revenue generators for colleges / universities. Football and basketball are big business; baseball and hockey and everything else are not. Therefore, the rules aim to curtail the malfeasance such as what ROCuse describes above, to preserve "amateur" athleticism and level the playing field in those sports.

The recent Adidas / FBI investigation just proves that only a very few institutions follow these rules, so there's that.

Another reason why we’ll eventually see something like a 4x16.

Cause Duke and UK aren’t doing that already....

Cause Duke and UK aren’t doing that already...

The kid gloves with which the NCAA handles Duke and their boosters' thinly veiled cheating has always pissed me off. We got the hammer dropped on us for the prospective use of "street agent" Rob Johnson or Bill Rapp handing out Xmas cards with 50 dollar bills in them -- but their alums can give recruits' parents six-figure jobs, houses, move them from wherever they are to NC, etc. Nothing to see there, since Coach K isn't involved -- right?

But some long wolf at the YMCA pays our players $100 for refereeing some rec league hoops games, and they go berserk citing lack of institutional control.

Last edited:
I view that as a positive outcome.

The kid gloves with which the NCAA handles Duke and their boosters' thinly veiled cheating has always pissed me off. We got the hammer dropped on us for the prospective use of "street agent" Rob Johnson -- but their alums can give recruits' parents six-figure jobs, houses, etc. Nothing to see there, since Coach K isn't involved -- right?

But the YMCA pays our players $100 for refereeing some rec league hoops games, and they go berzerk.

Yep. You answered the question why I hate them and will never root for them and why I couldn’t stand the infatuation with the media’s obsession over Zion.

I view that as a positive outcome.

Yep and then the NCAA can’t selectively enforce. We got Adam Weisman now. I’m sure he’d love to throw some of his cash around for us.:cool:

Again this is happening now and the NCAA looks the other way.
The NCAA is a sham, no doubt, but can’t these colleges do something to hold them accountable?

Or do we just say “screw it” and treat basketball and football recruitment like professional sports free agency?

You can say goodbye to Syracuse ever winning a championship in those two sports ever again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom