Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Buddy's skill set will surprise folks. I think he'll do well here. But outside of shooting, I don't see the similarities to Joe at all. Buddy's not a point guard.

That said, IMO Joe is not a make it or break it recruit. I'd still love to land him because he's an upstate guy, intelligent, gritty, and a fun player to watch. It shouldn't be too long, and we'll know what his choice is.
Buddy is going to play shooting forward more than he plays SG, but in any case it is never a bad thing to have more knock down shooters/scorers.

I agree that Buddy's skill set will surprise folks. I think he'll do well here. But outside of shooting, I don't see the similarities to Joe at all. Buddy's not a point guard.

That said, IMO Joe is not a make it or break it recruit. I'd still love to land him because he's an upstate guy, intelligent, gritty, and a fun player to watch. It shouldn't be too long, and we'll know what his choice is.

Goodine is the PG and Carey has lead guard skills as well.. Another reason why Girard is probably pausing.

Goodine is the PG and Carey has lead guard skills as well.. Another reason why Girard is probably pausing.
yep. kids are smart. they can see the roster as well as we can, and they have usually played with and/or against the guys they are likely to be in competition with for pt. jgiii probably knows buddy, goodine, carey well - all his likely comp except for hughes. and he knows that one of the qs (quincy or quinones) might be on the roster, too. yes, some of them will find time at the 3. and, no, not all of them can play the point. but still, he will have to have confidence in his ability to carve out pt among that group.

my impression from a distance is that he has that kind of confidence, but on the other hand, if he decides to take an easier path to pt somewhere else, i'll understand it.

I hope the coaching staff has some kind of internal deadline for a verbal from Girard. At some point, you have to make an offer to someone else so we don’t get burned like we have in the past. I hope he commits soon.

That assumes that we intend to use all available scholarships and we’re holding off offering someone else.

Knockdown shooters arent knockdown shooters when they’re playing 3 on 5.

Frank and Battles will improve significantly this year percentage wise. Feel free to screenshot this.
Frank career from 3: 31%
Battle career from 3: 34%
I agree that with better spacing those numbers will improve, but even if they get a bump both are average shooters at best. Still need more snipers. For reference, Villanova had SIX guys shoot 38% or better from deep. We had ONE who shot better than 33%...

I agree that with better spacing those numbers will improve, but even if they get a bump both are average shooters at best. Still need more snipers. For reference, Villanova had SIX guys shoot 38% or better from deep. We had ONE who shot better than 33%...

Frank shot 37 percent in ACC play last year.
Brissett 38%.

Battle ehh you're right about.

Goodine is not a PG he is an SG, now anyone can be put at point but that is not his projected position at this time.

Last edited:
He played PG in AAU this summer and he's playing it in high school this year.
Like I said anyone can be put at point. We shall see how it goes but he is not a true point in my opinion.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Brissett, Frank, Hughes and Boeheim all over 35% this year. Battle depends on volume, I’ve not heard enough about Jalen Carey’s perimeter game or Hw’s recovery yet.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Brissett, Frank, Hughes and Boeheim all over 35% this year. Battle depends on volume, I’ve not heard enough about Jalen Carey’s perimeter game or Hw’s recovery yet.
That's great if they all improve, but 35% isn't an amazing threshold, those would be pretty average numbers. Again, most top level teams have multiple guys closer to the 40% mark. It'd be great for us to have a few of them for a change

Goodine is not a PG he is an SG, now anyone can be put at point but that is not his projected position at this time. Carey is the only true PG.

Not sure I agree with that. Neither is an Ennis type true true PG and Carey has played much less PG than Goodine. In AAU between their junior and senior seasons, Goodine played mostly PG and was getting 3, 4, 5 assists usually. Think I saw 6 once or twice too. Don’t know what he averaged. Carey payed some PG but was usually getting 0 or 1 assist. That’s not a knock on him but he’s predominantly a scorer. He’s going to be a great player and has a great handle and gets to the basket with ease. But it’s all to score, not set up his teammates. Like some have said, his skill set is similar to Waiters. There’s also the mental aspect of knowing where your teammates are and where each player likes to get the ball. We can’t judge either of them on that yet.

But I’m glad we have both. I think they’ll both be very very good to great players. Time will tell who will be the best option at PG (though they can and will play together on the court next year). But I don’t think right now you can just say Goodine is a SG and Carey is a true PG.

Frank shot 37 percent in ACC play last year.
Brissett 38%.

Battle ehh you're right about.
I kinda cringe when Oshae launches a three. I prefer him driving the basket but then when he makes the 3 I’m surprised

I cringed way more when attacked the rim, then contorted his body at the rim and missed a million layups! His shooting mid range and out didn't even worry me all that much.
Yeah but gets to line and makes em

He shot better from 3 than he did from 2 in Conference play. It wasn't close either.
But for some crazy reason I still want the ball in his hands. He was new and excited and sometimes looked like a chicken without a head. His rebounding is mind blowing

Not sure I agree with that. Neither is an Ennis type true true PG and Carey has played much less PG than Goodine. In AAU between their junior and senior seasons, Goodine played mostly PG and was getting 3, 4, 5 assists usually. Think I saw 6 once or twice too. Don’t know what he averaged. Carey payed some PG but was usually getting 0 or 1 assist. That’s not a knock on him but he’s predominantly a scorer. He’s going to be a great player and has a great handle and gets to the basket with ease. But it’s all to score, not set up his teammates. Like some have said, his skill set is similar to Waiters. There’s also the mental aspect of knowing where your teammates are and where each player likes to get the ball. We can’t judge either of them on that yet.

But I’m glad we have both. I think they’ll both be very very good to great players. Time will tell who will be the best option at PG (though they can and will play together on the court next year). But I don’t think right now you can just say Goodine is a SG and Carey is a true PG.
Like I said anyone can be put at point, and sometimes they do okay, not a knock on any player. Just a projection of probables. Is/was Frank a point? My opinion is no, but that is where he has ended up for good or bad.

Yeah but gets to line and makes em
Yeah, which is why I want to see him finish better through contact, and not try to avoid it so much. He left quite a few points off the board. I fully expect him to be much more aggressive this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom