Class of 2018 - RB Joe Benedict (Sandy Creek) Verbal to SUNY Brockport | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 RB Joe Benedict (Sandy Creek) Verbal to SUNY Brockport

Looks like he can run. The PS lists him at 6'2 205. Might be fast enough to be an LB at the D1 level in college though it is hard to tell from that film...he just sprints for a TD on just about every play, not much cutting or side to side movement required.

Sad he broke Dales record. I played in the game, thought it was stand for a lot longer.

Looks like he can run. The PS lists him at 6'2 205. Might be fast enough to be an LB at the D1 level in college though it is hard to tell from that film...he just sprints for a TD on just about every play, not much cutting or side to side movement required.
At his size (as a Jr) and with his wrestling background, maybe he could develop into a D-1 inside LB.

I hope he camps at SU this summer to be evaluated.

At his size (as a Jr) and with his wrestling background, maybe he could develop into a D-1 inside LB.

I hope he camps at SU this summer to be evaluated.
He's kind of a big fish in a little pond, but I hope he gets a look. I'm no evaluator of talent but he seems to have some size and athleticism. Local kids help to drive interest from the community so I'd like to think SU would be interested if he has the metrics. I still love DaJuan Coleman for being a local kid that decided to play for his hometown college. Go Joe!!

Seems to be a tremendous kid, great success for him.

He's not a prospect for Syracuse, or D-1 for that matter.

Seems to be a tremendous kid, great success for him.

He's not a prospect for Syracuse, or D-1 for that matter.
Thanks...I was wondering how he really measures up. The coach at Sandy Creek has done a nice job. The team was never very good while I was there but he has them in the playoffs regularly. Kudos to both...

He is definitely a d1 prospect, you dont run for 584 yards by accident. The question should be is he power 5 talent. I think it is a no brainer that this kid should be at syracuse in 2018, he is a man among boys and he is only a junior. Syracuse needs a local kid on the roster, too many times the good local ones go away and turn into monsters. Mike hart comes to mind. I love seeing my old school in the paper, the head coach (my old coach too) has turned them into a yearly power in class D. Sandy Creek has been pretty legit since the late 90s.

Thanks...I was wondering how he really measures up. The coach at Sandy Creek has done a nice job. The team was never very good while I was there but he has them in the playoffs regularly. Kudos to both...
They have a nice program.

At the RB position in Section 3, I think Stevie Scott III from CBA is really the only D-1 caliber guy. CBA is ridiculously loaded this year. Legitimate 4-5 D-1 prospects in that roster.

I had to put a plug in for a kid from my hometown, Joe Benedict, who just set the NYS record for running yards in a game. He gained 584 yard on 38 carries. Kudos to Joe...well done.

Link
He is without question a player SU can use at the linebacker position. I hope someone gets a hold of the coaching staff so they can see him play. It's always nice to see local kids play in their back yard!

maybe he can make us forget the last update New York miss when Brian Leonard skipped us for Rutgers...keep the local boy home!

our HS had kids run for over 300 yds several times but sometimes you just dont get enough carries in a game to get a larger number or the game gets out of hand still doesnt make for a college prospect.

our HS had kids run for over 300 yds several times but sometimes you just dont get enough carries in a game to get a larger number or the game gets out of hand still doesnt make for a college prospect.
300 is a little different than 584 yds. This kid averages 291 yds per game, its not like he got lucky a few times and had a couple of good games. Plus the fact that he is only a junior should only further cement his status as a d1 prospect. Remember he is 16 years old!

maybe he can make us forget the last update New York miss when Brian Leonard skipped us for Rutgers...keep the local boy home!
Leonard pulled a Sheehey. Felt the older brother at SU didn't get a fair shake, so went elsewhere.

I couldn't say whether he is a D-1 (FBS or FCS) caliber prospect or not, but I can say that the kid whose record he broke went to Morrisville. There are lots of Upstate NY running backs who tore up their respective sections, who managed to have great college careers at ... Union, Hobart, Cortland, etc.

If the kid wants to be a serious prospect, he should find some prep school that plays against decent competition or, at minimum, should shuttle down to CBA.

Having said all of that, Josh Keyes, came out of a very small high school in the Albany area, and was constantly underrated because of it, even though he had some great measurables. He was an all ACC player at BC i think, and now plays in the NFL. Not sure what Joe's measurables are, but if he is serious about major college football, he should try to the above path. Otherwise, i suspect FCS will be his absolute ceiling.

Finwad, have you heard anything about Tillery out of Albany? He is a really nice player.

I thought he didn't come because we fired Coach P during that recruiting cycle?
I believe the big reasons were that SU pulled his brother's scholarship when he tore his ACL, and Coach P wanted him at LB and wasn't going to give him a shot at RB.

I just wanted to give a shout out to a kid from a small school that had a great day. Finwad and others who are in the business will assess his talents and help define his potential. He may or may not be interested in continuing his sports involvement either. But for one magical day, he was the king of NY football. Congrats to him for the accomplishment...

I thought he didn't come because we fired Coach P during that recruiting cycle?

That was Ray Rice...

bring him in, put 25-30 lbs on him and we have our FB.

I couldn't say whether he is a D-1 (FBS or FCS) caliber prospect or not, but I can say that the kid whose record he broke went to Morrisville. There are lots of Upstate NY running backs who tore up their respective sections, who managed to have great college careers at ... Union, Hobart, Cortland, etc.

If the kid wants to be a serious prospect, he should find some prep school that plays against decent competition or, at minimum, should shuttle down to CBA.

Having said all of that, Josh Keyes, came out of a very small high school in the Albany area, and was constantly underrated because of it, even though he had some great measurables. He was an all ACC player at BC i think, and now plays in the NFL. Not sure what Joe's measurables are, but if he is serious about major college football, he should try to the above path. Otherwise, i suspect FCS will be his absolute ceiling.

Finwad, have you heard anything about Tillery out of Albany? He is a really nice player.
I love Tillery's athleticism... I'm not sure how he translates to the next level. He should have some options when it's all said and done. I'm interested to see where he ends up.

Jesse Manuel, the kid whose record was broken was NYS's 2nd all-time leading rusher. Behind only Mike Hart. He had over 8,000 career rushing yards. He's a completely different back, very small and shifty.

I just wanted to give a shout out to a kid from a small school that had a great day. Finwad and others who are in the business will assess his talents and help define his potential. He may or may not be interested in continuing his sports involvement either. But for one magical day, he was the king of NY football. Congrats to him for the accomplishment...
No doubt about it, it was a fantastic accomplishment. Something that he'll always have.

Meet the 2016 All-CNY football team (small schools)

21618427-standard.jpg