Jim Harbaugh Proposing One and Done Rule for Football | Syracusefan.com

Jim Harbaugh Proposing One and Done Rule for Football

GreekFreak

Starter

Not a fan of this at all. I think the one and done has negatively impacted college basketball and
don't want to see it for football. Not many 19 year olds are ready to physically go up against the grown men in the NFL but money always talks. He must figure this will benefit him or he wouldn't do it. Probably hoping that Ohio State's players will leave because he sure can't beat them now.

NFL would just draft younger players later in draft based on potential and stash them in some developmental system unwatched by anyone just like NBA wants to.

Not a fan of this at all. I think the one and done has negatively impacted college basketball and
don't want to see it for football. Not many 19 year olds are ready to physically go up against the grown men in the NFL but money always talks. He must figure this will benefit him or he wouldn't do it. Probably hoping that Ohio State's players will leave because he sure can't beat them now.
Harbaugh making rule change proposals? He can’t even dress himself. I question if he even has control of his bowels.

Why can’t he spend his timing figuring out how to get around NCAA rules and give Michigan football players more benefits they are not supposed to get?

Harbaugh should stick to try to beating Ohio St or any big game. The guy is clueless.

He can’t even dress himself.

Yeah, the sweatshirt tucked tightly into the khakis look never took off.

It just looks so uncomfortable to me.

Sadly, he's moved onto desperate measures like this to try to keep recruiting pace with his friends in Columbus. A real champion of the player.

How can people support paying college players but not support one and done? My opinion is just the opposite. Play college? You’re an amateur. Want to get paid? Go pro. Want to leave after one year. Good luck to you.

This isn't stupid.
RBs should definitely go pro as soon as they can. They have a short shelf life in the NFL.

College football is not amateur football. Colleges are making a lot of money off the games/sport and the players get none of it.
The problem with this is Harbaugh doesn't get the eligibility for the NFL Draft is collectively bargained.
Thus he and the NCAA have nothing to do to change the rules for the NFL Draft.

Clarett vs. NFL showed that while the lower level court ruled in favor of Maurice Clarett the Court of Appeals overturned that because the eligibility requirements were collectively bargained and Clarett wasn't in the NFLPA or league yet so he had no standing to challenge the rules.

The NFLPA isn't going to vote to change the eligibility to a lower age because veterans want jobs and if the league can get younger the teams always opt for youth as it is cheaper.

This isn't stupid.
RBs should definitely go pro as soon as they can. They have a short shelf life in the NFL.

College football is not amateur football. Colleges are making a lot of money off the games/sport and the players get none of it.
The problem with this is Harbaugh doesn't get the eligibility for the NFL Draft is collectively bargained.
Thus he and the NCAA have nothing to do to change the rules for the NFL Draft.

Clarett vs. NFL showed that while the lower level court ruled in favor of Maurice Clarett the Court of Appeals overturned that because the eligibility requirements were collectively bargained and Clarett wasn't in the NFLPA or league yet so he had no standing to challenge the rules.

The NFLPA isn't going to vote to change the eligibility to a lower age because veterans want jobs and if the league can get younger the teams always opt for youth as it is cheaper.

Exactly. Also the 53 Man Roster size would have to be expanded along with possibly the practice squad sizes too. The timing, in the middle of a pandemic is dumb though. Professional sports are losing profits by the minute and projections aren't going to look any better until there is a vaccine.

Former coach was on Colin Cowherd today talking about how the being able to come back idea is ok if you go undrafted or 6/7th round

I am 100% in favor of a kid going to pursue a career any time he wants. If a kid is 18, out of high school, and wants to turn pro, he should be allowed to.

he wont be coaching after this yr if he doesnt step up his game.

Trust me, as a Michigan alum, I want him to just shut the and beat Ohio State. I’m tired of the politics and other B.S. - just beat those degenerates.

He has two more years though - if he loses in Ann Arbor again, he’s toast.

Most of these kids won't be physically ready for the NFL if this passed.

Most of these kids won't be physically ready for the NFL if this passed.
That’s their choice and the NFL’s choice.

It's true and they will flame out even faster than in NBA basketball.
Life’s full of disappointment. Study hard in school. Get good grades. Get a good job. Don’t expect football to save your butt. We have our priorities all screwed up. If we want to change how people view the world we have to stop propping up a system that is designed for failure.

Life’s full of disappointment. Study hard in school. Get good grades. Get a good job. Don’t expect football to save your butt. We have our priorities all screwed up. If we want to change how people view the world we have to stop propping up a system that is designed for failure.

So make it easier for them to fail?

Have them go to the NFL early is not exactly putting education first.
Actually it is. Only a small number will be able to even try. But with everyone, we will be reinforcing the idea - to kids of all ages, not just college students - that education, not sports is your path to success. Sports can be a pathway to education. But for 99.9% of kids, their motivation should be how to get into school, not how do I get into the nfl or get a few bucks thrown my way just to perpetuate a system that uses these kids.

Or maybe he realizes that keeping adults people from earning a living in their chosen field is essentially un-American, and that these rules negatively impact economically impoverished individuals and families, the majority of whom are minorities. Maybe he doesn't believe in making up reasons for keeping the kids down on the farm just for the entertainment of wealthy alumni and the enrichment of the college and to feed the forced apprenticeships for the professional leagues.

Have them go to the NFL early is not exactly putting education first.
Why? Who says the kids can't still earn their degrees? Lots of folks do, while working. It's a laugh if you think educating FB and BB players is the priority of the schools or coaches. The kids are steered away from majors and classes. The goal is eligibility, not education. See Syracuse University (Fab Melo, James Southerland) and UNC for just 2 examples. It's the rare kid who is actually using FB and BB to become educated.