Jim Boeheim quote about his star freshman after loss: | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim quote about his star freshman after loss:

The discourse about Mintz's game vs Miami is silly. He was struggling, JB needed to sit him more to talk to him and calm him down. That didn't happen and he made crazy plays and was a contributor to losing the game. Not like this team is going anywhere this season so mistakes can be made.

The discourse about Mintz's game vs Miami is silly. He was struggling, JB needed to sit him more to talk to him and calm him down. That didn't happen and he made crazy plays and was a contributor to losing the game. Not like this team is going anywhere this season so mistakes can be made.
If I was on staff, I would print out and blow up a photo for him of every single instance he is missing open shooters each game. That's all he needs to work on IMO, maturity will take time. There has to be 4 or 5 times a game where about 8 players are in or near the paint while Judah has the ball, and JT or CB are standing 20 feet away with no one else between they and the scrum.

What was crazy was that the TV announcers were discussing whether Mintz was a one and done. Then he crapped the bed.

A lot of people are blaming JAB and maybe rightfully so, but, do we know what play they were supposed to run. I'm a firm believer you don't bench Mintz but he had to recognize what was working and what wasn't. Hopefully we move on and see Mintz identify better the opportunities in front of him. But this was one game where it didn't slow down for him.

If only there was another coach on the staff who had some of his own guard experience to share with Judah.

Melo's lowest scoring game is Mintz's average
Different roles on their teams. Of course, Melo is the best player most of us have seen, Bing was before I went to SU but since the Mid 70's. Not being as good a player as Melo was, is no indictment. Being mentioned positively in the same convo as Melo is a huge compliment.

Syracuse was 11-2 that year after that game vs #3 Pitt and coming off a win over #11 Missouri.

Other than that….I guess it’s similar
And the first loss was against a damn good team in our first game of the season with a freshman point guard and freshman star.

Even with that loss EVERYONE knew that team was going to be really good.

Different roles on their teams. Of course, Melo is the best player most of us have seen, Bing was before I went to SU but since the Mid 70's. Not being as good a player as Melo was, is no indictment. Being mentioned positively in the same convo as Melo is a huge compliment.
I don’t think anyone of note has ever or will ever mention Melo and Mintz in the same conversation.

Ha.

yeah, This whole narrative is a classic case of building a kid up just so he can be chopped back down.

He is a freshman. He is very good. He is still a freshman. Let the kid learn to be great.
That's an old school view. In today's game, freshmen who show real potential don't usually stick around for a second year for us to enjoy the growth. We fans have grown justifiably impatient, especially since Judah is probably making more $ than most of us on here.

If only there was another coach on the staff who had some of his own guard experience to share with Judah.
This is the first time Ive seen this mentioned. Three former point guards on the bench. Are they limited in what they can say to players during the game? It's been mentioned that assistants don't talk during timeouts, maybe it is more than that? Does JB want all communications to go through him? This is not a slam, just honestly don't know.

In today's game, freshmen who show real potential don't usually stick around for a second year for us any school.
Maybe UNC as the exception (with Armando Bacot and others), but they have a higher salary cap than most G-league teams.

Not sure I see the relevance of this. Are you comparing Judah Mintz and Carmelo Anthony??
Not at all. The point is people need to relax about Judah’s game vs Miami. Even Melo, arguably the greatest freshman in NCAA history, struggled in some games. The point is that bad games happen to even the best freshman.

I don’t think anyone of note has ever or will ever mention Melo and Mintz in the same conversation.
Boy, did you miss the point, or you are being obtuse. Either way, see my response to MDCuse.

This is the first time Ive seen this mentioned. Three former point guards on the bench. Are they limited in what they can say to players during the game? It's been mentioned that assistants don't talk during timeouts, maybe it is more than that? Does JB want all communications to go through him? This is not a slam, just honestly don't know.

Not at all. The assts talk to players before a timeout, after a timeout and on the bench.

Agreed. I think JBs special rules for certain players gets him and got him in trouble.

In that particular game, a Mintz playing at 50% effectiveness probably was not better than a Symir having a typical consistent game.

Not at all. The point is people need to relax about Judah’s game vs Miami. Even Melo, arguably the greatest freshman in NCAA history, struggled in some games. The point is that bad games happen to even the best freshman.
I get that point...and understand it.

My argument is unfortunately due to how the team is constructed we don't have time for a freshman at Judah's level to have bad games. We won't go to the tourney and he'll be leaving...we'll be stuck with memories of Judah like we are with Donte Green.

UNLESS he comes back next year, then the growing pains will for sure be worth it.

In Melo's case, we were going to the tourney. The troubles in the 1st Pitt game, helped us beat Pitt the 2nd time, which helped us his the 3rd seed in Albany, which helped us make the final four, etc.

What does living through Judah's growing pains get us if he doesnt come back? Hopefully a great ACC tourney run?

it is striking how JB is softer at the pressers on Judah than he is on some of the other freshmen most notably Bell. He also is more generous with the praise for Judah as well, for the most part for a good reason, but even when it isn’t necessarily evident. My guess is that he sees Judah as the next pro from the program and wants to stay in his good graces and is hoping he comes back for one more year.

I never had one concern or complaint about Melo that entire year. Doesn’t mean he played great every game, but cmon. He was on another level.

Mintz is good, but he’s “normal” good. Melo was otherworldly.

Conspiracy theory time-

In the past week or so, I have seen accusatory uses of the term "obtuse" thrown around here at least 3 times. I also noticed that The Shawshank Redemption has been playing on basic cable and streaming quite a bit lately.

Coincidence?

I think people all get that Freshman have bad games. But Melo and Mintz situations were night and day, both in context of the team and personally.
To be honest, I'm WAY less upset with Judah than I am with the man behind the curtain. His management (or mismanagement) of that second half was just absurdly bad.

I get that point...and understand it.

My argument is unfortunately due to how the team is constructed we don't have time for a freshman at Judah's level to have bad games. We won't go to the tourney and he'll be leaving...we'll be stuck with memories of Judah like we are with Donte Green.

UNLESS he comes back next year, then the growing pains will for sure be worth it.

In Melo's case, we were going to the tourney. The troubles in the 1st Pitt game, helped us beat Pitt the 2nd time, which helped us his the 3rd seed in Albany, which helped us make the final four, etc.

What does living through Judah's growing pains get us if he doesnt come back? Hopefully a great ACC tourney run?
Yup. This is it here! Melo having a "longer leash" in context of what that team was and where the program was at that point is way way different than what we are seeing now with Judah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom