Jimmy B. - The Player! | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy B. - The Player!

benjams77

Walk On
I remember the feeling for many of us last year when Kadary entered the game and it just felt like he impacted the game different... I get that same sense/feeling with JBIII...He is very skilled and opens up a lot offensively... TBH JBIII gives me the same type of sense that AO did in 2010, where he just could always finish down low...Now AO was bigger but did not play above the rim... He was just solid in the post and had good footwork and finished with angles...JBIII is like that...Plus he adds the perimiter element... To me he has a little bit of Kevin Love to his game.

Being able to finish with both hands is a great skill to have, especially since he's tossing many of those in from a few feet out, and not just layups at the rim.

I get what you are saying about the 'feel' of AO, but AO was very much at the rim, unlike what we've seen from Jimmy. The other thing to consider is that AO was so strong that he often would foul out of preseason games like the one played yesterday because guys would end up bouncing off of him even when he didn't foul them. I hope JB3 can be as successful against the ACC forwards he'll be matched up with, because it gives us so many more options. Continues to spread the floor for his brother and Cole.

The mid-post game is something we haven't had in a player before. Maybe CJ?

But regardless, it's a dimension of our offense that makes us so much more difficult to guard. If you consider him the third option [behind Buddy and Cole], man -- what a weapon. He can post, drive, shoot from mid range, shoot from three, and finish in transition. Pretty good [not great] rebounder, but he has size. Terrific addition.

Being able to finish with both hands is a great skill to have, especially since he's tossing many of those in from a few feet out, and not just layups at the rim.

I get what you are saying about the 'feel' of AO, but AO was very much at the rim, unlike what we've seen from Jimmy. The other thing to consider is that AO was so strong that he often would foul out of preseason games like the one played yesterday because guys would end up bouncing off of him even when he didn't foul them. I hope JB3 can be as successful against the ACC forwards he'll be matched up with, because it gives us so many more options. Continues to spread the floor for his brother and Cole.
I guess I feel like Jimmy is gonna finish around the rim kind of how I felt AO would ...Just has a knack for angles...Perimeter defintiley sets Jimmy apart

I remember the feeling for many of us last year when Kadary entered the game and it just felt like he impacted the game different... I get that same sense/feeling with JBIII...He is very skilled and opens up a lot offensively... TBH JBIII gives me the same type of sense that AO did in 2010, where he just could always finish down low...Now AO was bigger but did not play above the rim... He was just solid in the post and had good footwork and finished with angles...JBIII is like that...Plus he adds the perimiter element... To me he has a little bit of Kevin Love to his game.
I will readily admit, I underestimated Jimmy and the impact he would have. He is way more skilled than I had anticipated and his feel for the game is really impressive. He's not going to show up a ton on highlight reels, but he's the type of guy that you need to win a lot of games. Super impressed so far with him.

I will readily admit, I underestimated Jimmy and the impact he would have. He is way more skilled than I had anticipated and his feel for the game is really impressive. He's not going to show up a ton on highlight reels, but he's the type of guy that you need to win a lot of games. Super impressed so far with him.

Well, I won't break my arm patting myself on the back, but... ;)

I said right from the beginning that Jimmy was a skilled, talented player, who could help us tremendously.
I called him a "homeless man's Kevin McHale" -
he's got a plethora of "old man at the Y" post moves, with both hands, and he's a much better athlete than people might think.

AND - I also said he'd be a decent shooter from 3, in spite of his 29% from 3 his final season at Cornell, simply because he was THE MAN for them, and he's be Just A Guy here, and wouldn't get remotely the same level of defensive attention.
(that will all, rightfully, go towards Buddy, and maybe Cole to a lesser extent)

AND - lastly, I said I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him, (and/or Cole), get non-desperation minutes at the 5.

Hereby endeth the drive-by gloating. :p

I said right from the beginning that Jimmy was a skilled, talented player, who could help us tremendously.
he's got a plethora of "old man at the Y" post moves, with both hands, and he's a much better athlete than people might think.

AND - I also said he'd be a decent shooter from 3, in spite of his 29% from 3 his final season at Cornell, simply because he was THE MAN for them, and he's be Just A Guy here, and wouldn't get remotely the same level of defensive attention.
(that will all, rightfully, go towards Buddy, and maybe Cole to a lesser extent)

AND - lastly, I said I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him, (and/or Cole), get non-desperation minutes at the 5.

LOL the "homeless man's McHale" is a pretty fantastic description. I agree with you that he received all of the attention at Cornell. I think that may have been why I didn't realize how truly skilled he was/is. With the ability for Cuse to space the floor, he will get plenty of opportunities to work around the rim and be able to drag defenders outside. If he can consistently contribute 14-16 ppg, he will be a huge asset for this team.

I trust JB when he wanted Jimmy on the team. Coach is known as an excellent talent evaluator. He didn’t think he was ready out of high school when basketball wasn’t Jimmy’s focus. He developed at Cornell and probably seeing Buddy improving from an expected role player at SU to the major player he’s evolved into, probably helped light a fire under Jimmy too. If coach didn’t think that Jimmy was ready to contribute, he wouldn’t expose him to the criticism, pressure he knew he’d face at SU.

He might not be an explosive, sudden athlete, but he’s skilled and most of all finishes. There are probably 100’s of posts in the past complaining about forwards and centers who didn’t consistently finish at the hoop.

QG is the latest example. Plus he has good range, and is a good passer. He doesn’t make you cringe when he puts the ball on the floor, and he isn’t an unforced turnover machine.

Last edited:

I like the "homeless man's Kevin McHale" description.

We need to get Benny to get to the basket from the foul line and making mid range shots. He should not be at the three point line. It’s pretty obvious that Swider, JBIII and Benny are huge upgrades over Griffin and Quincy. They understand how to play the game and can dribble drive, pass and shoot. Their effort on defense is also better.

We need to get Benny to get to the basket from the foul line and making mid range shots. He should not be at the three point line. It’s pretty obvious that Swider, JBIII and Benny are huge upgrades over Griffin and Quincy. They understand how to play the game and can dribble drive, pass and shoot. Their effort on defense is also better.
Yeah need to get Benny to operate more inside then out for the time being

I trust JB when he wanted Jimmy on the team. Coach is known as an excellent talent evaluator. He didn’t think he was ready out of high school when basketball wasn’t Jimmy’s focus. He developed at Cornell and probably seeing Buddy improving from an expected role player at SU to the major player he’s evolved into, probably helped light a fire under Jimmy too. If coach didn’t think that Jimmy was ready to contribute, he wouldn’t expose him to the criticism, pressure he knew he’d face at SU.
There are many things to admire about JB as a coach and philanthropist. How he has handled the recruiting and playing of his sons is certainly high among his coaching accomplishments. Imaging telling the oldest you are not good enough to play for me (I know academics, Ivy League, etc. was part of it, but still...), and then recruiting the younger, and now having the older son playing second fiddle to his little brother in the national CBB spotlight.
I also think that it speaks volumes as to his relationships with them and Julie, and their relationship with each other, that they can not only weather this, but are seeming to thrive. That, I think, has impressed me the most about the Boeheims.

There are many things to admire about JB as a coach and philanthropist. How he has handled the recruiting and playing of his sons is certainly high among his coaching accomplishments. Imaging telling the oldest you are not good enough to play for me (I know academics, Ivy League, etc. was part of it, but still...), and then recruiting the younger, and now having the older son playing second fiddle to his little brother in the national CBB spotlight.
I also think that it speaks volumes as to his relationships with them and Julie, and their relationship with each other, that they can not only weather this, but are seeming to thrive. That, I think, has impressed me the most about the Boeheims.
It's a very interesting point. I wonder if JB were a younger man and had less years of experience if it would have been the same. JB's seen a lot over the years. His model has to be a positive for the boys.

Last edited:
I was impressed with his right hand.
1636996690098.png

I didn’t hear it from the horses mouth so I can’t confirm it but I had heard the assistants at some point had to do a little convincing of JB that Buddy could play at this level.

It’s super early obviously but based on what we’ve seen early, I have no issues saying I was wrong suggesting Jimmy shouldn’t start over Benny to start the season.

Doesn’t necessarily suggest minutes can go different ways based on matchups etc. but I don’t see a reason not to start Jimmy unless defense becomes an obvious issue out of the gate routinely.

So far so good... All I can say is that in all the games over the years we have played Cornell, Jimmy has looked like one of the best players on the court for either team. Now whether that says more about our talent or Jimmy I have no idea.

It's fascinating watching he and his bro play... Buddy always has a smile on his fave whereas Jimmy seems to be a lot more intense and hard on himself.

After the first game I thought Swider and Benny would be competing for minutes, but it does seem like Jimmy and Benny like to occupy the same parts of the floor right now. Will be fun to see how this evolves this season.

It’s super early obviously but based on what we’ve seen early, I have no issues saying I was wrong suggesting Jimmy shouldn’t start over Benny to start the season.

Doesn’t necessarily suggest minutes can go different ways based on matchups etc. but I don’t see a reason not to start Jimmy unless defense becomes an obvious issue out of the gate routinely.
I am in the same boat. Jimmy is better than I anticipated and Benny's jump shot is a bit off. I thought that Benny would take a little time to catch up to the speed of this level of basketball. I am just glad that Cole and Jimmy appear up to the task of holding down the fort while our young budding superstar continues to develop.

I didn’t hear it from the horses mouth so I can’t confirm it but I had heard the assistants at some point had to do a little convincing of JB that Buddy could play at this level.
I had heard that at one of the camps or events others (maybe Few or K) told JB he had to take Buddy. My guess would be JB knew, but wanted to trust that the coach in him said yes, and not the dad.
(I myself know, that if just given the chance, my son could play keeper for the USMNT. )

I had heard that at one of the camps or events others (maybe Few or K) told JB he had to take Buddy. My guess would be JB knew, but wanted to trust that the coach in him said yes, and not the dad.
(I myself know, that if just given the chance, my son could play keeper for the USMNT. )
It was Roy Williams that told JB that if JB wasn't going to recruit Buddy that he was at Carolina.

JB said that conversation helped convince him that Buddy could be an ACC level player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom