Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read too any people on here that don't think he's worth the 13th scholarship, kid can flat our shoot the ball and you don't tell those kids to go away. I've asked this before...and JB has said he thinks he's a capable SU player, but doesn't know the workings of our roster yet, but does he want to be the 13th scholarship and be buried on anyone's bench? Or would he rather go somewhere where he'll get more playing time. We can't just assume every local kid is just biting at the bit to play for SU. We still need a PG to get him the ball in places to get these shots off, or it won't matter how good of a shooter he is!
He will go high level somewhere. If he doesn't get a Cuse offer it's a shame. Whether he says yes to it or not is an entirely different topic.

I'll interject that the coaching staff doesn't recruit based upon hypotheticals. Jimmer has zero to do with Girard, nor should he.
I didn't say Jimmer has anything to do with Girard. I said they way defenses react to effective shooters on the court, has to do with Girard. What do you mean the staff doesn't recruit based upon hypotheticals? Recruiting, at it's basic form, IS hypothetical. Coaches like JB look at a HS player like Carmelo and think "hypothetically, could this kid score 20ppg in the Big East? Hypothetically, could we turn Mike Gbinije into a PG? Hypothetically, could Chukwu put on 40 lbs and be an effective ACC center in 2-3 years?

I'm confused - he's played AAU correct? Held his own? The all-time leading scorer thing in Sect II is a bit misleading because as you mentioned those kids played either Class D or at best Class C, and probably (like Girardi) played 4 or 5 years of varsity. He may not have played at Shen but Giardi's league is definitely a higher level than any D or C school. Many NYSPHSAA big school hot shots have not excelled at the next level (anyone remember Greg Koubek? Paulus, Josh Wright), so I'm not sure level of play matters when your talking about 20 games. Huerter is definitely better, Cremo maybe too, and Jimmer IMHO was definitely better, but I think what Girardi is doing will result in him getting offers that compare to SU.

I responded to a query about the level of competition Girard is exposed to. It's not good. What's confusing? Like I said, i dont have a problem with Syracuse offering, but it's not my call. The premier programs, despite the numbers, have not offered. I only suggested that putting up numbers against better comp may help him there.

I haven't read too any people on here that don't think he's worth the 13th scholarship, kid can flat our shoot the ball and you don't tell those kids to go away. I've asked this before...and JB has said he thinks he's a capable SU player, but doesn't know the workings of our roster yet, but does he want to be the 13th scholarship and be buried on anyone's bench? Or would he rather go somewhere where he'll get more playing time. We can't just assume every local kid is just biting at the bit to play for SU. We still need a PG to get him the ball in places to get these shots off, or it won't matter how good of a shooter he is!

I agree with this... but to pacify the masses AND show Joe that he is wanted... he first must be offered. I'm of the opinion this should be a no-brainer. The kid deserves a shot. If he goes elsewhere that can guarantee more PT than so be it... at least we offered. But to not offer would be insane.

Not good, particularly this year it seems. A few years back, Scotia ran out some pretty good teams (I think both during and after Joe Cremo, who is a baller).

For some perspective on the scoring piece, Section II's all-time leader was a kid under 6'0" tall, who is currently average like 7 pts per game at Utica College. The kid he just passed was a nice player, but he was a bench warmer at UMBC, transferred to Bard, and is now at a D-II school. Both of these kids played for tiny High Schools.

From a personal standpoint, I was like the 10th man for a Suburban Council winning team (we played 8 kids, you get the point). During summer league, before the City Rocks really took off, we would play the local B, C, D "schools' teams" including Glens Falls, and there is not a one that I wouldnt have started at, played significantly, and averaged double figures for.

Now dont get me wrong, Girard would have absolutely lit me up, but that's an indicator of how weak his comp is. My suspicion is he needs a good AAU circuit this summer and/or some camp hype (like Huerter) and/or a transfer (like Platek) to get offers better offers.

I can't remember whether Lydon was offered out of Pine Plains, or whether he transferred to New Hampton first?
I believe Lydon got the offer after the elite camp right when he was starting at New Hampton so more or less the end of the summer between PP and Hampton.

Joe Girard with his third straight 50 point game in a win vs Schuylerville in which he becomes the Section II all time leading scorer. Girard has twelve 3 pointers in the game.
James Allen‏ @TUSidelines 7m7 minutes ago
Joseph Girard III drops in 50 on Schuylerville to pass Kobe Lufkin (Argyle) as the all-time leading scorer in Section II history, helping Glens Falls prevail 81-64.

Girard sets Section II record

Last edited:
920x920.jpg

Frustrating to see this kid light it up game after game and JB won't offer him. We need offense and some shooters.

I understand the athleticism point, but one thing is interesting: if JG were on our roster today, based on the way we're being defended in the ACC, he could stand at the 3pt line and hit threes in street shoes.

Last edited:
Joe Girard III goes for 59 on Friday night

I know this goes in the other forum but not everyone reads that. This kid is doing things no one else has ever done. 59 tonight, including 11 threes. Four straight games of 50 or more. We need to get this kid an offer.

James Allen‏ @TUSidelines 2m2 minutes ago
5-0, 5-0, off to work he goes: Joseph Girard III scores 50 points or more for the fourth straight game to lead Glens Falls past Broadalbin-Perth 104-71 in Foothills Council play. The junior guard tallied 59 points, upping his career total to 2,741 points.

Joseph Girard III tops 50 for fourth straight game

But, but, but, he’s not good for the zone!! :cool:
If we don’t offer this kid it’s an epic miss. Kid can shoot. We have none that can. Seems like a fit.

I know this goes in the other forum but not everyone reads that. This kid is doing things no one else has ever done. 59 tonight, including 11 threes. Four straight games of 50 or more. We need to get this kid an offer.

5-0, 5-0, off to work he goes: Joseph Girard III scores 50 points or more for the fourth straight game to lead Glens Falls past Broadalbin-Perth 104-71 in Foothills Council play. The junior guard tallied 59 points, upping his career total to 2,741 points.

Hate for this to turn into a jimmer situation.

Joe Girard III goes for 59 on Friday night

11 threes, he's like a video game! Offer the man. Consistently hits outside shots. I don't care if he's shooting over ants. That's a truckload of points.

Could be one of those kids we look back on in a few years and remember this thread , if he doesn't get offer

There is ALWAYS a place for guys who can shoot

I would call him Joe Girard Junior the Third.

simple question - where is the offer for the kid? ridiculous, there is no reason not to offer him

11 threes, he's like a video game! Offer the man. Consistently hits outside shots. I don't care if he's shooting over ants. That's a truckload of points.
Right. It's not like he is a 7 footer playing with 6 footers. He's scoring these baskets from 20 foot. With someone guarding him.

I'm all for offering this kid...

I keep reminding myself that JB has seen him play a lot over the last couple of years and has access to "scouting reports" from a very close source. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out since the dad is on record saying JB told them they “are trying to figure out who they have coming back and sorting out roster spots for 2019 now.”

I'm all for offering this kid...

I keep reminding myself that JB has seen him play a lot over the last couple of years and has access to "scouting reports" from a very close source. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out since the dad is on record saying JB told them they “are trying to figure out who they have coming back and sorting out roster spots for 2019 now.”
We've had great success with City Rocks kids in the past, so we shall see.

We've had great success with City Rocks kids in the past, so we shall see.

I know that they've pegged Goodine as a point, but couldn't he be a 2?

Looking more and more like the issue is that they only want to take 2 guards in the class of 2019. We've already landed one, and it looks like they're prioritizing Battle more than Girard for the second spot.

I know that they've pegged Goodine as a point, but couldn't he be a 2?

Looking more and more like the issue is that they only want to take 2 guards in the class of 2019. We've already landed one, and it looks like they're prioritizing Battle more than Girard for the second spot.

Goodine can play either guard spot for sure. Right now, he plays more like a 2 but he's developing his lead guard skills.

Like others, I'm not confident Khalif comes to SU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom