Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said anyone can be put at point, and sometimes they do okay, not a knock on any player. Just a projection of probables. Is/was Frank a point? My opinion is no, but that is where he has ended up for good or bad.
Frank’s a point guard that excels in finding open shooters.

Last year’s issue was we forced him to change to be an iso scorer and volume shooter because there were no open shooters.

I think this year we’ll be great because Frank can be Frank, jalen can develop further as a scorer, and our more polished scorers can keep scoring with few double team threats.

The hope is, now, any time someone doubles Tyus or Oshae that Marek/Bourama/Elijah/Buddy/whoever will be assertive and aware enough to take advantage of their open looks

It’s why i believe Elijah and Marek will be deadly this year

Like I said anyone can be put at point, and sometimes they do okay, not a knock on any player. Just a projection of probables. Is/was Frank a point? My opinion is no, but that is where he has ended up for good or bad.

What makes you say Carey is a true PG? He’s played there little and hadn’t shown those skills yet.

Not sure I agree with that. Neither is an Ennis type true true PG and Carey has played much less PG than Goodine. In AAU between their junior and senior seasons, Goodine played mostly PG and was getting 3, 4, 5 assists usually. Think I saw 6 once or twice too. Don’t know what he averaged. Carey payed some PG but was usually getting 0 or 1 assist. That’s not a knock on him but he’s predominantly a scorer. He’s going to be a great player and has a great handle and gets to the basket with ease. But it’s all to score, not set up his teammates. Like some have said, his skill set is similar to Waiters. There’s also the mental aspect of knowing where your teammates are and where each player likes to get the ball. We can’t judge either of them on that yet.

But I’m glad we have both. I think they’ll both be very very good to great players. Time will tell who will be the best option at PG (though they can and will play together on the court next year). But I don’t think right now you can just say Goodine is a SG and Carey is a true PG.

The number one ability the point guard must have is ability to bring the ball up(handle) under pressure. Does either player give you confidence they can do this? I remember a recent player who was pretty highly rated and a "point" who could not do this task and as a result is no longer here.
My main idea was it is not appropriate to be saying Goodine wil be the point at this juncture. I am not really trying to knock or anoint any player at this time. It is not possible to say for sure that someone will play point, and that is all just my opinion.

Last year’s issue was we forced him to change to be an iso scorer and volume shooter because there were no open shooters.

I think this year we’ll be great because Frank can be Frank, jalen can develop further as a scorer, and our more polished scorers can keep scoring with few double team threats.

The hope is, now, any time someone doubles Tyus or Oshae that Marek/Bourama/Elijah/Buddy/whoever will be assertive and aware enough to take advantage of their open looks

Frank is not now and never was a true point guard, he has been put in that role and has finally become fairly competent at it, however it is not his natural position. The failure of Kaleb Joseph to fulfill that role forced Frank into that position, combined with the fact that we had scholarship limits. You have a short memory if you do not remember his struggles earlier in his time here.

Not sure I agree with that. Neither is an Ennis type true true PG and Carey has played much less PG than Goodine. In AAU between their junior and senior seasons, Goodine played mostly PG and was getting 3, 4, 5 assists usually. Think I saw 6 once or twice too. Don’t know what he averaged. Carey payed some PG but was usually getting 0 or 1 assist. That’s not a knock on him but he’s predominantly a scorer. He’s going to be a great player and has a great handle and gets to the basket with ease. But it’s all to score, not set up his teammates. Like some have said, his skill set is similar to Waiters. There’s also the mental aspect of knowing where your teammates are and where each player likes to get the ball. We can’t judge either of them on that yet.

But I’m glad we have both. I think they’ll both be very very good to great players. Time will tell who will be the best option at PG (though they can and will play together on the court next year). But I don’t think right now you can just say Goodine is a SG and Carey is a true PG.

The number one ability the point guard must have is ability to bring the ball up(handle) under pressure. Does either player give you confidence they can do this? I remember a recent player who was pretty highly rated and a "point" who could not do this task and as a result is no longer here.
My main idea was it is not appropriate to be saying Goodine wil be the point at this juncture. I am not really trying to knock or anoint any player at this time. It is not possible to say for sure that someone will play point, and that is all just my opinion.

Frank is not now and never was a true point guard, he has been put in that role and has finally become fairly competent at it, however it is not his natural position. The failure of Kaleb Joseph to fulfill that role forced Frank into that position, combined with the fact that we had scholarship limits. You have a short memory if you do not remember his struggles earlier in his time here.
What makes you say Carey is a true PG? He’s played there little and hadn’t shown those skills yet.
I should not have, my point was that Goodine should not be designated the PG. Neither should Carey. Classic case of me overstating.

Howard Washington is a true point guard

I should not have, my point was that Goodine should not be designated the PG. Neither should Carey. Classic case of me overstating.

I don't understand the point of your argument - seems like semantics.

If Girard is looking at the Syracuse roster for 2019, he is going to see the name of Brycen Goodine, who is being recruited by Syracuse as a point guard. Will Goodine end up at SG? Perhaps. But it doesn't change the fact that Goodine is currently a point guard.

Edit: I should add that it is somewhat irrelevant. If Girard and Goodine were on the floor together, which one is the point doesn't really matter. They are both guards.

Nooooooooo , not anyone can be put at pg, that’s the furthest from reality as it exists!!!

There was a time where I (and probably many others) didn’t have confidence in Z Sims’ ability to bring the ball up against pressure. He ended up being a steady PG and floor leader as a senior on a national runner up.

I would agree that Howard’s handle is not great for a PG. I think it can be adequate...I have a bigger concern with the mental part. He can lose his composure and get in his own head at times - my observation.

If he can get past that being that he’s a senior now, that will go a long way. He’s shown at times that he’s got the court vision to play an effective PG. if he can just hold it together and be steady and reliable out there, he’ll have a solid senior year.

I expect Washington will be gone after this year. That’s just based off odd man out

I expect Washington will be gone after this year. That’s just based off odd man out
Don’t be surprised if Washington stays around. He will show that he will be a steady ball player that helps the team once he recovers from his injury.

jb has recruited all three of howard, carey and goodine as pgs. and now jgiii, but what does that old fossil know

Please stop posting Joe Girard III information in the Joe Girard III recruiting thread. You'll confuse everybody posting about other crap.

giphy.gif

Agree that the coverage that Water and Donna are providing can only help and show that he could really be a legend if he stays in NY. Be great to get him to a Football game this fall too as it appears they tried last year.

Who said he was supposed to make a decision before school started back up again?? Well it’s almost time..

jb has recruited all three of howard, carey and goodine as pgs. and now jgiii, but what does that old fossil know

JB has recruited them as guards not necessarily point guards, although he may choose one or two to play that position. The old fossil, like me, as been around long enough to know you can not tell until you see them in practice and game situations where a player will best help the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom