Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michigan has other guards they are after as well. It’s not a guarantee he will go there. I wouldn’t be surprised if Notre Dame is the pick in the end.
Yep neither would I. I still say we have a slight shot here, especially if his recruitment goes into the fall. As time moves ob, our chances increase here/with any local talents

Just looking at this picture, Girard in a ND uniform (dropping 34 points on us in the dome) looks like a natural fit...
Just another reason why he needs to be Orange. Nothing would be worse than an upstate kid coming into the Dome and beating the local team.

Were you listening to Axe today too?

I’m sure he’s heavily considering SU. But Michigan has to be a favorite here. Academics, cny ties with Beilein and he could even pitch nik stauskas

Nik stauskas? He’s a completely different player then Girard. Not even close really. Stauskas is 6’6 and plays the 2. Girard is a point and barely 6’. The only thing they have in common is the whiteness of their skin.

Nik stauskas? He’s a completely different player then Girard. Not even close really. Stauskas is 6’6 and plays the 2. Girard is a point and barely 6’. The only thing they have in common is the whiteness of their skin.
Or that they’re both big time shooters. If I was Belein i’d say i took Stauskas, provided him a system and platform to display his marksmanship and look he’s in the NBA

He does remind me of a scrappy ND player. If this kid was 6’4” I would be super excited. We get him good we don’t ok. We have Buddy so I am ok in future at Sg and when was last time we had a 6’1” shooting guard. Can’t really say McNamara cuz he was also a point other than freshmen year I believe.

I’m indifferent on this kid. I worry about him in the zone

Zone could be an issue but I'm more worried about the step up in competition. I realize he has also played AAU ball but dominating small high schools in NY is different than doing the same in the
ACC. That being said, if we're going to take a chance on someone, I'd rather do it with a shooter like this.

Zone could be an issue but I'm more worried about the step up in competition. I realize he has also played AAU ball but dominating small high schools in NY is different than doing the same in the
ACC. That being said, if we're going to take a chance on someone, I'd rather do it with a shooter like this.

He did shoot 37% and 42% last year from 3 in AAU. He's not Buddy, but that's the least of my concerns.

Im just not sure he gets a ton of time initially if he comes here. We'd have a shooter in Buddy, 3rd yr PG in Howard Washington, 2nd year Carey, and Goodine coming in. Lots can change obviously with those positions but as it sits right now, that's not the easiest route for large chunks of early PT. That said, as a 2nd or 3rd yr player I think he can definitely contribute and help the team a bunch but if he chooses elsewhere I wont lose too much sleep over it.

Im just not sure he gets a ton of time initially if he comes here. We'd have a shooter in Buddy, 3rd yr PG in Howard Washington, 2nd year Carey, and Goodine coming in. Lots can change obviously with those positions but as it sits right now, that's not the easiest route for large chunks of early PT. That said, as a 2nd or 3rd yr player I think he can definitely contribute and help the team a bunch but if he chooses elsewhere I wont lose too much sleep over it.
Shooters will always find their way on the floor. If you look at all of his six finalists, don’t you think they will also bring in additional shooters? If you’re afraid of competition, they you shouln’t go to a division 1 basketball school. They are always looking to recruit players better than they already have on their roster. My gut says Girard and Stewart will both end up at Duke. They are not afraid to compete.

Shooters will always find their way on the floor. If you look at all of his six finalists, don’t you think they will also bring in additional shooters? If you’re afraid of competition, they you shouln’t go to a division 1 basketball school. They are always looking to recruit players better than they already have on their roster. My gut says Girard and Stewart will both end up at Duke. They are not afraid to compete.
Don't see it for Girard and Duke. One thing to be competitive another to be naive. He would get Jordan Tuckered there.

This is an interesting thread.

If Joe comes here he will be viewed as the new Frechette plus. Greatest shooter this side of S Curry.

If he goes elsewhere, everybody will say how it did not really matter because he is too short, won't play the Zone well, put up his numbers against weak competition, etc.

So, I guess it is a win-win for us no matter what he decides.

I agree that Girard will not be scared off by the competition at any school in his top 6. And if he wants to come hear I would most certainly take him. The point I was trying to make is that we have quality depth and shooters on the team, and coupled with what we have coming in at his position, we will be more than fine if he goes elsewhere. I am much more anxious on how we do with Whitney, Precious, the center position and even Gurrier (sp?) at this point in time.

I agree that Girard will not be scared off by the competition at any school in his top 6. And if he wants to come hear I would most certainly take him. The point I was trying to make is that we have quality depth and shooters on the team, and coupled with what we have coming in at his position, we will be more than fine if he goes elsewhere. I am much more anxious on how we do with Whitney, Precious, the center position and even Gurrier (sp?) at this point in time.
IMO, we have NO proven shooters currently on the roster. The crucible of the season may prove otherwise, but let's not count our chickens.

IMO, we have NO proven shooters currently on the roster. The crucible of the season may prove otherwise, but let's not count our chickens.

I get what your saying but if both buddy and goodine shot it as well or better then Girard in EYBL that also should mean something. IMO with 3 point guards already on the roster we have other areas that need to be addressed. Like I said, I'd take him in a heartbeat if he wants to commit but I'm much more anxious about the other positions in this class that were going after

I get what your saying but if both buddy and goodine shot it as well or better then Girard in EYBL that also should mean something. IMO with 3 point guards already on the roster we have other areas that need to be addressed. Like I said, I'd take him in a heartbeat if he wants to commit but I'm much more anxious about the other positions in this class that were going after

Howard Washington is the classic kid that you recruit over. If we are successful in doing so he probably never gets an opportunity at SU. If we are unsuccessful or there is a gap (due to injury or early departure) than he may get an opportunity. But you don't avoid stocking the cupboard with talent because he is here.

Howard Washington is the classic kid that you recruit over. If we are successful in doing so he probably never gets an opportunity at SU. If we are unsuccessful or there is a gap (due to injury or early departure) than he may get an opportunity. But you don't avoid stocking the cupboard with talent because he is here.

I think there is a lot of story still to be written on HW, it will be interesting to see how that turns out for sure. But the point I was trying to make is that we should have a lot of the skill sets of what Girard brings to the table at the guard position. Now could Girard end up being a better shooter than Buddy, Goodine, Carey (who also shoots it pretty well), Washington and Hughes who will likely see some time at the 2, maybe, maybe not, but as a combo option I feel that much of what he brings is already there. Too be honest I would rather us go harder after Guerrier who is a 6'6-6'7 athletic combo guard who is a solid shooter because he brings a skill set that is in greater need at this time given our roster and defensive system.

If we land Girard i’ll view it as we’re in great recruiting condition because we just landed an ultimate luxury recruit.

i agree with this, to me he is a luxury recruit, I am not as high on him as others here, his size and athletic ability scares me and quite frankly I think he is a shooter and shooter only. I dont love his game but you can never have enough shooters so if he comes here great, if not no problem. I think the guys we have on the roster and infront of him will be superior ball players anyway.

He’s gonna weaken the zone. Don’t need him. We have shooters already Bet he’s goes to Duke because they’re dook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom