Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id worry about JG playing man to man D but we don’t play it obviously. I worry about it not cause he isn’t athletic and can’t learn it but he wasn’t good at it when I saw him play at times. he’s used to playing D on the back line or inside bc he’s the tallest kid on the team. He doesn’t guard the other teams PG.

I’d wonder how he plays D in the AAU setting.

He’s very athletic though, quick hands quick feet, can jump, can run. not sure about his lateral quickness.

Poeple shouldn’t confuse certain things with athleticism though.

Id worry about JG playing man to man D but we don’t play it obviously. I worry about it not cause he isn’t athletic and can’t learn it but he wasn’t good at it when I saw him play at times. he’s used to playing D on the back line or inside bc he’s the tallest kid on the team. He doesn’t guard the other teams PG.

I’d wonder how he plays D in the AAU setting.

He’s very athletic though, quick hands quick feet, can jump, can run. not sure about his lateral quickness.

Poeple shouldn’t confuse certain things with athleticism though.

I've seen JG3 play 7-8 times live in the EYBL. One defensive takeaway I always observed when the City Rocks were in man-to-man JG3 would always call out and/or switch to the weakest opposing guard on the other team. Symir, MAW, or Hutchins would have to take the better guards in man-to-man.

To add to this from what I've seen of JG I don't think he's as athletic as Cooney is and we saw plenty of times how he was completely taken out of a game by being face guarded.
True but IMHO hs basketball skill set is better than TC's was, and I think he has better hand eye skills and game sense.

Yeah, count me as one of the skeptics. 34 inches is fine, but its not going to make up for the fact that he 6 foot flat and doesn't have long arms (based on pictures of him). The shorter you are, the more freakishly athletic you have to be to make up for it (think Nate Robinson). I'd love to get him, but I have a hard time seeing him as an top player for us since he doesn't seem to have the handle/vision to be an ACC point guard, and I think his size will be an issue at the top of the zone for us, especially if he has to share the court with a point guard. Now, if he can play PG well for us, I might change my mind, but as of right now, I don't think he's gonna be skilled enough.

Why does he have to be a top player? Feel like we've all started to expect every recruit to come in and make an impact and be a finished product in year 1. Girard is not going to be an average ACC starter in year 1 and probably not in year 2. At his size, he's going to need a year and likely 2 to be ready to be a major contributer at this level. I think expecting otherwise would just lead to disappointment.

Why does he have to be a top player? Feel like we've all started to expect every recruit to come in and make an impact and be a finished product in year 1. Girard is not going to be an average ACC starter in year 1 and probably not in year 2. At his size, he's going to need a year and likely 2 to be ready to be a major contributer at this level. I think expecting otherwise would just lead to disappointment.
Absolutely. We are always so quick to complain about the kids leaving early. Well, do we want one and done types, or do we want guys that stay 4 years and develop? I think the later has proven to be much more effective in college basketball.

Prime example is on our roster right now and several others have commented the same. I know he hasn't shown a ton of consistent play yet, but if you aren't excited about the potential Washington has in a year or so as a lead guard, I think you are watching a different game than I.

I for one look forward to the one and done days being over! Even if it means missing out on some really talented young players.

4 year players are the guys we start threads about complaining how they aren't good. (Frank/Cooney/Triche/Scoop/Rautins)

One or 2 and done's leave to early.(Mali/Lydon/Ennis)

The long and short of it is people love to complain.

Absolutely. We are always so quick to complain about the kids leaving early. Well, do we want one and done types, or do we want guys that stay 4 years and develop? I think the later has proven to be much more effective in college basketball.

Prime example is on our roster right now and several others have commented the same. I know he hasn't shown a ton of consistent play yet, but if you aren't excited about the potential Washington has in a year or so as a lead guard, I think you are watching a different game than I.

I for one look forward to the one and done days being over! Even if it means missing out on some really talented young players.

Completely agree. Every time I see people on here talking about HW needing to leave or whatever it makes me nuts. He's exactly what we have been missing for so long. We need those guys that take a couple years to get ready and then build up to being a key piece as a Sr.

4 year players are the guys we start threads about complaining how they aren't good. (Frank/Cooney/Triche/Scoop/Rautins)

Simple solution...make them all leave after 3 years!

Your welcome!:rolling:

Yeah, count me as one of the skeptics. 34 inches is fine, but its not going to make up for the fact that he 6 foot flat and doesn't have long arms (based on pictures of him). The shorter you are, the more freakishly athletic you have to be to make up for it (think Nate Robinson). I'd love to get him, but I have a hard time seeing him as an top player for us since he doesn't seem to have the handle/vision to be an ACC point guard, and I think his size will be an issue at the top of the zone for us, especially if he has to share the court with a point guard. Now, if he can play PG well for us, I might change my mind, but as of right now, I don't think he's gonna be skilled enough.
He’s sought after because he shoots from deep , not because he’s a freakish athlete or some kind of defensive stopper. It’s a position of need and a NYS “local” recruit.

Last edited:
I've seen JG3 play 7-8 times live in the EYBL. One defensive takeaway I always observed when the City Rocks were in man-to-man JG3 would always call out and/or switch to the weakest opposing guard on the other team. Symir, MAW, or Hutchins would have to take the better guards in man-to-man.

Does that make him more likely to want to play zone? Or would zone be a negative in Joes mind due to his lack of size. I think Cooney, who was really good at zone do yo his motor was 6 3

Things that can't be measured like competitiveness, heart, hustle, desire, grit, determination, the will to win, working out. These are all the qualities this kid has. Blue collar. It's why I've always compared him to GMAC. JG3 in a day in day out setting like Syracuse will hugely improve the things he'll need to work on like defense at the top of the zone. I have no doubt he'll be fine there.

And you know what, even if he isn't and he ends up being the third guard through his years he's still going to rain down threes off the bench. He's that player from other teams who always kills us and we always say "why cant we recruit a shooter like that". JG is that player.

I frankly think once he adapts to high major ball he'll be a starter. He'd be a deadly 2 guard playing with a PG who can create off the dribble and gets in the lane for the kick out.

(though I was way wrong on mookie jones the other thing that can't be seen/measured is what's between the ears. I have little worry about that with JG3).

Last edited:

Frank and BJ Johnson are all time classics. Had fun with the Cooneys a d2 talent threads too

I frankly think once he adapts to high major ball he'll be a starter. He'd be a deadly 2 guard playing with a PG who can create off the dribble and gets in the lane for the kick out.

This is well put and exactly the shame of what happened to GMAC. If Billy could have kept it together, they would have been deadly as a backcourt on offense. Not only that, Billy would lightened GMAC's load as a ball handler and he would have been better and would have kept his legs. In the brief times we saw Billy and Gerry together they were fantastic. Would have loved that for 4 years.

Does that make him more likely to want to play zone? Or would zone be a negative in Joes mind due to his lack of size. I think Cooney, who was really good at zone do yo his motor was 6 3
Personally, I feel zone at the next level will be best for Joe. He doesn't have to come in year 1 and play big minutes, so he can learn it better and improve his overall defense.

He’s sought after because he shoot from deep , not because he’s a freakish athlete or some kind of defensive stopper. It’s a position of need and a NYS “local” recruit.

I'm not saying that he has to be a top player. Like I said, I really want him and I think he can be a good piece for us. I'm just saying that he projects for me as a supporting cast sort of player, that may struggle to see the court earlier in his career because of his defensive liabilities. I'm responding to the posters who are putting him the same athletic category as Grayson Allen and even Trevor Cooney, who were athletic/tall/long enough to be dominant defenders at the top of our zone. If JG III was in that category, he would be a top player for us with his shooting, but he's not, not even close.

I'm not saying that he has to be a top player. Like I said, I really want him and I think he can be a good piece for us. I'm just saying that he projects for me as a supporting cast sort of player, that may struggle to see the court earlier in his career because of his defensive liabilities. I'm responding to the posters who are putting him the same athletic category as Grayson Allen and even Trevor Cooney, who were athletic/tall/long enough to be dominant defenders at the top of our zone. If JG III was in that category, he would be a top player for us with his shooting, but he's not, not even close.
I agree then.

Things that can't be measured like competitiveness, heart, hustle, desire, grit, determination, the will to win, working out. These are all the qualities this kid has. Blue collar. It's why I've always compared him to GMAC. JG3 in a day in day out setting like Syracuse will hugely improve the things he'll need to work on like defense at the top of the zone. I have no doubt he'll be fine there.

And you know what, even if he isn't and he ends up being the third guard through his years he's still going to rain down threes off the bench. He's that player from other teams who always kills us and we always say "why cant we recruit a shooter like that". JG is that player.

(though I was way wrong on mookie jones the other thing that can't be seen/measured is what's between the ears. I have little worry about that with JG3).
Holding myself back from making "white player" jokes like

tenor.gif

I've never seen him play but it seems to me that he must have that intangible quality called leadership based on two factors. He has a history of success and has needed to take responsibility for his HS team scoring. It's not always easy to take 25-30 shots in a game especially if they aren't dropping right away. Secondly, he's been a QB...which also means he's willing to be the "guy" when it comes to his team. I like that character trait a lot...he has the cajones (sp?) to accept his role as the leader.

Only danger with that type of player is that frustration can set in if success doesn't come quickly at the next level but that remains to be seen. Hopefully we get to see that in orange.

I've never seen him play but it seems to me that he must have that intangible quality called leadership based on two factors. He has a history of success and has needed to take responsibility for his HS team scoring. It's not always easy to take 25-30 shots in a game especially if they aren't dropping right away. Secondly, he's been a QB...which also means he's willing to be the "guy" when it comes to his team. I like that character trait a lot...he has the cajones (sp?) to accept his role as the leader.

Only danger with that type of player is that frustration can set in if success doesn't come quickly at the next level but that remains to be seen. Hopefully we get to see that in orange.

Although Joe is not as tall as most of our recent guards, he is not a midget he is a bit over 6'1" and may still grow a bit. He is a better shooter than any of our recent guards. I do not know if he will start immediately or even play much year 1 time will tell. He is a kid I want on the team.
Picture a guy that gets the kickout pass and can make 50% of his threes. He may not be great at man defense, but when was the last time we played man, he will be fine in the zone. He may not be a premier athlete, but he is not unathletic, and has demonstrated leadership qualities. All he needs to do is play within his capabilities, give great effort, be a good team player and listen to the coaches and he will be successful and contribute to team success, which in the end is what we all desire.
I hope he decides to play here.

Although Joe is not as tall as most of our recent guards, he is not a midget he is a bit over 6'1" and may still grow a bit. He is a better shooter than any of our recent guards. I do not know if he will start immediately or even play much year 1 time will tell. He is a kid I want on the team.
Picture a guy that gets the kickout pass and can make 50% of his threes. He may not be great at man defense, but when was the last time we played man, he will be fine in the zone. He may not be a premier athlete, but he is not unathletic, and has demonstrated leadership qualities. All he needs to do is play within his capabilities, give great effort, be a good team player and listen to the coaches and he will be successful and contribute to team success, which in the end is what we all desire.
I hope he decides to play here.
50% of his threes? That would have made him the second best 3-point shooter in all of college basketball last year. It would also make him the best 3-point shooter in NCAA history over a career... by 3 percentage points.

Only 11 players have ever averaged over 40% on three pointers in Syracuse history.

Let's not go crazy here. That's why people thought Trevor Cooney "sucked" at the end of his career despite him being very good.

50% of his threes? That would have made him the second best 3-point shooter in all of college basketball last year. It would also make him the best 3-point shooter in NCAA history over a career... by 3 percentage points.

Only 11 players have ever averaged over 40% on three pointers in Syracuse history.

Let's not go crazy here. That's why people thought Trevor Cooney "sucked" at the end of his career despite him being very good.
And thats what you got out of my post, nitpick or what? Okay 40%, does that make you feel better? By the way I said can make not will make on every occasion, there is a difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors