Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to question his evaluation process if he watched yesterday’s game. How can anyone in their right mind think we don’t need guards that can put the ball in the basket. This is mind-boggling. I’m already starting to question his motives with his son coming on the team. God forbid if we bring someone in that might shoot better than Buddy. SU currently has three empty scholarships on this team. The management of this roster has been pathetic the past three years. You can blame the sanctions, but that’s also on this staff.

Offer the kid. This the kind of player that will come back and drop 40 us, we need shooters

You think that Goodine, Battle, and Girard can all co-exist on the same team? Someone has to come off the bench.

You think that Goodine, Battle, and Girard can all co-exist on the same team? Someone has to come off the bench.
It’s not like he’s a top-20 talent. I don’t think Girard is a frosh starter on SU. More Rautins than a Battle.

Lots of premier basketball schools manage multiple five & four stars. Can’t do it at SU, though.

It’s not even Girard specifically, but it’s getting tiring to watch a perpetually short shallow roster.

The frustrating part is that we are turning away kids like we are the Cavs. We need all the help we can get. Let them sort it out on the court. Evaluating what ?

Every upset in CBB yesterday had players that come off the bench a hit shots, except SU. He's got to recruit shooters. Last year we had shooters but they were both grad transfers. We will never be a NC again until he has Rautins, McNamara and Cooneys type players.

Last edited:
I have no idea whether this kid is good enough to play here, beyond what's been reported on the board. But as offers begin to accumulate for Girard, it certainly suggests that he's a legit D1 prospect. Hate to miss out on players with high major potential in our own backyard chasing brighter lights.

Every upset in CBB yesterday had players that come off the bench a hit shots, except SU. He's got to recruit shooters. Last year we had shooters but they were both grad transfers. We will never be a NC again until he has Rautins, McNamara and Cooneys type players.
I don't think we need any more Cooneys. A career 33.7% 3-point shooter who couldn't create his own shot or bring the ball up the court against pressure as a 5th year senior. Rautins took 4 years to develop, although I'd take him as a senior 10 times out of time. We can do better. Battle, Goodine, Carey, should be the norm moving forward for SU guards.

I don't think we need any more Cooneys. A career 33.7% 3-point shooter who couldn't create his own shot or bring the ball up the court against pressure as a 5th year senior. Rautins took 4 years to develop, although I'd take him as a senior 10 times out of time. We can do better. Battle, Goodine, Carey, should be the norm moving forward for SU guards.
He isn't Cooney. Cooneys biggest problem was from the neck up. Not suggesting lack of intellect but he lacked assurance and never seemed to get beyond trying to prove himself. JG3 is not as tall, not as athletic, but has big time confidence, he is a legitimate, consistent, deep shooter with a quicker release. We should be delighted to get him. He does duplicate a bit, but is a winner. Yes, I have seen him play.

We complain that we do not have any pure shooters. This guy appears to be one. We complain that we do not have enough ball handlers (at least I make that complaint). The coaching staff have told Jalen Carey that they believe he will be one and done (pretty poor recruiting that inflates a recruit's ego). If this is true, then we will need another guard. Girard can be that player. We did not recruit Jimmer who led the country in scoring. Go for Girard in 2019.

Btw, Jalen Carey is not a playmaking point guard. He is a scorer more than a point.

He is a one-tool player (exemplary in that respect though). That kid is in the gym constantly. My understanding is that Uncle is the coach and has pretty much given Joe the keys to the gym since he was a wee-little one. It wouldnt surprise me if he was pretty much maxed out athletically.

I've seen nothing to change my opinion on him. If there's a slot, offer him. We need a kid who can shoot it. I assume he is both talented and cerebral enough to not hurt the team in other ways.

Kid should have prepped this year. He's not a 6'6" point guard playing for one of the premier programs Upstate (aka Huerter). Platek from Guilderland got a ride to UNC after prepping in the the NEPSAC. Even Hameir Wright had the benefit of playing an independent schedule at Academy. Girard could have benefited from playing against real competition. That Scotia team Glens Falls lost to, lost to Ballston Spa, an average Class AA team by 28 points. This was before my time, but didnt his father jump from the Catholic school in Glens Falls to play at Shen his senior year?

Last edited:
He is a one-tool player (exemplary in that respect though). That kid is in the gym constantly. My understanding is that Uncle is the coach and has pretty much given Joe the keys to the gym since he was a wee-little one. It wouldnt surprise me if he was pretty much maxed out athletically.

I've seen nothing to change my opinion on him. If there's a slot, offer him. We need a kid who can shoot it. I assume he is both talented and cerebral enough to not hurt the team in other ways.

Kid should have prepped this year. He's not a 6'6" point guard playing for one of the premier programs Upstate (aka Huerter). Platek from Guilderland got a ride to UNC after prepping in the the NEPSAC.
Just curious, why do you think he should have prepped as a Junior, besides the fact that he is heads and shoulders better than his league and that he will become the #1 scorer in NYS history. He can always prep next season or as a post graduate which was Huerter's plan originally until he blew up on the court.

Just curious, why do you think he should have prepped as a Junior, besides the fact that he is heads and shoulders better than his league and that he will become the #1 scorer in NYS history. He can always prep next season or as a post graduate which was Huerter's plan originally until he blew up on the court.

True about prepping as a senior, i suppose.

You’re expecting TWO more years from Tyus? Unless you mean Khalif?

Girard is a gamer. He also has what it takes, above the shoulders.

In the Nike EYBL against the nation's best competition and not some small sectional school, he finished fourth in 3pt %, hitting 42 of 94 in 16 games. Averaging just over 10 points a game while probably being the fourth or fifth option on his City Rocks team. Also is a solid free throw shooter. Is a decent passer who has court vision and understands angles and passing lanes. I think some of that has translated over from being a solid Qb for his football team.

Kid is obviously not some one and done, but to me that is not a bad thing. Programs need a few four/five year who can be role players the first few years, with all the kids leaving early these days.

Being a tad short for the zone is certainly true, but the kid is heady and understands the game. I think what he has upstairs, could help makeup a little bit for what he lacks in size.

Somewhat joking, but I almost think this kid jacking it from NBA range all game long might be a better offense than we have been running as of late.

I think it’s hard to have a deep bench at SU because of playing time and when JB did we had multiple transfers. I’m not being critical of JB just my opinion of following team his whole career.

Girard is a gamer. He also has what it takes, above the shoulders.

In the Nike EYBL against the nation's best competition and not some small sectional school, he finished fourth in 3pt %, hitting 42 of 94 in 16 games. Averaging just over 10 points a game while probably being the fourth or fifth option on his City Rocks team. Also is a solid free throw shooter. Is a decent passer who has court vision and understands angles and passing lanes. I think some of that has translated over from being a solid Qb for his football team.

Kid is obviously not some one and done, but to me that is not a bad thing. Programs need a few four/five year who can be role players the first few years, with all the kids leaving early these days.

Being a tad short for the zone is certainly true, but the kid is heady and understands the game. I think what he has upstairs, could help makeup a little bit for what he lacks in size.

Somewhat joking, but I almost think this kid jacking it from NBA range all game long might be a better offense than we have been running as of late.

Can't have a slow, short guard at the top of the zone. If you are going to be short, you need to have the athleticism to compensate for your lack of height.

I'm not saying that Girard is "the guy" or a "must get" by any means, but the notion that we can't fill out the roster to build depth is a stance I reject.

Our teams have been at their best when we've blended high impact caliber recruits around four-year program guys. Players like Brissett and Bazely [for example] have the potential to be NBA players who aren't on campus for long, but guys like Moyer who doesn't have their talent level are often the guys who end up having big impacts throughout their career, and are the "glue" of the team. There's no reason that we can't add a kid like Girard and STILL go after Battle or other higher rated guys in the class of 2019.

And it's not like we don't have the open scholarships. And when you have a roster of guys like Girard in addition to higher rated guys, the cupboard isn't defcon bare when a guy leaves unexpectedly [like Malachi Richardson]. It would be nice to have quality players who can fill in without having to chase emergency 5th year transfers, etc.

Maybe the staff doesn't feel like backcourt depth will be an issue moving forward, with Carey, Boeheim, Washington, and Goodine in the fold. But I'd much rather see 4-5 guys filling the depth chart who can all play, and then let things sort themselves out in practice. I hate to see us scramble to field quality depth year after year. Again, I'm not suggesting that Girard is the guy we absolutely must offer a scholarship to; maybe the staff views him as being duplicative of a guy like Washington, who might end up being a career backup but is a pure lead guard who can also shoot. But it does sound like Girard can fill it up and is a knock down shooter, which is something we certainly lack. And I don't view his size as being as big of an issue for the zone as it might seem on paper -- it's not like we haven't had guards that were more on the smallish size [GMac, Flynn, Scoop, Ennis etc.] and sometimes those guys end up being adequate zone defenders when paired with a bigger guard. ESPECIALLY in the backcourt, I hate sacrificing skill to singularly chase the "length" profile.

Would hate to see this kid end up at Notre Dame or Washington and have a nice career, while we look down our nose.

Girard and Buddy are similar players. I'm wondering if that's a factor.

Are we his dream school or been any news that he is a cuse lean?

Girard and Buddy are similar players. I'm wondering if that's a factor.

Hughes is another player who could factor into the backcourt. It is hard to know whether Battle and / or Brissett will be back next year. I expect Battle to jump and Oshae to come back, but the opposite could be true in both cases. Whatever happens with Battle, we will likely have Frank, Hughes, Carey, Boeheim, and Washington in the backcourt next year -- which is a full compliment and much better depth than we've had in recent years.

The following year [2019], Frank would be gone, Carey might be gone, and Goodine comes in. Again, that would be four and possibly five guards. My opinion only, but my "read" of the situation is that they aren't opposed to Girard, but based upon Boeheim's comments to the kid, they want to add only 1 more guard in the class of 2019, and they are prioritizing others [most likely Khalif Battle]. If Carey comes back for 2019, then we're set at the guard spot. But if he doesn't--or if a player like Howard Washington transfers [and I'm not suggesting that he will, just raising the hypothetical], then we're back down to having maybe 3 or 4 players. At that point, we'd have lost out on Girard and might have to scramble a bit if we want to add another guard.

A lot depends on Battle [next year] and Carey [the following], and whether Hughes can start at 2 [potentially]. Those are the three dominoes that will shape the next two backcourts, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom