Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Girard did shoot 37% from 3 in AAU outside of peach jam and was over 40% last year with Buddy on the team. 4 games shouldn't outweigh 40.

He's narrowed down to a top 5 so why would I be talking about any of his other offers?
He has a top 6...so "most" to you is 2 out of 6...1/3 is considered most are recruiting him as a backup? C'mon man. Penn state, BC, and ND as well as us are probably recruiting him as a backup too right?

He needs to lose the caterpillar on his chin and go for the Rico look. It worked well for Lydon and I think JG3 could pull it off too.

I see a kid with a quick release hitting all wide open 3’s. There’s no defense played on him to drive and barely any on him to shoot in this clip.

I see a kid with a quick release hitting all wide open 3’s. There’s no defense played on him to drive and barely any on him to shoot in this clip.

Yeah, I hope we grab him but that is a big concern for me. We don't do a great job creating open looks for shooters consistently. The best guys we've had have either been able to shoot well off screens (Rautins), create opportunities for themselves (GMac and Devo) or hit contested shots (Devo, White, Nichols). The only spot up shooters that really thrived here, that I can remember, were Janulis (who only shot when wide open) and Shump (who was a very smart basketball player and moved well without the ball).

We've had some nice shooting seasons as a team -- the 09-10 team was super efficient from three, the team two years ago shot the ball well with White/Gillon/Battle/Lydon. But as a general rule we've been spotty in terms of consistently creating open looks.

So Girard would be a great add and I'm sure will be successful here but the one concern is that he's going to have to work a lot harder to get open shots (that probably is true of just about anyone. Not the end of the world but it's hard not to notice how open he is in all those clips.

Just out of curiosity... a few questions...

1. Do you think we offered JG3 because landing him will help with Stewart or do you think we'd have offered if he had no ties to Stewart?

2. Do you think we have any chance at landing BOTH players (Girard and Stewart)?

3. Do you think JG3 will come to SU?

4. Do you view JG3 as a PG or SG in the SU system?

5. Do you think he's capable of playing at the top of the zone on defense against P5 competition?

6. Do you think he's a legitimate 6'2" or perhaps he's closer to 6'?

7. Assuming we land Girard what are your expectations for his 4 year career?

My answers:
1. Yes i think we offered him to help land Stewart. I'm unsure if we would offer him without the ties to Stewart.
2. No, I think we miss with Stewart.
3. Yes I think he's Orange.
4. PG (too short for SG)... more likely instant offense of the bench.
5. Unsure
6. I think he's closer to 6'
7. I think he'll see minimal playing time as a freshman. I think he'll be a super sub/instant offense as a sophomore and junior, and a solid starter/fan favorite as a senior.

I do believe helping to land Stewart is an added bonus, but if you watched our complete inability to consistently make jump shots last year, I think we all know exactly why JG3 was offered.

We cant shoot and need to add different looks to our currently non dynamic offense

Just out of curiosity... a few questions...

1. Do you think we offered JG3 because landing him will help with Stewart or do you think we'd have offered if he had no ties to Stewart?

2. Do you think we have any chance at landing BOTH players (Girard and Stewart)?

3. Do you think JG3 will come to SU?

4. Do you view JG3 as a PG or SG in the SU system?

5. Do you think he's capable of playing at the top of the zone on defense against P5 competition?

6. Do you think he's a legitimate 6'2" or perhaps he's closer to 6'?

7. Assuming we land Girard what are your expectations for his 4 year career?

My answers:
1. Yes i think we offered him to help land Stewart. I'm unsure if we would offer him without the ties to Stewart.
2. No, I think we miss with Stewart.
3. Yes I think he's Orange.
4. PG (too short for SG)... more likely instant offense of the bench.
5. Unsure
6. I think he's closer to 6'
7. I think he'll see minimal playing time as a freshman. I think he'll be a super sub/instant offense as a sophomore and junior, and a solid starter/fan favorite as a senior.
Relationship to Stewart doesn’t hurt but Stewart will be a wildcat and 6 ft Joe an Orangeman who will get open looks due to double teams needed elsewhere and defense is big question mark joe seems very savvy to me as most quarterbacks are and translates to the court

Relationship to Stewart doesn’t hurt but Stewart will be a wildcat and 6 ft Joe an Orangeman who will get open looks due to double teams needed elsewhere and defense is big question mark joe seems very savvy to me as most quarterbacks are and translates to the court
I hadn't thought about his QB experience. I hope his savvy will translate. I think he's similar to Gmac. IQ and heart are certainly intangibles. I want him to be successful. It'd be a load of fun to have an upstate guy excel. We thought we had that with DC until his knees gave out.

I thought it might be a way to encapsulate people's views without scanning through the entire thread since it's an interesting topic with varying opinions. Don't partake if you don't want to, but you don't have to be a jerk about it.
It was more like pointing out the obvious than being a jerkoff.

It was more like pointing out the obvious than being a jerkoff.
This thread is 77 pages long, and many people have changed their views on JG3. I, myself, have wavered. I wanted us to offer because we need shooters, but I've vacillated in my opinion on whether he can play in our zone. I was also curious how many people thought we offered to try to land Stewart, and how many people felt the offer would've been given without that relationship to Stewart. I think his height is exaggerated too. But despite all that... I still want to land him. He's a fun player.

This thread is 77 pages long, and many people have changed their views on JG3. I, myself, have wavered. I wanted us to offer because we need shooters, but I've vacillated in my opinion on whether he can play in our zone. I was also curious how many people thought we offered to try to land Stewart, and how many people felt the offer would've been given without that relationship to Stewart. I think his height is exaggerated too. But despite all that... I still want to land him. He's a fun player.
We have always needed shooters so jg was always a must have since day 1 imo. I never thought he was coming because how late we were to offer but it seems it wasn’t an issue for him. I dont think Stewart comes here just because jg might commit or not. If he comes here it’s because of one hell of an effort on his recruitment imo.

Interview from Detoit paper. This has video and then some quotes in print that were not in the video.

“‘Cuse is the hometown school,” Girard said. “They’ve done a good job with players like me, as well, with (assistant coach Gerry McNamara). He always calls me a few times a week, too, just tells me that there’s really no better person to learn from with him — a guy who played like me. He’s been through it, he knows how to help me and he knows how to help my game to produce at the next level.”

Girard said the Blue Devils view him as a “glue guy.” “They’re going to get the one-and-done five-stars and people like that,” he said. “But every year, they’re going to need somebody to rally those guys around and I’m going to be a multi-year player. That’s how they see me.”

Interview from Detoit paper. This has video and then some quotes in print that were not in the video.

“‘Cuse is the hometown school,” Girard said. “They’ve done a good job with players like me, as well, with (assistant coach Gerry McNamara). He always calls me a few times a week, too, just tells me that there’s really no better person to learn from with him — a guy who played like me. He’s been through it, he knows how to help me and he knows how to help my game to produce at the next level.”

Girard said the Blue Devils view him as a “glue guy.” “They’re going to get the one-and-done five-stars and people like that,” he said. “But every year, they’re going to need somebody to rally those guys around and I’m going to be a multi-year player. That’s how they see me.”
Glue guy? Like keeping the chairs on the bench glued to the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom