Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
is he less athletic than Jimmer?
I had dinner with someone from the Albany area last night who is involved with High School sports and he told me that Girard is getting serious interest as a football player and has an offer from TCU to play both sports. Says he is now 6'2 and still growing. Also said the connection with Beilein is solid and would expect an offer from Michigan is forthcoming.

the kid is a leader, im not sure he is a Div 1 QB though. Throwing for 100 a game in HS against Class B kids doesnt lead to me to believe he has that level in him. he could grow to 6-4 and surprise.. has anyone seen any football game film?

is he less athletic than Jimmer?

IMO, yes. He's more stiff. I think he is a little slighter also.

Full disclosure - I have not seen him play this year and am basing this of what I saw from AAU tapes last spring.

Last edited:
James Allen‏ @TUSidelines 23h23 hours ago
Glens Falls junior guard Joseph Girard III, taking an unofficial visit to Boston College today (he has an offer and was wearing a BC sweatshirt behind the bench), watches the Eagles upset No. 1 ranked Duke 89-84. ... An enjoyable journey indeed.

Couple of thoughts - 1) Jimmer was not a horrific athlete. I''m not sure the question about girardi being a better athlete than Jimmer is a shot at the latter, but he was not a horrible athlete. Girardi is just short - he could hang athletically, especially when you factor in his smarts and what his role would be - hit bombs when open. He reminds me a lot of Paulus but a better shooter, though Paulus was a better QB.

I had dinner with someone from the Albany area last night who is involved with High School sports and he told me that Girard is getting serious interest as a football player and has an offer from TCU to play both sports. Says he is now 6'2 and still growing. Also said the connection with Beilein is solid and would expect an offer from Michigan is forthcoming.

I don't believe either is true - TCU football offer or 6-2. He recently picked up a football offer from a school like Fordham but that's the only level of football interest I'm hearing. I'll find out for sure though.

I don't believe either is true - TCU football offer or 6-2. He recently picked up a football offer from a school like Fordham but that's the only level of football interest I'm hearing. I'll find out for sure though.
Yeah seems suspect. I mentioned that I thought it was strange that he's not on SU's radar for football as far as I knew and he said he heard SU was sniffing around.

Couple of thoughts - 1) Jimmer was not a horrific athlete. I''m not sure the question about girardi being a better athlete than Jimmer is a shot at the latter, but he was not a horrible athlete. Girardi is just short - he could hang athletically, especially when you factor in his smarts and what his role would be - hit bombs when open. He reminds me a lot of Paulus but a better shooter, though Paulus was a better QB.
One thing he has going for him is that he gets his shot off quick.

This is the exact thing we are missing now. A pure 3 point shooter. If we don't sign one we will still be in the same situation next year. We should have enough schollies to get this kid.

Nothing wrong with a little competition. Besides, Buddy comes up limping where are we? A little depth at SG never harmed anyone.
Never a better time to maximize 13 scholarships.

While I understand everyone's want for as many shooters as possible, since we could be lacking consistent shooters in the coming years (depending on recruiting). It says quite a lot that he hasn't been offered, I mean it's not like JB hasn't seen this kid play(he may have caught a few of his AAU games;)).

Let's not forget, JB's recruiting list: 1) does this player fit into my zone defense? 2) Is he athletic enough to fit into my zone defense? 3) does he hustle enough to play in my zone defense? 4) is he tall enough to fit into my zone defense? 5) is he a good offensive player? etc...

I may have mixed these up a bit, but you get the point. Kid can really shoot the ball, and would be a fabulous addition, but not many of us here think the same way JB does. He seems to always have a plan for what he wants, and some kids, just don't fit that.

We've been getting burned by other teams' "Random White Guy" off the bench who goes plaid from 3 for decades now (Hi, Kyle Kuric!)
- would be nice to have one of those on our bench, for once.

Assuming this kid would be happy being bench fodder, and if we're going to have our full allotment of 13 schollies again, why not??

We've been getting burned by other teams' "Random White Guy" off the bench who goes plaid from 3 for decades now (Hi, Kyle Kuric!)

Assuming this kid would be happy being bench fodder, and if we're going to have our full allotment of 13 schollies again, why not??
Jimmer blew up in college to become POY. I'm not saying he is Jimmer but things happen.

I have to agree. I'm not saying he has prototypical SU/ACC size or athleticism, but you're right. The kid can flat out shoot it, and it would be silly to leave a scholly unused and let him go to another team (BC) so he can go off against us!

Last edited:
Jimmer blew up in college to become POY. I'm not saying he is Jimmer but things happen.
Clifton you've been steadily touting this kid and I'm starting to drink the Koolaid. ;)

While I understand everyone's want for as many shooters as possible, since we could be lacking consistent shooters in the coming years (depending on recruiting). It says quite a lot that he hasn't been offered, I mean it's not like JB hasn't seen this kid play(he may have caught a few of his AAU games;)).

Let's not forget, JB's recruiting list: 1) does this player fit into my zone defense? 2) Is he athletic enough to fit into my zone defense? 3) does he hustle enough to play in my zone defense? 4) is he tall enough to fit into my zone defense? 5) is he a good offensive player? etc...

I may have mixed these up a bit, but you get the point. Kid can really shoot the ball, and would be a fabulous addition, but not many of us here think the same way JB does. He seems to always have a plan for what he wants, and some kids, just don't fit that.

So explain how GMAC fit the bill? This kid is a bonafide 2 inches taller and a lot more athletc than Gmac.

So explain how GMAC fit the bill? This kid is a bonafide 2 inches taller and a lot more athletc than Gmac.

Ha, just came here to pose that same question. I knew nothing about GMAC when he was in high school aside from he was ranked in the recruiting rankings and don't know anything about Girard other than what I read about him online. What are the differences between the two? How was GMAC a highly ranked recruit wanted by 'Cuse but Girard isn't? I'm really curious if anyone can shed light on that. They seem like similar players that can really shoot and seem to have similar physical stats on paper.

You're missing the point of my opinion(not pushing it as fact) here. JB knows this kid's game well and for some reason(I don't know why) has not offered.

I am fully on board that this kid deserves a shot...but for some reason, it has not happened. As I said, you can never have enough shooters!(at least as long as the rest of the roster is set!)

But let's look at the other offers out to 2019 guards and I think it's pretty apparent why he's not getting as much love as he should.

Last edited:
JGIII with 60 tonight. I think it’ll be Michigan or Notre Dame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom