Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't the success of GMAC, Rautins and even Cooney, (who started for three years), here suggest that there might be a place for Girard?

well... im all for Girard - but Rautins is 6'4" and Cooney is 6'4" with a RIDICULOUS 40 inch + vert.

I dont think Girard matches up well with those 2 at all.

Girard is 6'0" even. The Cooney and Rautins comparisons are strictly due to them both being Caucasian. I compared Akok Akok to Lydon and people were mind blown because they aren't the same color.

They are all shooting guards whose all-around skills were questioned. Rautins was once described as a "waste of a scholarship" who was here as a local kid and a legacy kid. Cooney was as criticized as any player we've had. GMAC was the same size as Girard.

They are all shooting guards whose all-around skills were questioned. And GMAC was the same size as Girard.

Fair enough. Girard will never be as good on defense as the other two and he's considerably smaller.

Your full of it. We had some great offensive teams in the not so distant past. Unforeseen early entries to the draft, scholarship limitations, transfers, some misses, the forced retirement of JB and the sanctions all had an impact. We will be great on offense again.

We've had issues with offense going back to 2013. So probation and the transition cant be entirely to blame.

The other stuff (recruiting misses, early NBA entries, and transfers) are things that every power five program has to deal with.

They are all shooting guards whose all-around skills were questioned. Rautins was once described as a "waste of a scholarship" who was here as a local kid and a legacy kid. Cooney was as criticized as any player we've had. GMAC was the same size as Girard.
Cooney was a 4 star player coming out of high school that had significant success at the AAU level.

Cooney was a 6’4 athletic freak 4 star with more success at the aau level.

Rautins was a 6’4 sharpshooter that could pass and plug in on d.

These two were both fits at the top of the zone.

Both had upsides in scoring, facilitating and d.

Girard does not have size and arguably has far less upside facilitating and defensively.

The only similarity is he may be able to shoot as well. Im not bashing him im trying to be realistic. If someone has stats/facts to prove otherwise id love to see it.

We've had issues with offense going back to 2013. So probation and the transition cant be entirely to blame.

The other stuff (recruiting misses, early NBA entries, and transfers) are things that every power five program has to deal with.
We have been dealing with early entries almost every year. Outside of a handful of schools that didn't have scholarship reductions, the talent drain is not what every power five school is dealing with.

Cooney was a 6’4 athletic freak 4 star with more success at the aau level.

Rautins was a 6’4 sharpshooter that could pass and plug in on d.

These two were both fits at the top of the zone.

Both had upsides in scoring, facilitating and d.

Girard does not have size and arguably has far less upside facilitating and defensively.

The only similarity is he may be able to shoot as well. Im not bashing him im trying to be realistic. If someone has stats/facts to prove otherwise id love to see it.
Girard has interest from Duke. What does that tell you? Rautins didn't have interest anywhere near that.

We have been dealing with early entries almost every year. Outside of a handful of schools that didn't have scholarship reductions, the talent drain is not what every power five school is dealing with.

A "handful of schools" ie our basketball peers? The programs we should be compared to on a year to year basis?

Every elite program save maybe UNC has had to deal with this. And even if your premise is correct then what? Maybe stop recruiting potential first rounders?

Girard has interest from Duke. What does that tell you? Rautins didn't have interest anywhere near that.
Im sure he was told he’s a priority too. He sure has a ton of offers. I hate bringing this up but do you think they’re all committable at this moment? Or do you think a lot of schools threw their hats in the ring seeing his hs numbers, hoping they’d have a good relationShip before it translated to aau and bhe’s suddenly jimmer 2.0?

Pure speculation, but a lot of these big offers seem to come before he hit the aau circuit.

A "handful of schools" ie our basketball peers? The programs we should be compared to on a year to year basis?

Every elite program save maybe UNC has had to deal with this. And even if your premise is correct then what? Maybe stop recruiting potential first rounders?

That was hardly what I was saying. You said that all power five schools have to deal with this. My point was that there are no other top schools that are dealing with sanctions and early entries on the basis that the 'cuse is and the combination was bound to have an effect on our team and our offence for that matter.
Not sure where the 'premise' stated that we should not recruit first rounders.

That was hardly what I was saying. You said that all power five schools have to deal with this. My point was that there are no other top schools that are dealing with sanctions and early entries on the basis that the 'cuse is and the combination was bound to have an effect on our team and our offence for that matter.
Not sure where the 'premise' stated that we should not recruit first rounders.

Our problem is that we have one and dones, (and two and dones), that aren't really one and dones. The guys we lose, (after Carmelo), aren't the type to lead us to the national championship in that time. They are the type that might help us get there as juniors and seniors.

Last edited:
Our problem is that we have one and dones, (and two and dones), that aren't really one and dones. The guys we lose, (after Carmelo), aren't the type to lead us to the national championship in that time. They are the type that might help us get there as juniors and seniors.
Well put. And it has to be impossible for the staff to anticipate some of these departures. Ennis and Richardson come to mind as guys that I am sure they didn't expect to be one and done. I am sure they expected McCullough to be one and done, but after the injury, that might have changed.

Wow...talk about poor reading skills, until a couple of weeks ago I thought this was Joe Girardi's (of Northbrook Ill) son. Oh yeah, and former Yank manager. :oops:

Isn't Michigan seen as virtual lock for this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom