Joel embid out till the big 12 tourney | Syracusefan.com

Joel embid out till the big 12 tourney

LOVE THIS GEM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...w-embiid-injury-shouldnt-affect-ku-in-seeding

"The beauty of the timing for Kansas, too, is that whatever happens in these last two games shouldn’t hurt it. ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi elevated the Jayhawks to a 1-seed this week, a reward for KU’s ridiculously tough schedule and a punishment forSyracuse’s late-season swoon. Regardless of how these last games turn out, that shouldn’t change.

The selection committee, remember, will put a virtual asterisk next to these results, recognizing that Kansas played without one of its most impactful players."

Guess Dana doesnt think Jerami is important.

BUT DONT WORRY... DANA PREEMPTIVELY STAVED OFF THE SYRACUSE COMPLAINTS WITH THIS:

"Three years ago, Syracuse’s Arinze Onuaku injured his knee in a Big East tournament game against Georgetown. The injury was initially labeled a strain, and when asked for feedback from the committee, Syracuse said it expected Onuaku back in time for NCAA play.

The Orange were awarded a 1-seed, but Onuaku didn't play in the tournament for Syracuse, which lost in the Sweet 16 to Butler."

Umm... Dana, the resumes speak for themselves. Kansas' schedule is not THAT tough. It certainly doesnt make up for a 4 loss differential. there is no need for debate.

Thats complete horsesht. Hey how about a potential 9 loss kansas team??? Give them a one seed!
Kansas has been given a waiver for their remaining conference games. Automatically awarded the number 1 overall seed.

And there is talk of postponing the tournament until Embiid's back is fully healthy.

Kansas has been given a waiver for their remaining conference games. Automatically awarded the number 1 overall seed.

And there is talk of postponing the tournament until Embiid's back is fully healthy.

It will make it all the more hilarious when they get outed in the round of 32.

Let's set aside the fact that Dana O'Neill is an awful journalist, and think about how this article is just a symptom of a bigger problem.

I live in Big 10 country, and one of the things that has driven me nuts all year long about Michigan State and the way that the media apologists make excuses for their season performance is that they were given a partial free pass for losses. Yes, they've had injuries. And yes, they've had numerous players injured all year, which has derailed an otherwise promising season. But at some point, you are what your record says you are.

Ditto Kansas.

The problem is, these are two teams that were anointed as being top 3 preseason [UK being the other**], and by golly the sports media is going to make it so no matter what the results on the court are.

Both of those teams got "credit" for losing as a function of SOS, and weren't penalized for losses as a function of injuries and / or inexperience in Kansas's case. Meanwhile, we were winning ugly and getting hammered in the sports media for games we won unimpressively. It is a BS double standard.

Case in point: Lunardi's treatment of Kansas on the weekend. I want to be clear: I had ZERO problem with us falling off of the #1 line, with 3 losses in 4 games. Meanwhile, ESPN scrolls across the ticker all afternoon on Saturday that we've dropped and Kansas has replaced us. But then Kansas goes out and loses to an UNRANKED team [to our #12 / #5 team right now], and they don't lose their spot. BS double standard.

I think it is important to reward teams that play tough schedules, and to hold teams to a standard where they need to play a certain number of tough games or get "docked" in the overall ratings, but when losses count more than wins then you know that SOS is being weighed too heavily in the equation.

It would be ri-damn-diculous for an 7-9 loss team to be awarded a #1 seed.

**The funny thing is, all three of these teams ended up being overrated this year, despite being preseason top 1, 2, and 3.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the NCAA seeding committee won't be all that influenced by all the silly media noise. Lots of arm chair prognosticators out there. The seeding will probably be fair.

I try to ignore most of the sports media noise.

Let's set aside the fact that Dana O'Neill is an awful journalist, and think about how this article is just a symptom of a bigger problem.

I live in Big 10 country, and one of the things that has driven me nuts all year long about Michigan State and the way that the media apologists make excuses for their season performance is that they were given a partial free pass for losses. Yes, they've had injuries. And yes, they've had numerous players injured all year, which has derailed an otherwise promising season. But at some point, you are what your record says you are.

Ditto Kansas.

The problem is, these are two teams that were anointed as being top 3 preseason [UK being the other**], and by golly the sports media is going to make it so no matter what the results on the court are.

Both of those teams got "credit" for losing as a function of SOS, and weren't penalized for losses as a function of injuries and / or inexperience in Kansas's case. Meanwhile, we were winning ugly and getting hammered in the sports media for games we won unimpressively. It is a BS double standard.

Case in point: Lunardi's treatment of Kansas on the weekend. I want to be clear: I had ZERO problem with us falling off of the #1 line, with 3 losses in 4 games. Meanwhile, ESPN scrolls across the ticker all afternoon on Saturday that we've dropped and Kansas has replaced us. But then Kansas goes out and loses to an UNRANKED team [to our #12 / #5 team right now], and they don't lose their spot. BS double standard.

I think it is important to reward teams that play tough schedules, and to hold teams to a standard where they need to play a certain number of tough games or get "docked" in the overall ratings, but when losses count more than wins then you know that SOS is being weighed too heavily in the equation.

It would be ri-damn-diculous for an 7-9 loss team to be awarded a #1 seed.

**The funny thing is, all three of these teams ended up being overrated this year, despite being preseason top 1, 2, and 3.
I blame Nick Saban. I'm not even joking.

LOVE THIS GEM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...w-embiid-injury-shouldnt-affect-ku-in-seeding

"The beauty of the timing for Kansas, too, is that whatever happens in these last two games shouldn’t hurt it. ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi elevated the Jayhawks to a 1-seed this week, a reward for KU’s ridiculously tough schedule and a punishment forSyracuse’s late-season swoon. Regardless of how these last games turn out, that shouldn’t change.

The selection committee, remember, will put a virtual asterisk next to these results, recognizing that Kansas played without one of its most impactful players."

Guess Dana doesnt think Jerami is important.

BUT DONT WORRY... DANA PREEMPTIVELY STAVED OFF THE SYRACUSE COMPLAINTS WITH THIS:

"Three years ago, Syracuse’s Arinze Onuaku injured his knee in a Big East tournament game against Georgetown. The injury was initially labeled a strain, and when asked for feedback from the committee, Syracuse said it expected Onuaku back in time for NCAA play.

The Orange were awarded a 1-seed, but Onuaku didn't play in the tournament for Syracuse, which lost in the Sweet 16 to Butler."

Umm... Dana, the resumes speak for themselves. Kansas' schedule is not THAT tough. It certainly doesnt make up for a 4 loss differential. there is no need for debate.

What a total piece of crap, and a terrible analogy.

1. We were a #1 seed because our W/L said we were a one seed in 2011. We were not excused any losses by the committee. Our W/L no matter who played was what gave us the #1 seed.

Now she is using the example to state that Kansas could have losses excused? What a terrible example.

2. People overrate how much "injuries" impact seeding, and the ignoring of losses. i think for the most part in recent years the committee has decided to not play god. You won or you lost - nothing is adjusted for your roster. I can't really find any recent examples where they have really punished or raised somebody because of an injury. And Kenyon Martin is no longer a recent example - his NBA career is almost over.

I live in flippin' Kansas for crying out loud and even the biggest KU homers wouldn't toss up this horse hockey ESPN is determined to spew.

I think the arguments with Michigan State were based on them having experienced significant injuries, but the expectation that they would over the last 1/3 of the season demonstrate that they had gotten those players healthy and gotten things back on track. That isn't really what has happened. While they have gotten many of those players back, their chemistry seems to have taken a big hit due to the constantly revolving lineup. I don't think they can finish strongly enough at this point to warrant excusing their losses. However, earlier in the season I thought it was a real and fair possibility.

I don't have a huge problem with making some allowances for KU having a couple of more losses because they've played a significantly more difficult schedule than others. If they are truly a one or two seed caliber club - notwithstanding their record, it isn't fair to seed them fourth and stick a fairly seeded #1 with them in the Sweet 16. I know I wouldn't want a #1 seeded Syracuse to catch them in the Sweet 16.

I think its dangerous looking only at a team's record and not looking at all that goes into that record. While it is impressive that Wichita State has won all of the games that were scheduled for it, there is no denying that their schedule is not particularly taxing. The only win that they can really stand on in terms of its merit as a "good" win is the one against St. Louis. But, in my view, that one is a little bit shaky as St. Louis lost each of the games they played this year against teams that were in the top 25 at the time of the game and none of the opponents that they beat early or in conference have risen into the current top 25. They have also had two pretty questionable losses this last week (Duquesne & VCU).

I just think this season, more than any in recent memory, requires the committee to look a bit beyond the win/loss tallies. I think the ultimate goal is to seed a bracket that would play out relatively close to form. Bottom line, I think the committee has a tough job to do this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom