Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article on Girardi in Glens Falls paper today on playing and excelling at both football and hoops. I'm too inept to post link.

Ha true - have you seen him play football? Is he even FCS level?
The kid is a winner and he has already gotten FCS and FBS coaches contacting him for football so I would guess that if he wanted to go with football he would go the FBS route. I would think he would choose hoops, but you never know.

He's small and stiff (not a fluid athlete). But if there is an extra scholly, he's worthy imo as an Upstate kid who can really shoot it. The team is missing that this year. Can't help but think the elder Boeheim, as a walk-on, would have been able to carve out a niche on this team.

That will be the trade off when Buddy is on the floor. Still, taking him is a no brainer (not suggesting you are saying otherwise). Buddy won't play low on 2-3 at SU
We saw the same trade off with Huerter in the SU-Maryland game Monday night. Huerter (a knock-down shooter) impacted the game significantly even though he couldn't stay in front of Howard or Battle. They'd get by him and score inside or dish (2) and then he'd come down the court and bang one in from 28 feet (3). That doesn't necessarily mean that JG should be a recruiting priority, however. He's no where near Huerter's size, or Buddy's for that matter. And at 6'1", he's certainly not an ideal fit for SU as he's small for the zone and might not have the handle/athleticism necessary to play point or defend ACC guards. I just wanted to comment on the defense-shooter trade off, which is worth it if the recruit is tall enough and athletic enough to play in the ACC.

Last edited:
We saw the same trade off with Huerter in the SU-Maryland game Monday night. Huerter (a knock-down shooter) impacted the game significantly even though he couldn't stay in front of Howard or Battle. They'd get by him and score inside or dish (2) and then he'd come down the court and bang one in from 28 feet (3). That doesn't necessarily mean that JG should be a recruiting priority, however. He's no where near Huerter's size, or Buddy's for that matter. And at 6'1", he's certainly not an ideal fit for SU as he's small for the zone and might not have the handle/athleticism necessary to play point or defend ACC guards. I just wanted to comment on the defense-shooter trade off, which is worth it if the recruit is tall enough and athletic enough to play in the ACC.
JGIII with 46 last night. Can we just offer and sign this kid. The number of scholarships is never going to be an issue at Syracuse.
Girard scores 46 to power Glens Falls, move up Section II list

What's the level of competition in his Section?
Only 44 points tonight for Girard including nine 3 pointers. He is playing against Class B teams and obviously dominating whatever defenses they are throwing at him.
Game summary

Which always makes me think of when current Siena coach, Jimmy Patsos, coached at Loyola vs Steph Curry in 2008 and held him scoreless on three shots by playing a triangle and two. Curry didn't score but Davidson still won by 30 points. Not sure if teams have played any special defenses on Girard yet, but it hasn't prevented him from scoring 46, 48 and 44 points.

Loyola’s Strategy Fails, but It Holds Davidson’s Curry Scoreless

Only 44 points tonight for Girard including nine 3 pointers. He is playing against Class B teams and obviously dominating whatever defenses they are throwing at him.
Game summary

Which always makes me think of when current Siena coach, Jimmy Patsos, coached at Loyola vs Steph Curry in 2008 and held him scoreless on three shots by playing a triangle and two. Curry didn't score but Davidson still won by 30 points. Not sure if teams have played any special defenses on Girard yet, but it hasn't prevented him from scoring 46, 48 and 44 points.

Loyola’s Strategy Fails, but It Holds Davidson’s Curry Scoreless

Until he plays against better teams, I can't take these point totals at face value. If he were Downstate, he'd be legit.

Three point shooters don’t have to great athletes and score against NYC players. Look at Cornell! SU would love to have that kid that shoots 50%+ threes( although today and not because of our vaunted zone he shot poorly). That being the case he has done very well against high caliber AAU teams. I think if we didn’t recruit Buddy B. He’d get a serious offer from SU. But I think he’s Belein bound.

Until he plays against better teams, I can't take these point totals at face value. If he were Downstate, he'd be legit.

I’ve seen him play. Watched him jack about 50 shots. Didn’t see many passes.

You guys are all missing the point; we need to sign him so that he doesn't go to Vermont.

This. He's the type of player who would average 30 against us, and 4 against the other ACC teams.

I'm skeptical about his athleticism. Kid has been a gym rat forever though, which explain his prodigious shooting skills. If we have an extra scholly, i'd be ok with offering. We need a few kids that can just come off the bench and light it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom