Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distance From Glens Falls
Syracuse 158.7 miles 2 hours 24 minutes (google)
Philadelphia 286.3 miles 4 hours 31 minutes (google)

I think it is possible to drive from Glens Falls to Syracuse, eat a dome dog, drive back to Glens Falls and be home before someone else leaving Glens Falls at the same time arrives on the Villanova campus. Traffic is a lot worse heading to Philly.

I think it is possible to drive from Glens Falls to Syracuse, eat a dome dog, drive back to Glens Falls and be home before someone else leaving Glens Falls at the same time arrives on the Villanova campus. Traffic is a lot worse heading to Philly.
Plus, his dad is very familiar with the city of Syracuse, having played at LeMoyne. I hope we offer this kid. I love gym rats.

42 points last night in the sectional semi finals including 9 three pointers. Plays next on Friday night in the battle of two unbeaten teams vs Mekeel Christian.

Saw Mekeel play a bunch this year. They are in the same league as my former HS. Should be a good game.

Plus, his dad is very familiar with the city of Syracuse, having played at LeMoyne. I hope we offer this kid. I love gym rats.
1) We will have 13 scholarships at that point. Absolutely no reason we don't offer this kid.
2) Who are better gym rats than Hop and Gmac. Hopefully the Girard family understand that.
3) Girard plays for the City Rocks. I still feel real good about our chances with any City Rocks player.

Have done it the opposite way to see our son play in concerts there. Even had time to stop at Davidson's before heading back and was in bed in Manlius by midnight.

I think this has been discussed in this thread already, but the whole family also got a good look at the Dome when Joe led Glens Falls to a state championship there in last November. Joe was the starting QB as a sophomore.

There appears to be some debate over what sport he will play in college.

Glens Falls football wins state championship

Saw Mekeel play a bunch this year. They are in the same league as my former HS. Should be a good game.
Mekeel always has good teams. Why are they in the WAC? I know they are small and some religious based schools in Section II are struggling, but they should be in a different league.

Mekeel always has good teams. Why are they in the WAC? I know they are small and some religious based schools in Section II are struggling, but they should be in a different league.

Good question. The WAC is a league of schools that all have to travel quite far(upwards of 60 miles) to play each other and are anywhere from class A to class D. It's a league of misfits. I think possibly Mekeel isn't an A in all sports too.

A couple of responses to some comments I've seen. I would be shocked if he left Glens Falls for a prep school. shocked. I feel pretty strongly saying no way, no how, not ever. Regarding football, he's a good QB, especially for being a young kid, but his future is on the basketball court.

His last game he hit 9 three pointers. I mean it's hard to make nine 3 pointers in a game; at any level. I don't think kids (college or high school) make that many 3 pointers in warm ups.

He can shoot it. We better never hear that other teams like Nova are putting feelers out while we sit on the sideline.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am pretty sure that he did... what is the NYS rule on years playing Varsity now? 4 or does he get a 5th because he played as an 8th grader. Otherwise, wouldn't he prep his Senior year?

I am pretty sure that he did... what is the NYS rule on years playing Varsity now? 4 or does he get a 5th because he played as an 8th grader. Otherwise, wouldn't he prep his Senior year?

That's a rule?

A few of my coaching buddies that have seen him first hand say that he is more of a high mid major D1 type player.. not Cuse material. His numbers are incredible, but he has played a lot of bad teams. Just passing along their evaluations...

A few of my coaching buddies that have seen him first hand say that he is more of a high mid major D1 type player.. not Cuse material. His numbers are incredible, but he has played a lot of bad teams. Just passing along their evaluations...

Except he's a sophomore, playing the same schools that Jimmer Fredette played.

Bad teams (class b athletes) who face guard him and box and one him and he still scores and still bangs down three after three.

Projecting him as an 18 year old senior, if he gets taller, there's no reason to think he can't be a high major P5 kid. My biggest reservation at this point is height, I think he's too short but I think his lateral quickness and overall quickness is fine. He's ahead of Fredette development wise at this point. JF I think ended up about 6-2 though. I don't see a lot of differences between Girard and G Mac or Cooney except Cooney was like 6-4. Right now it's not hard to envision him at a George Mason type school averaging 20+ per.

I've seen him play about 15x and I'd recruit him just to shoot 3's even if he's the 10th guy in a 7 man rotation.

We'll see how he does in the states. I don't like his supporting cast but I wouldn't bet against him.

Take my evaluations with a grain of salt as I completely bombed on Mookie Jones lolololol, however it's hard to evaluate what's between a kids ears. I will say this Joe Girard has a very high sports IQ and that's also supported by him being a state championship quarterback. This kid has been groomed since birth for this and he's an ultra-competitive refuse to lose winner. Very very GMac-esque.

I thought the rule was you get 4 years once you enter HS and if you turn 19 too soon you dont even get that.

the fitness test thing has me wondering . i remember back in the day we had 2-3 kids who were pretty good athletes who want to play tennis/XC/golf who were denied because they couldnt pass the test and were in far better shape than some of the varsity kids. we have had a few local kids play up who were not close to athletes or size of the kids i saw fail so I wonder if the test has been lowered of the years?

I do wonder some about the scale for some sports.. its pretty easy to play up for golf/bowling/archery and i get they worry about fball/soccer/bball being physical.. But skiing/XC/tennis/badmintonc etc. why is the bar so high?

Except he's a sophomore, playing the same schools that Jimmer Fredette played.

Bad teams (class b athletes) who face guard him and box and one him and he still scores and still bangs down three after three.

Projecting him as an 18 year old senior, if he gets taller, there's no reason to think he can't be a high major P5 kid. My biggest reservation at this point is height, I think he's too short but I think his lateral quickness and overall quickness is fine. He's ahead of Fredette development wise at this point. JF I think ended up about 6-2 though. I don't see a lot of differences between Girard and G Mac or Cooney except Cooney was like 6-4. Right now it's not hard to envision him at a George Mason type school averaging 20+ per.

I've seen him play about 15x and I'd recruit him just to shoot 3's even if he's the 10th guy in a 7 man rotation.

We'll see how he does in the states. I don't like his supporting cast but I wouldn't bet against him.
Absolutely. There are a lot of mid major ( and d2) stars that can be role players. The center of the LeMoyne team that beat us was d2 1st team all american who is making good money in Europe seven years after the fact. Jimmer was POY his senior year in college. Girard seems more athletic and obviously as hard a worker. I don't care what level he projects to, the kid is a baller and most worthy of one of 13 schollies.

how ranked was that kid from UL that beat us in OT?

Honestly if you can shoot and rotate properly in the zone you can play guard in our system as long as we have the other pieces like hopefully we do.

I thought the rule was you get 4 years once you enter HS and if you turn 19 too soon you dont even get that.

the fitness test thing has me wondering . i remember back in the day we had 2-3 kids who were pretty good athletes who want to play tennis/XC/golf who were denied because they couldnt pass the test and were in far better shape than some of the varsity kids. we have had a few local kids play up who were not close to athletes or size of the kids i saw fail so I wonder if the test has been lowered of the years?

I do wonder some about the scale for some sports.. its pretty easy to play up for golf/bowling/archery and i get they worry about fball/soccer/bball being physical.. But skiing/XC/tennis/badmintonc etc. why is the bar so high?

Contact sports(which includes basketball) have a different advanced placement test than non contact sports.

how ranked was that kid from UL that beat us in OT?

Honestly if you can shoot and rotate properly in the zone you can play guard in our system as long as we have the other pieces like hopefully we do.

Girard is a sophomore. He can work his way up the rankings depending how he plays in AAU.

Contact sports(which includes basketball) have a different advanced placement test than non contact sports.
which was why i asked why tennis/xc/badminton have high thresholds to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom